N E W S L E T T E R
CARRY ON IN LIFE WITHOUT STRAINING YOUR SHOULDERS
OUR SERVICES THERAPEUTIC EXERCISE BALANCE TRAINING POSTURAL RESTORATION GAIT TRAINING JOINT MOBILIZATION MANUAL TRACTION SOFT TISSUE MOBILIZATION / MYOFASCIAL RELEASE
N E W S L E T T E R
TAKE PERFECT SELFIES WITHOUT SHOULDER PAIN INSIDE : • Top 3 Ways to Avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome • Free Workshop
• Patient Success Spotlight • Relieve Shoulder Pain In Minutes
Do you find your shoulders aching at the end of the day or when having to reach for items? Why your shoulders hurt. Your shoulders have to move through an incredible 180 degrees of motion, while still maintaining stability and strength. The shoulder joint acts like a ball in a very shallow socket that is part of the shoulder blade. Some of the most important muscles in the rotator cuff are actually the smallest. The rotator cuff is made up of 4 muscles that are small, but vital to keeping the ball stable in the socket. When these muscles are weak or injured, the ball can jam up into the socket of the shoulder blade, causing inflammation and pain. Try these simple actions to improve the health of your shoulders and alleviate that nagging ache or sharp pain for good. 1. Sit up tall! – The number one reason for repetitive injury and pain in the shoulders is poor posture. When the ball moves forward in the socket, the rotator cuff becomes vulnerable to injury! There is less space for the muscles which can then get “pinched”.The muscles are also overstretched, making them weaker.
2. Strengthen your rotator cuff muscles – By keeping your rotator cuff muscles strong, you help guide your shoulder joints, lessening the chance for injury and inflammation to occur. A simple exercise to perform is while sitting or standing, keep elbows at your side bent to 90 degrees and thumbs up. Push your hands out like opening a newspaper. Repeat 10 times. 3. Improve your scapula stability – The shoulder blade makes up an important part of your shoulder complex. It has many different muscles attached to it, pulling at just the right time for proper shoulder movement. Improve the shoulder blade muscles by frequently firing them. In sitting or standing, drop your shoulders slowly down and back. This wakes up those important muscles which help guide the shoulder blade when using your arm. Perform 10-15 repetitions, holding the contraction for 5 seconds frequently throughout the day. By working on these 3 simple actions, you can dramatically improve the performance and feel of your shoulders. If your shoulders feel weak, achy, or painful give us a call today. We will definitely get your shoulders feeling limber, stronger and allow you to get back to doing life’s everyday activities pain-free.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION TODAY GET RID OF YOUR NAGGING SHOULDER PAIN!
Top 3 Ways to Avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Catch CTS early and treat it before nerve damage occurs. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a very common occurrence, especially in those that are at a computer all day. The carpal tunnel is in your wrist and made up of bones of the hand and ligaments that form the ceiling of the tunnel. With typing, pressure is frequently put on the wrists and base of the palm. In addition, the frequent use of the tendons that glide through this area, during typing can cause the tendons to become irritated and swollen, decreasing the space in the tunnel. Your median nerve, which supplies sensation and muscle control to your thumb and first two fingers can become compressed. This is why with CTS, many people first experience tingling or numbness in the thumb and first two fingers. While this can be a sign of nerve compression, the good news is that this can be prevented and even reversed quite quickly. Seeing a physical therapist right away is essential, but here are some tips you can do in the meantime: 1. Stretch your wrists and hands. Stand up and grab the tips of your fingers with the other hand. With your arm outstretched, gently stretch your fingers back until you feel a gentle pulling in your hand and wrist. Hold this for 15-30 seconds and repeat on both sides for 3 times. Do this frequently throughout the day. 2. Improve your posture at work. If you slouch at the keyboard, this puts the neck in a bad position and can put more pressure on your wrists, decreasing blood flow to your hands. Sit tall and have your keyboard slightly lower than the level of your elbow.
3. Stretch your chest and shoulders. Improving your shoulder and chest mobility increases the circulation in your hands.The better your circulation, the less inflammation can build up in the hand and wrist. CTS is a condition that you can prevent with these tips. However, if you start to notice the tingling, numbness or weakness in your hand, see a physical therapist right away. It is much better to catch CTS early, than after nerve damage has occurred. If you feel that you might be experiencing CTS or know someone with these symptoms, call us today to speak with one of our specialists.
Call us today to schedule an appointment (907) 562-2118.
Guests?Quick ideasfornutritiousandamazingbreakfastsbeforesendingchildrentoschoolorheadingtowork? Portablesnacks?Thisevolved fromabumpercropof rhubarbandberries (and frozenworks)!Go for it!Serves6. Blueberry Rhubarb Breakfast Bars Recipe
• 2 tsp lemon juice • 2 tbsp maple sugar • 1 tbsp arrowroot • 1 tsp vanilla Crumb Topping • 1 cup almond flour • 1 tbsp coconut oil or grass-fed butter • 1 tsp vanilla • ½ tsp cinnamon • Optional: ½ cup sliced almonds or pecan pieces or sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds… mix it up
• 2 cups almond flour • 2 tbsp tapioca flour • ¼ cup grass-fed butter OR coconut oil*, melted • ¼ cup pure maple syrup or raw honey • 1 tsp vanilla • Pinch of sea salt Filling • 1 ½ cups Organic Frozen Wild Blueberries • 1 ½ cups sliced rhubarb stems
INSTRUCTIONS Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Combine the crust ingredients and press into the bottom of the lined baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes. While baking, toss together filling ingredients in a bowl, set aside. In another bowl, mix together the topping. Once crust has baked, pour filling on top and then sprinkle on the topping. Bake for 30 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and oozing. Let cool completely before cutting and serving. Make ahead and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. The filling variations are as endless as your imagination and available fruit. Isn’t it great that we can freeze fruit for later? Find more healthy recipe makeovers at www.OurNutritionKitchen.com Contributed by Marie Cecchini Sternquist, MS CHHC who uses Functional Nutrition and Nutrition Response Testing to address inflammatory processes that prevent true healing.
CALL US TODAY FOR AN APPOINTMENT (907) 562-2118
Patient Success Spotlight
Who Do You Know That Needs Our Help?
Do You Have Friends Or Family That Can’t:
� Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently & securely
� Sit for long periods � Walk for long distances � Live active and healthy
Name: Refered by:
“I can do so much more than what I used to be able to!!” “Dr. Wise has absolutely turned my life around. Within about 8 or 9 sessions I was almost pain-free when before I came in, I was in constant pain. I can do so much more than what I used to be able to!!” - B.A. WAND SHOULDER FLEXION Lying on your back and holding a wand, palm face down on both sides, slowly raise the wand towards overhead. Repeat 3 sets of 8 reps. Strengthens Shoulders www.simpleset.net Relieve Shoulder Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing shoulder pain.
Call (907) 562-2118 Today! A free gift for every person you refer to Wise Physical Therapy who becomes a patient!
WE MAKE IT EASY TO LEAVE A REVIEW!
1. Open your smart phone to the camera app 2. Center the QR code above in the frame (this will take you directly to our Google Review page) 3. Tell us how we’ve done! INSTRUCTIONS:
FIND US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
1200 Airport Heights Drive Suite 170 (Building E) Anchorage, AK 99508-0031
www.wisept.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online