The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
LIFE WITHOUT BACK PAIN Can You
Imagine How Awesome It Would Be?
Aaron Fuerst, PT, DPT, CWCE
physical therapy in April of 2017 and has submitted an application to the Standards Committee. Aaron enjoys spending time with his wife Nikki of 14 years and family of 4 children. (Alex and Tommy ages 20 and 19 and Taylor and Schuyler ages 10 and 6) He enjoys coaching youth baseball in the Bourbonnais little league and the 10U Bourbonnais Braves travel baseball team. You will often find Aaron attending and participating in church activities as a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Bradley. Other activities he enjoys are fishing, attending sporting events and getting involved in local fundraisers and events. His passion is helping to change peoples lives by getting them back to the activities they love pain-free.
Aaron is a Physical Therapist, Founder and Owner of Axcess Physical Therapy. Aaron obtained his Masters in physical therapy from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, and his post-professional Doctorate in Physical Therapy from the A.T. Still University in Kirksville, MO. With over 16 years experience in outpatient orthopedics, Aaron has certification in manual and manipulative therapy through the North American Institute of Manual Therapists (NAOIMPT), and industrial rehabilitation and serves as a Matheson Certified Work and Functional Capacity evaluator. Aaron is actively involved in the Illinois state and American Physical Therapy Associations and has served as an assembly representative and legislative committee member. He has recently finished his Fellowship training in orthopedic manual
INSIDE: FindingtheSource&Pain ReliefFromYourBackPain HowShouldITakeCare OfMyBack? AHelpfulQuickExercise ToRelieveBackPain InMinutes
“Will I Ever Ride My Bike Again Without Aching Back Pain?” FINDING THE SOURCE & PAIN RELIEF FROM YOUR BACK PAIN The Axcess Bulletin The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body JUNE 2017
Is back pain causing you to move a little slower and more cautiously? If left untreated, chronic back pain can lead to long-term spinal joint and possibly nerve damage. Back pain is one of the most common physical complaints that people suffer from and more than 80% of the US population will experience back pain at some point in their lifetime. Back pain can interfere with your ability to bend, kneel, lift, reach, do work and enjoy time with your family. Not to mention, it can make you down right irritable and affect others around you. Why do I have Back Pain? Back pain occurs for a number of reasons, but has a few simple root causes: • Weakness in the spinal and core muscles of the trunk • Poor posture and strain on the spine with slouched sitting • Repetitive injury to muscles and tissues around the spine with poor lifting • Limited flexibility of the spine, hips and muscles of the thighs • Poor coordination of the abdominal, pelvic and back muscles Most people don’t seek treatment soon enough and continue to suffer with a nagging ache or pain in their back. They may even feel symptoms travel to the buttocks and legs. Many people feel that not much can be done for back pain and use medication to numb the pain to get through the day. However, medication mostly masks the pain and does nothing to address the root cause of the problem. Solutions to Back Pain Treating back pain starts with determining the true cause. A thorough evaluation of your movement, strength, posture and joint mobility can tell a lot about the true origins of your pain. Only then, can the proper plan be formulated to get you out of pain quickly and back to the activities you love. Whether you just tweaked your back or have been suffering for a long time, seeing one of our spine specialists can help you return to a more active and pain-free life.
• Physical Therapy • Joint Mobilization/Manipulation • Manual Therapy • Trigger Point Dry Needling • Therapeutic Taping • Work Conditioning • Functional Capacity Evaluations
“HOW SHOULD I TAKE CARE OFMY BACK?”
1. Keep a Good Posture When you are standing, imagine a string through the top of your head lifting you straight up. This puts your neck, shoulders, spine and hips in natural alignment. With sitting, make sure you sit back in the chair with your feet on the floor and your lower back supported. Your shoulders should not slouch when sitting. Avoid soft couches when you can. 2. Lift Properly Picking things up is a normal part of our day. Even if you pick up something light, your back muscles have to lift the weight of your upper torso and control that movement. Make sure youalways facewhatyouneed topickup,squat keeping your spine straight and push with your leg muscles. This helps reduce the excessive pressure on your spine.
3. Stay Flexible Flexibility is key to maintaining a healthy back. Bykeepingyourbodyflexible, thenormal forces of movement and lifting can be distributed across the spine, rather than focused onto a few segments, which can then fail. An easy stretching routine everyday can keep you feeling great and put a spring in your step. 4. Stay Strong You have hundreds of muscles, which control the movement of your spine. Major muscles that support the spine are called your core muscles and include your abdominal, pelvis, spinal and hip muscles. By keeping your core muscles strong, you support your spine and have the ability to easily control lifting, quick movements, bending and a lot more.
5. Physical Therapy Our physical therapists are medical experts in evaluating spine and body movement. By having a regular check up, you can make sure your body is in good condition to tackle the activities you love. If you have a history of back pain, injury or are currently experiencing aches and pains, we can analyze your problem and construct a treatment program that will work best for your individual problem. With soothing hands-on therapy and targeted easy exercises we can help you return quickly to feeling your best. Even if you suffer from severe pain we can help you get out of pain and living the life you deserve. Call Today!
Healthy Recipe: SKILLET CHICKEN & PARM PAELLA
INGREDIENTS • 4 teaspoons canola oil • 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size strips • 1 small red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips • 1 small green sweet pepper, cut into bite- size strips • 1 medium onion, chopped • 2 garlic, minced • 1 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes • 3/4 cup peas • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed • 1/2 teaspoon paprika • 1/4 teaspoon salt • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper • 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron/ground turmeric
What is Joint Mobilization? Joint Mobilization/Manipulation is a manual therapy technique comprised of a continuum of skilled passive movements to joints and/or related soft tissues that are applied at varying speeds and amplitudes, including a small amplitude/high velocity therapeutic movement to regain normal joint motion and function. Your therapist will select the most appropriate and safe technique following a thorough evaluation of the joint or area in question. Mobilization or manipulation can assist with proper scar formation, restoration of proper joint mobility and promote pain relief depending on the technique and treatment selected by your therapist. Call Today! 815.614.2100
DIRECTIONS In a large skillet heat half of the oil. Cook chicken strips in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from skillet. Set aside. Add remaining half of the oil to the skillet. Add sweet pepper, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until peppers and onion are tender. Add undrained stewed tomatoes, frozen peas, oregano, paprika, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and saffron or turmeric. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the brown rice, shrimp, and cooked chicken. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Makes 4 servings (1-1/2 cups each).
• 2 cups cooked brown rice • 6 ounces peeled shrimp
Who do you know that needs our help? Refer a Friend Do You Have Friends or Family Unable to Do The Following? 9 Move without pain 9 Bend and move freely
Free Mobile Download Get Easy Relief For Your Pain With A Simple Click... 9 Balance confidently and securely 9 Sit for long periods comfortably 9 Walk for long distances 9 Live an active and healthy lifestyle Call Today! 815.614.2100
Patient Success Spotlight
I feel stronger and can mover a lot easier.
“I came to Axcess Physical Therapy to learn how to become stronger and prevent falls. I learned that as well as how to manage the curvature of my back. I was shown how not to twist my back and make it stronger. Everythingwas explained clearly.The best trick I learned is how to support my back in the car and while sitting at the sewing machine. This has lowered my pain greatly. I feel stronger and can mover a lot easier. I can do my work around the house with greater ease.” -Barbara P
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
Do you or someone you back or neck pain? As a current or past patient you have access to this valuable information, at yourfingertips.Startfeeling better today in the privacy of your home. Go to www.spinebook. net/axcesspt for your free download. This is the easiest way to get this information to our patients. Download and share with friends and family today!
LOWER TRUNK ROTATIONS Lying on your back with your knees bent, gently rock your knees side-to-side. Repeat 8 times on both sides. Loosens Low Back www.simpleset.net
Download at: www.spinebook.net/axcesspt
A Day of FREE Exams! • C E R T I F I C A T E •
• WHAT YOU GET: FREE 30-minute one-on-one appointment with one of our Physical Therapists • WHEN: July 18th from 9 am-5 pm
• WHY: To Celebrate Summer and help you feel great!
• WHAT YOU NEED TO DO: 815.614.2100
This coupon may be given to friends & family!
Now Is The Time To Get Your Pain Free Consultation!
Call Today! 815.614.2100
PROMOTION EVER ADay of Free Exams! OUR GREATEST July 18th from 9 am-5 pm •A Special Offer•
The First 8 People To Register Will Receive A FREE GIFT!
We are celebrating summer and want our patients to be fit and healthy so they can enjoy summer activities. We are providing a Day of Free Exams! The Free Exam includes an exclusive 30-minute one-on- one appointment with one of our world-class physical therapists. We will talk with you about the history of your condition. We will take measurements to test how well you are moving, test your strength and balance and evaluate and determine the CAUSE of your pain. Bottom line, we will determine what you need to feel better and enjoy life. These exams are ideal for people suffering with pain from:
Who’s Eligible? We are celebrating summer and we want our valued patients to enjoy it pain free. We are having a DAY of completely Free Exams for: • All past patients who have not been seen in PT in the last month • All present patients who have another problem currently not being treated
•Lower Back Pain •Arthritis •Sciatica
•Balance issues including fear of falling •Vertigo and Dizziness •Shoulder Pain •Knee Pain •Problems Walking
•Neck Pain •Headaches
• All loved ones, family, friends, neighbors and co-workers of our past and present patients
If you are having pain or problems with day to day activities such as walking, standing, sitting for long periods, going up or down stairs, getting in or out of the car, sleeping or driving then you should schedule your exam now.
If you are a past or present patient then call 815-614-2100 to schedule your Free Exam Today!
If you are a past or present patient or if you are referring a friend or family member or a stubborn spouse… Give them this insert and tell them to call us to schedule their free exam. A DAY OF FREE EXAMS! Call Today! 815.614.2100
Appointments are free but limited; the day has 30 spots available.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker