Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
“How Can I Get Rid Of That Nagging Pain InMy Back? ” Finding The Source To Your Back Pain
Is back pain causing you to move a little slower and more cautiously? If left untreated, chronic back pain can lead to long-term spinal joint and possibly nervedamage.Backpain isoneof themostcommonphysicalcomplaints that people suffer from and more than 80% of the US population will experience back pain at some point in their lifetime. Back pain can interfere with your ability to bend, kneel, lift, reach, do work and enjoy time with your family. Not to mention, it can make you down right irritable and affect others around you. Why do I have Back Pain? Back pain occurs for a number of reasons, but has a few simple root causes: • Weakness in the spinal and core muscles of the trunk • Poor posture and strain on the spine with slouched sitting • Repetitive injury to muscles and tissues around the spine with poor lifting • Limited flexibility of the spine, hips and muscles of the thighs • Poor coordination of the abdominal, pelvic and back muscles Most people don’t seek treatment soon enough and continue to suffer with a nagging ache or pain in their back. They may even feel symptoms travel to the buttocks and legs. Many people feel that not much can be done for back pain and use medication to numb the pain to get through the day. However, medication mostly masks the pain and does nothing to address the root cause of the problem. Solutions to Back Pain Treating back pain starts with determining the true cause. A thorough evaluation of your movement, strength, posture and joint mobility can tell a lot about the true origins of your pain. Only then, can the proper plan be formulated to get you out of pain quickly and back to the activities you love. Whether you just tweaked your back or have been suffering for a long time, seeing one of our spine specialists can help you return to a more active and pain-free life.
Most any type of exercise can reduce your risk of low-back pain by between 25% to 40%.
JAMA Internal Medicine, Jan. 2016
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK
1. Keep a Good Posture Whenyouarestanding, imagineastring through the top of your head lifting you straight up. This puts your neck, shoulders, spine and hips in natural alignment. With sitting, make sure you sit back in the chair with your feet on the floor and your lower back supported. Your shoulders should not slouch when sitting. Avoid soft Picking things up is a normal part of our day. Even if you pick up something light, your back muscles have to lift the weight of your upper torso and control that movement. Make sure you always face what you need to pick up, squat keeping your spine straight and push with your leg muscles. This helps reduce the excessive pressure on your spine. couches when you can. 2. Lift Properly
3. Stay Flexible Flexibility is key to maintaining a healthy back. By keeping your body flexible, the normal forces of movement and lifting can be distributed across the spine, rather than focused onto a few segments,whichcan then fail.Aneasystretching routine everyday can keep you feeling great and You have hundreds of muscles, which control themovementofyourspine.Majormuscles that support the spine are called your core muscles and includeyourabdominal,pelvis,spinalandhip muscles. By keeping your core muscles strong, you support your spine and have the ability to easily control lifting, quick movements, bending and a lot more. put a spring in your step. 4. Stay Strong
5. Physical Therapy Our physical therapists are medical experts in evaluating spine and body movement. By having a regular check up, you can make sure your body is in good condition to tackle the activities you love. If you have a history of back pain, injury or are currently experiencing aches and pains, we can analyze your problem and construct a treatment program that will work best for your individual problem. With soothing hands-on therapy and targeted easy exercises we can help you return quickly to feeling your best. Even if you suffer from severe pain we can help you get out of pain and living the life you deserve. Call Today!
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
LOWER TRUNK ROTATIONS Lying on your back with your knees bent, gently rock your knees side-to-side. Repeat 8 times on both sides. Loosens Low Back www.simpleset.net
Our Therapy Services
• Balance & Proprioception Training • Electric Stimulation • Functional Mobility Exercises • Moist Heat & Cryotherapy • Spine Therapy • Return To Sport Training After An Injury • Soft Tissue Adhesion Removal • Therapeutic Ultrasound • Trigger Points • Chronic Pain & Fibromyalgia
• Evidence Based Therapeutic Exercise • Medical Massage • Muscle Energy Techniques & Mobilizations • Skilled Manual Therapy & Mobilizations • Supervised Medical Treatments • Total Joint Replacement Post-Surgical Aftercare • Vestibular Rehabilitation
CALL TODAY! (630) 637-9955
Refer A Friend
Patient Success Spotlight
Who Do You Know That Needs Our Help? Do You Have Friends Or Family Unable To Do The Following:
I have the confidence to do more things!
“My experience here has been very good. I have appreciated the small and more intimate environment as well as the individual attention from the therapist, Samir and his assistant, Yaney. Appreciated the fact that I could make consistent times for my therapy. My back
pain is very much improved. I have the confidence to do more things around the house. My back has not presentedanypainwhile in therapy. Ihavebeenable towash thekitchen floorwithoutdreading it. Ialsohave been able to do some weeding too!” – Suzanne B.
� Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle
� Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently and securely
If you know someone suffering with aches and pains give the gift of health. Refer them to Activa Physical Therapy today. Pass along this newsletter or have them call us directly to schedule an appointment.
Patients who stay fit avoid future injury! At Activa Physical Therapy our goal is to help you live a healthier and happier life! Our unique combination of Physical Therapy and Fitness not only enables us to rehabilitate you when your body is not at its best, but also gives us the tools to help you continue to improve your quality of life once you are healed! 63% Of Adults in The U.S. are Overweight or Obese
Now is the time for resolutions What will be your resolutions in 2017?
1. Be purposeful in everything you do. Striveforpurpose inyourdailyactivities. Do you just eat lunch or do you enrich relationshipswhileyoueat? Whatpurpose do those two sitcoms serve you every night? What is the purpose of eating thatbagofchips? More importantly,what typesofconsequencesawaityounow that you’ve indulged? Be purposeful in everything you do. Walk with purpose and people are more likely to respect your time. 2. Resolvenottobemediocre,even in how you eat. Use the freshness of the new year as an excuse for avoiding mediocrity. This can be a challenging task because industry markets products and services to the lowest common denominator.
Junk food is marketed to the lowest common denominator. Fast food, for example, is produced cheaply and sold cheaply. Sitcom television is geared toward the masses. The people who produce sitcoms even provide a laugh track so that you’ll know when most people laugh. Give yourself anupgrade. Resolve todistanceyourself from average. 3. Schedule exercise and stretching. Exercise is more effective when it is regularandsystematic. Itcanbedifficult to schedule exercise unless time is pre- committed. Ifyouneedhelpwithexercise or ifyouhavepain that isholdingyouback. Contact us at Activa Physical Therapy andwecanhelpyoumeet this resolution.
Ryan Roschman has joined the Activa team, having recently graduated in 2016 from the College of DuPage as a Physical Therapist Assistant. Ryan developed his interest in physical therapy after years of working as a personal trainer and high school coach and enjoying the personal relationships he was able to build withhisstudentsandclients.Heembraces thephilosophyofputtingpatientsfirst and providing a supportive, compassionate environment where patients can heal and become stronger. He believes patients can not only return to their previous levelof function,butalsobecomemoreawareofhow injurieshappenandprevent them in the future. He enjoys focusing on the uniqueness of each patient with educationbeing thekey foroptimalhealthand thebestpossible lifestyle.Outside of work, Ryan enjoys spending time with family and friends, instructing clients as a personal trainer, and staying active.
NAPERVILLE 1935 Springbrook Square Drive Suite 105 Naperville, Illinois P: (630) 637-9955 F: (630) 637-9957
HOURS Monday – Friday: 9AM – 7PM Saturday: 8AM – 1PM Sunday: Closed
SAMIR SHARMA PT, DPT, Founder
FREE DOWNLOAD LOOK INSIDE
ATTENTION BACK PAIN SUFFERERS 30 YEARS & OLDER!
“I’ve put this Free Report together that shows you the 5 natural ways to stop your back & neck pain.” SAMIR SHARMA PT, DPT, Founder After treating hundreds of patients with back and neck problems, I want to share with you these 5 simple things you can do at home, to start feeling great.
• Is your mind on your back and neck pain instead of your life? • Have loved ones stopped listening to your complaints because they have heard it so many times before? • Do you feel really stiff when you try to get out of bed in the morning? • Do you have to think twice before you pick things up? If You’re Nodding Yes Then Now is The Time to Make Your First Step in The Right Direction and Take Charge of How You Feel, DOWNLOAD THIS BOOK TODAY! Learn 5 Simple Ways To Stop Your Back & Neck Pain Naturally With This FREE eBook
DOWNLOAD INSTANTLY AT: www.spinebook.net/ActivaPT
FIND OUT IF YOU ARE MOVING LIKE YOU SHOULD
Are You As Flexible As You Should Be?
Performing at Your Best Whether you are just out for a walk or an avid athlete, we can help you walk, run and play better. With our motion analysis, strength testing, coordination testing and more, we can spot your muscles and joints that need flexibility, strength or coordination. A specific training and treatment plan is then put together to help you reach your peak movement with the least effort. Discover how our programs transforms your back pain from a pressing problem, to a distant memory, allowing you to live a happy, active and pain-free life.
Can you do these simple tests to see if your hips and legs are as flexible and strong as they should be? Try them for yourself and let us know how you did. Use caution and common sense when attempting these tests; do not continue if they cause pain or discomfort. Do not attempt if you have had a hip replacement. • From standing, can you touch your toes? This indicates hip and low back flexibility. • In sitting can you comfortably cross your legs so that your ankle is resting on the other knee? Does one knee go further down than the other? This indicates hip flexibility. If one hip is tighter than the other, it can wreck havoc with your walking and even cause knee pain. • Keeping your feet flat on the floor and holding onto something solid, how far can you squat down? You should be able to squat all the way down so your buttocks almost touch
your heels. Don’t let your heels pop up! If you favor movement to one side, you probably have hip weakness on that side or limited motion in the hip joint. • Standing near a counter top put one foot in front of the other so that you are touching heel to toe. Without putting your hands down, see if you can balance for 10 seconds, keeping yourself steady. If you cannot, then you have trouble with the coordination of your balance from the nerve endings in your hip, knees, ankles and feet. Restoring Normal Pain Free Motion Restoring normal motion is key to alleviating pain and allowing you to do the activities you love to do safely. Physical therapy is the key to restoring normal joint and muscle motion. Our medical experts pinpoint the key problem areas that you may not even be aware of and focus on a custom treatment plan that will restore your normal pain-free motion.
Pain affects more Americans than
diabetes, heart disease and cancer combined. - National Institutes of Health, 2010
CALL TODAY! (630) 637-9955
goactiva.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook HTML5