Visa Requirements Officer Candidate Pack
The University of Law, a private university, (formerly the College of Law), is one of the UK’s leading and longest established providers of legal education and training with origins dating back to 1876 with the formation of the leading tutorial firm Gibson & Weldon and later on, with the establishment of The Law Society School of Law. In 1962 the two were amalgamated to establish The College of Law. The University was the first ever independent institution to be granted degree awarding powers, gaining University title (The University of Law) in 2012 before being bought by Global University Systems in 2015. Working right at the heart of the legal profession, the University brings together teaching of the highest quality, a focus on practical skills and innovative learning styles to deliver perfect preparation for life in legal practice and ongoing professional development. The University is in an ongoing, exciting period of growth and expansion with more than 10,000 students, circa 800 staff and 14 campuses across the UK and Hong Kong. Alongside its Legal education and training, it is also expanding its Business school offering both in the UK and in Berlin. All campuses are close to thriving commercial centres, leading law firms and have strong transport links. Each campus is a modern, well-equipped professional law school providing a comfortable and stimulating learning and working environment. The University has ambitious plans for the future and anticipates a significant increase in the number of applications in 2020/21, this is on top of two previous cycles of significant applicant growth. Reporting to the Visa Compliance Manager, the purpose of the role is to assess and process the visa requirements for international students joining The University of Law. The post holder will provide first-level information and guidance to applicants to the University in regards to Tier 4 sponsorship and Tier 4 visa applications. This includes undertaking first-level checks of an applicant’s eligibility for Tier 4 sponsorship, including conducting online interviews. The University of Law has a dedicated Student Immigration Compliance and Advice (SICA) department which sits within the Academic Registry. The department provides advice and support to prospective and current students on UK study immigration and visa regulations. It is also responsible for ensuring that the University complies with its legal responsibilities as a Tier 4 sponsor licenced by the Home Office. SICA are based at the University’s London Bloomsbury campus, but support staff and students across all of the University’s UK locations. It is committed to ensuring the University remains fully compliant with the University’s Tier 4 sponsor duties, while providing an efficient and robust support service to its diverse international student body.
VISION, CORPORATE PLAN & STRATEGY
Vision and mission To be the global university of choice for the professions, by driving innovation in applied education to deliver outstanding employment outcomes. The University of Law exists to serve its students and their future employers by being global leaders in providing applied knowledge and skills.
Vision and Mission
Drawing on our heritage as one of the UK’s longest established law schools, we strive to build on our success through the ethos of IDEAS:
• Innovation - for our people, campuses, technology and business practices
Innovation and Growth
• Diversity - continuously improving the quality, quantity and flexibility of our courses
• Employability focus - ensuring our students are in demand by firms and businesses
• Ambition – inspiring the best in our students and society
• Success - academically and professionally for all
Student focus • The quality of the student experience is key to our ethos, reputation and our ability to recruit and be commercially successful We were ranked in the Top 10 for 5 core categories in the National Student Survey 2019 and in the same year were awarded Silver in the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework for our teaching, learning and outcomes. Our performance in the critical categories of teaching excellence and academic support for students is sector leading.
Widening participation We are committed to widening participation and diversity across all of the University’s programmes. • The University will continue to invest in alternative modes of study including part-time and online to enable the University to meet the needs of the students from the broadest possible range of backgrounds. Innovation and Growth • Our programme portfolio is constantly evolving to remain innovative, topical and relevant • Our reach is being extended through the creation of new campuses and partnerships Student Recruitment • Our reputation, and the global importance of the English legal system, position us well to increase overseas recruitment beyond our traditional UK-focused student base • We continue to grow student recruitment and develop our brand • We aim to provide a seamless approach to recruitment, ensuring clarity of offer and a genuine engagement with applicants throughout their application process • We continue to strengthen our ties with Alumni, celebrating their success and using our shared history to further enhance the student experience
People We strive to:
• Support the development of colleagues to enable the delivery of an even higher quality service • Recognise and reward strong performance
4. Guildford Campus
5. Leeds Campus
6. London Bloomsbury Campus
7. London Moorgate Campus
8. Manchester Campus
9. Nottingham Campus (new for 2019)
10. The University of Law at UEA in Norwich (new for 2019)
11. The University of Law in Exeter
12. The University of Law in Liverpool
13. The University of Law at Reading
All of our campuses are in thriving commercial areas and offer the same fully-resourced facilities, including well equipped IT suites with PCs for DVD and i-Tutorials, comprehensive law libraries with all the latest legal texts, quiet study areas and places to relax.
