Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
TIPS FOR BETTER HEART HEALTH Do What’s Good For The Heart!
1. Aim for lucky number seven. Young and middle-age adults who slept 7 hours a night have less calcium in their arteries (an early sign of heart disease) than those who sleep 6 hours or less or those who sleep 9 hours or more. 2. Keep the pressure off. Getyourbloodpressurecheckedevery 3-5 years if you’re 18-39. If you’re 40 or older, or if you have high blood pressure, check it every year. 3. Move more. To keep it simple, you can aim for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week of moderate exercise. Even if you exercise for 30 minutes a day, being sedentary for the other 23 1/2 hours is really bad for your heart. 4. Slash saturated fats. To help your heart’s arteries, cut down on saturated fats, which are mainly found in meat and full-fat dairy products. Choose leaner cuts and reduced-fat options. 5. Find out if you have diabetes. Millions of people don’t know that they have this condition. That’s risky because over time, high blood sugar damages arteries and makes heart disease more likely. 6.Think beyond the scale. Ask your doctor if your weight is OK. If you have some pounds to lose, you’ll probably want to change your eating habits and be more active. 8. Ditch the cigarettes, real and electronic. Smoking and secondhand smoke are bad for your heart. If you smoke, quit, and don’t spend time around others who smoke as well. E-cigarettesarepopular,but they’renotcompletelyproblem-free. They don’t contain the harmful chemicals in cigarette smoke but, they still do contain nicotine, so your goal should be to quit completely, not just switch to a less toxic version. 6.Cleanup. Yourheartworksbestwhen it runsonclean fuel.That means lots of whole, plant-based foods (like fruits, vegetables, nuts,andseeds)and fewer refinedorprocessed foods (likewhite bread, pasta, crackers, and cookies).
Inside: • What Can Help Arthritis Pain?
• FREE Arthritis Pain Analysis
• Relieve Back Pain In Minutes
• Patient Success Spotlight
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
FINDING THE RIGHT TREATMENT & SOURCE OF YOUR ARTHRITIS “Who Needs Relief From Arthritis Pain?”
By 8 weeks, the hands-on patients were able to walk further and faster with much less or completely resolved pain. In addition, their joint stiffness decreased and their mobility improved by 55% compared to the group who had treatments with ultrasound only. At one year, patients in the treatment group still were doing great in terms of less pain and more mobility. Other benefits included less need for surgery, with only 5% of patients in the treatment group having undergone surgery as compared to 20% with the modality only group. In general, if you are suffering from osteoarthritis, especially in the back, hip or knee, physical therapy is effective in decreasing both pain and stiffness. Physical therapy also may delay or prevent the need for more invasive treatments, like injections or surgery. Isn’t it time you did something about your arthritis pain? Call us today so we can make a positive difference in your life! Look inside to learn more about our programs and say good-bye to that aching joint pain!
There are many studies and patient success stories promoting the effectiveness of physical therapy for osteoarthritis. Our expert physical therapists at South Toledo Physical Therapy are trained in specialized hands-on therapy for patients suffering with osteoarthritis, which helps them obtain fast pain relief and improved movement. In a recent study, 83 patients with osteoarthritis were divided into two groups, receiving either hands-on physical therapy or modality only treatment with therapeutic ultrasound. The group that received hands-on therapy had treatment performed to their effected areas and also performed an exercise program in the clinic and at home. The modality only group had low- intensity therapeutic ultrasound applied to the problem area without any other interventions. Both groups were treated in the clinic twice weekly for 4 weeks. Tests were done to measure how well the patients were doing compared to their initial visit at 4 weeks out, 8 weeks out and 1 year later. The results showed the patients who had hands- on physical therapy, combined with performing specialized exercises had significant improvement in their pain, mobility, and function.
Patient Success Spotlight
“I came into the clinic and had only minimal use of my right hand do to osteoarthritis. I was was in constant pain and was dropping things almost every day. After receiving therapy at South Toledo PT, I doubled my grip strength and my pain was cut in half. I continue to do the exercises at home and things keep improving. Thank you for giving me the use of my hand back!” - Micheal B. Thank you for giving me the use of my hand back!
“Relieving Your Arthritis Pain Naturally!” WHAT CAN HELP ARTHRITIS PAIN?
Many people think that once they have osteoarthritis nothing can be done to treat it besides taking anti-inflammatory medications and other nutritional supplements. However, what most people don’t know is that physical therapy is one of the most effective treatments for OA and can help relieve symptoms significantly. Whether you have been suffering for a short or long time, a lot can be done to help joint alignment, stability, and pain. Our physical therapy focuses on addressing your individual problem, improving normal mobility, and strengthening the muscles around the joint. Different treatments are performed to relieve pain,swelling,andrestoremusclebalancearound the affected joint. We then teach you valuable techniques on how tomaintain your joint health so youcangetbacktotheactivitiesyouenjoy.Therefore, you can have a life with less pain and more movement. Call us today to find out how!
Healthy Recipe: Roquefort Pear Salad
INGREDIENTS • 1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces • 3 pears • 5 ounces Roquefort cheese • 1 avocado • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions • 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup pecans • 1/3 cup olive oil
• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar • 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar • 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard • 1 clove garlic, chopped • 1/2 teaspoon salt • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces. For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.
Refer A Friend
• Cost Effective • Non-invasive • Safe & Natural • State-of-the-art Facility Features of Physical Therapy: DO YOU HAVE ARTHRITIS PAIN?
Mention This Coupon To Receive A FREE Joint Pain ANALYSIS
Do You Have Friends Or Family Unable To Do The Following:
Who Do You Know That Needs Our Help? � Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently & securely � Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle If you know someone suffering with aches and pains, give the gift of health! Refer a friend or family member and receive a $35 dollar Visa gift card! Just pass along this newsletter and have them call us directly to schedule an appointment. When they call have themmention your name to receive your gift card. www.southtoledopt.com
Call Today! 419-380-9316
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try these stretches if you are experiencing back pain. SINGLE KNEE TO CHEST STRETCH While lying on your back, hold your knee and gently pull it up towards your chest. Hold for 30 seconds. Alternate legs and repeat 5 times. Helps With Low Back Pain
www.southtoledopt.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker