Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
6 FOODCHOICES TO EASE ARTHRITIS PAIN
1. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage. These veggies are part of the cruciferous family, and they are full of a compound called sulforaphane, which helps slow cartilage damage in joints due to osteoarthritis. Try adding broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale or cauliflower to your salad or stir-fry. 2. Fatty fish. Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, trout and mackerel are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight inflammation. Try adding fish to your diet a couple of times a week. If you’re not a big fan of fish, ask your doctor about taking an omega-3 supplement. 3. Garlic. Garlic is a member of the allium family—which also includes onions and leeks. These items contain a compound called diallyl disulfide that may help with a number of diseases—including arthritis.
4. Tart cherries. Some people with arthritis have found relief from products made from tart cherries. The ingredient in cherries that helps with joint symptoms is the same one that gives this fruit its red color— anthocyanin. 5. Turmeric. One of the best-researched inflammation fighters isn’t a food at all, but a spice. Tumeric contains a compound called curcumin. The compound has been used for centuries in India to ward off inflammatory diseases. You’ll find this yellow spice in Indian cuisines—particularly curries.
Inside: • Living Life Without Back Pain
6. Vitamin C. Antioxidants in vitamin C may slow the progression of OA. You can get vitamin C from strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, or cantaloupe. However, we warn you against taking supplements with much higher doses than 65 to 85 milligrams, because in large doses vitamin C can increase the risk of kidney stones.
• Are Your Feet Causing Your Back Pain?
• Relieve Back Pain In Minutes
• Patient Success Spotlight
LIVING LIFE WITHOUT BACK PAIN Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body “Gain Relief From The Leading Cause Of Disability!”
Fromadullachetosharp,stabbingpain,backpain isoneofthemostcommon conditions in the world. As many as 8 in 10 people suffer from some sort of back pain throughout their lifetime. Back pain is also the leading cause of disability worldwide, making it very difficult for some people to move, work, or even function normally. While it is one of the most debilitating conditions a person can have, there are many types of treatment to help relieve the symptoms. Is Bed Rest Good For Your Back? At one time, if an individual hurt their back, their doctor would prescribe bed rest until a desired amount of relief was achieved. Since then, prolonged bed rest has actually been linked to an increase in symptoms for back pain sufferers.Newstudiesshowthat teachingpeoplehow tocorrecttheirposture (in conjunction with performing strengthening exercises and stretching) will leadthemtoareturntonormalfunctioning levelsmorequicklythanrestalone. With many back pain sufferers, the bones and discs of the spine and the musclessurrounding thespinehaveapoorbloodsupply.Unlikeotherpartsof the body, the back relies more on movement for the transport of oxygenated bloodandothervitalnutrients.Exerciseandaerobicactivitysuchaswalking, hiking or swimming help the body efficiently metabolize nutrients and also helps distribute them to spinal structures that are in need of repair. It is no secret that exercise and movement are key to maintaining muscle tone, but what is not widely known is they also help maintain bone density throughout thebody. Studieshaveshown thatbonedensity isbestpreserved
through resistance and strength training along with a proper diet rich in calcium, magnesium and other essential vitamins and minerals. At South Toledo Physical Therapy we will teach you how to strengthen your back with proper exercises that can be incorporated into your daily routine. We will also teach you how to loosen structures in and around your back with proper stretching. If you are having any type of back pain, please call STPT today and we will help get you back to living a pain-free life!
Patient Success Spotlight
“When I started therapy I had low back pain that averaged 7/10. I also had symptoms going down both of my legs. Within two weeks my pain was down to 2-3/10 and I no longer had any leg pain. By the end of my treatment I no longer had any pain and also had increased mobility in my spine. I want to thank STPT for giving me my life back!” - Karen F. I no longer had any pain!
“You Would Never Expect This Body Part To Cause Back Pain!” ARE YOUR FEET CAUSING YOUR BACK PAIN?
While exercise is among the best treatments for back pain, the root cause of your pain may surprise you. Imagine for a second that your body is a car and your feet are the tires. What happens to a car when the tires or shock absorbers wear out? The whole car feels the effect. With every step you take, your feet meet the ground and your legs absorb the shock of walking, running, jumping, climbing, and other physical activity. The greater the impact of each step, the more effect that impact has on your body. This stress can easily cause back pain if your feet are poorly supported and there is weakness in your legs and hips. Fortunately, this abnormal strain can be corrected through the use of proper footwear (in conjunction with strengthening exercises). Regardless of the source of your back pain, physical therapy can help get you back on your feet, pain-free. Your individual health history, your body’s strengths and weaknesses, and your desired level of functioning will determine your physical therapy program. You will be taught exercises to build strength and stability and improve your balance. In addition, you will receive modalities, such as ultrasound and electrical stimulation, which will also aid in the healing process.
Healthy Recipe: Tasty Chili
• 2 (16-ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained • 2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes • 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder • 1 teaspoon salt • 1 teaspoon pepper • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
INGREDIENTS • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef • 1 onion, chopped • 1 small green bell pepper, chopped • 2 garlic cloves, minced
2 7 4 6 5 4 9 1
DIRECTIONS Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Place mixture in 5-quart slow cooker; stir in beans and remaining ingredients. Cook at HIGH 3 to 4 hours or at LOW 5 to 6 hours. Notes: If you want to thicken this saucy chili, stir in finely crushed saltine crackers until the desired thickness is achieved.
• Cost Effective • Non-invasive • Safe & Natural • State-of-the-art Facility Features of Physical Therapy: DO YOU HAVE BACK PAIN?
Refer A Friend
Mention This Coupon To Receive A FREE Back Pain ANALYSIS
Do You Have Friends Or Family Unable To Do The Following:
Who Do You Know That Needs Our Help? � Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently & securely � Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle If you know someone suffering with aches and pains, give the gift of health! Refer a friend or family member and receive a $35 dollar Visa gift card! Just pass along this newsletter and have them call us directly to schedule an appointment. When they call have themmention your name to receive your gift card. www.southtoledopt.com
Call Today! 419-380-9316
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
Print sudoku http://1sudoku.com
8 2 5 1 2 8 3 6 1 4 5 7 1 7 8 6 7 The objective is to fill a 9x9 grid so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3x3 boxes (also called blocks or regions) contains the digits from 1 to 9. A cell is the smallest block in the game. A row, column and region consists of 9 cells and the whole game consists of 81 cells.
ALT. ARM & LEG LIFTS Start on hands and knees, hips and shoulders at 90°. Lift one arm straight out in front. At the same time, lift opposite leg straight back. Repeat 8 times on both sides. Hold for 3 seconds. Helps lower back
3 8 6
3 2 6 7 4
4 8 3 9 5 8
7 9 5 1 3
6 3 8
n°119362 - Level Easy
n° 110504 - Level Easy
5 9 7 www.southtoledopt.com
4 8 6 7 3
7 1 6
4Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker