Boarding Prospectus 2021

Dulwich College Boarding Prospectus

Here we answer some of the formal and administrative questions asked by families thinking about boarding for their sons. If you have further questions please do contact us. Parents’ FAQ Do I need a visa? Does the College issue CAS documents? All students who are not citizens of a country in the European Union or EEA (European Economic Area) will need visas to study and live in the UK. The College can issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (known as a CAS) which will contain reference numbers and information you will need for your visa application. Parents are asked to contact the College in May or June and provide a copy of their son’s passport and the College will then send the CAS by e-mail. Do I need to report to the police station within 7 days of arrival in the UK? If you obtain a visa to come to the UK, that visa will tell you whether you have to register with the police on arrival in the UK. The College will help you with this process if you are asked to do it. IELTS; do boys need qualifications? IELTS qualifications are not required when applying to the College as each candidate will be tested in English. However, Upper School boys are expected to have an IELTS qualification by the time they arrive. A high level in spoken and written English is necessary at all points of entry. Universities in the UK and overseas usually require students to have reached a certain proficiency in English before offering a place. Our EAL department will work with pupils in groups, and one on one, to help them reach the required level as soon as possible. What happens to boarders in the holidays? All boys go home or stay with a guardian during the holidays. Boarders must leave on the final day of term, but can return to the boarding house the day before school begins to unpack and settle in. The Upper School boarding houses remain open during the Summer term’s half term break, as boys are in the middle of their A level examinations, but all houses are closed for the October and February half term breaks. All term dates are on the College website.

Do I need to appoint a guardian for my son? Every pupil (even those 18 years old or over) whose parents are resident overseas must have a guardian living in this country. The guardian must be at least 25 years old, and should live close enough to the College to carry out his/her duties effectively. What do the fees include? Food and textbooks are included in the fees. Some house activities and trips will be covered, but others may be added to the school bill. This will always be made clear in advance. Tuition fees for the following year are finalised each April and the invoice for the first term’s fees is issued at the end of July. What are exeat weekends? There are four exeat weekends a year for pupils in Years 7 to 11, two in the Michaelmas (Autumn) term and one in each of the Lent (Spring) and Summer terms. The boarding houses close on Friday (5pm) and open on Sunday (5pm). The dates are on the College website. There are no exeat weekends in Years 12 and 13. Where can I buy a school uniform? All Dulwich College uniform is available from the School Shop, the Commissariat, which is situated in the College campus. Please check our website for opening times and contact them directly with any queries. Do I need to bring bedding? All bedding is provided, but boys are welcome to bring their own if they prefer. Is transport to/from the airport available? The journey to Dulwich College is around one hour, from both Heathrow and Gatwick airports. Please contact the Housemaster if you would like to organise airport transfers. This can be done at the beginning and end of each holiday, and the cost is usually added to the next term’s fee bill.

When do the boys do their homework? There is supervised prep time each day during the week (75 minutes for the younger boys, 120 minutes for the Upper School students). Boys use classrooms/ computer suites and a member of the teaching staff is always on duty, to help students if necessary, and to ensure a studious atmosphere. In their final year, boys are allowed to study in the boarding house during prep time, either in their study bedrooms, or in the house IT suites. Is there an induction programme for new boys? Induction is an ongoing process, and continues throughout the year of joining Dulwich College. However, a full programme is laid on for new boys over the first few weeks of the Michaelmas term. During this period they will participate in a team building morning, tour the College and the local area and meet all those staff likely to play a part in their lives over the coming months and years.

What do boarders do at the weekend? There are no lessons at the weekend. The College has extensive sporting facilities, many of which are open to boarders at the weekend, and many boys participate in College teams and play matches against other schools on Saturdays. Music practice rooms can be available on request. House trips and activities are often laid on at the weekend, but it is also important to allow boys some time to relax, recharge their batteries, socialise or study. All meals are provided in the College dining hall throughout the weekend. What happens if my child feels ill at school? We have a fully staffed Medical Centre where the boys report to if they are feeling unwell. If they are ill during the night the Housemasters have training in the provision of basic medicines, and there is also an on call nurse available 24 hours a day.



Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online