14. Hong Kong Centre (new for 2019 )
Visa Requirements Officer Main Function of Job
The primary functions of this post are:
Main Function of Job
• To assess and process the visa requirements for international students joining The University of Law • To provide first-level information and guidance to applicants to the University in regards to Tier 4 sponsorship and Tier 4 visa applications • To undertake first-level checks of an applicant’s eligibility for Tier 4 sponsorship, including conducting online interviews
Department Academic Registry / Student Immigration Compliance and Advice Reporting to Visa Compliance Manager Location London Bloomsbury Direct Reports None
The post-holder will report to the Visa Compliance Manager.
Specific Responsibilities Service Delivery
• To provide initial assessments of requests for Tier 4 sponsorship from applicants and current students against published Tier 4 guidance, including Academic Progression and English Language. • To undertake comprehensive checking of documents (including financial evidence) to ensure that each student satisfies the Tier 4 documentary requirements before a CAS is issued • To provide first-level support to applicants to the University who require assistance with the criteria for Tier 4 sponsorship and UK visa regulations • To conduct online interviews with high-risk applicants and ensure that accurate interview records are maintained for the Visa Compliance Team • To input and validate data required for Tier 4 sponsorship on the University’s admissions and student records systems. • To assist the Visa Compliance Team with regular data analysis of CAS usage and visa refusal rates • To monitor visa application outcomes and follow-up with applicants within appropriate timeframes • To advise Admissions and Student Services on the visa requirements and status of applicants and current students • To provide information and guidance to International Student Recruitment and the University’s global network of agents on applicants’ visa requirements and the status of their requests for Tier 4 sponsorship • To support record keeping obligations by ensuring that documentation is stored and retained in accordance with Appendix D of the Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance and the University’s data retention policies • To assess and verify the Right to Study for students who hold ex- isting immigration permission for the UK and update their student record accordingly • To process requests for Short-Term Study visa letters and issue the relevant documentation
• To support the work of the International Student Advice and Visa Compliance Teams and assist their staff where required • To participate in International Student Advice and Visa Compliance activities and team meetings, as well as those of the wider Academic Registry • To represent the University at internal and external events as agreed by the Head of Immigration Compliance & Advice • To support the University’s recruitment strategies by providing a high-level of customer service and professional conduct at all times • To contribute to the continuous improvement of all processes and procedures within the department
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, the job holder may be required to perform other duties as assigned by the Visa Compliance Manager from time to time.
The job holder has a duty to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons with whom they come into contact at work. The job holder also has a duty to co-operate with the University in complying with any statutory duty or requirement concerning health and safety at work. In particular, they must familiarise themselves with the Health and Safety Policy and its safety and fire procedures.
This job description is to be read in conjunction with the relevant Roles and Responsibilities Career Level document.
This job description is correct at 16 December 2019. It may vary in consultation with the post holder to reflect changes within the market place, within the Academic Registry and within the University.
Training & Education
Essential • Educated to A-level or equivalent • High level of numeracy and literacy Experience
Training & Education
Skills & Knowledge
Essential • Proven experience of working in an administrative role within the education sector • Significant experience of working as part of a busy team in a pressurised and target driven environment • Experience of delivering good customer service • Knowledge and experience of working with databases within the education sector Desirable • Good understanding of the Home Office’s regulations on Tier 4 • Understanding of the international student journey • Previous experience of working in a visa compliance context, ideally within the higher education sector Skills & Knowledge Essential • Computer literate with strong skills in Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word • Ability to prioritise and deliver a demanding workload under pressure and to tight deadlines • Excellent interpersonal skills and a customer focused approach • Excellent written and verbal communication skills • High-level of attention to detail • Ability to remain calm and professional under pressure. • Ability to work without constant supervision, but also assess when an issue needs to be escalated to senior staff Desirable • Experience of using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) or a similar IT platform
Essential • Ability to work effectively as part of a team • Self-motivated and able to work effectively without close supervision • Highly motivated and positive approach • Cultural awareness and sensitivity Special Circumstances
Essential • Flexibility in working hours will be required to meet the demands of the role • Travel between the University’s two London campuses will be required and to other campuses for certain events • There will be some restriction on when leave may be taken at peak periods, in consultation with line manager
The University is being supported on this recruitment campaign by the search consultancy The Management Recruitment Group (MRG) .
To arrange a brief conversation please contact our advisor Sian Gardiner of MRG.
Sian Gardner E: email@example.com
T: 020 3962 9900 M: 07932 717 458
Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV and covering letter.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 23rd February 2020.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14
Made with FlippingBook Ebook Creator