Aire Serv - June 2018 | 845-256-6158


medical experts on our side to keep that from happening. We learned that whenever he had a sleep apnea episode, he needed to be gently nudged to wake up and reactivate the natural process of breathing. Our doctor, who I’ll always be grateful for, devised a novel solution. They set up a device to automatically move him every once in a while to prevent the episodes from lasting a long time. Honestly, that may have saved Nick’s life. Even after we first brought him home, we were anxious about his future. It probably took two more months, monitoring him nearly every second, for us to relax and realize that everything would be okay. Now he works for Aire Serv as our office coordinator and takes calls, dispatches the team, and takes care of anything we need. In the early days of the business, I used to drag him along on calls to fix equipment, but we quickly figured out that his talent was better spent on the computer, managing things in the office, and improving nearly every process in the business. With Father’s Day coming up, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about how proud I am of Nick and the adult he’s become. He’s an easygoing, highly intelligent guy with a good head on his shoulders. And you can’t forget his great sense of humor. I’m so grateful that he works with me directly every day. For the holiday, he’ll probably come hang out at our house for a bit, and maybe we’ll go cast a line out in the pond in the backyard. But the truth is, the best gift I could receive this Father’s Day was already given to me, over 27 years ago, when Nick came into my life and transformed it forever. A FATHER’S PROUDEST MOMENT The Birth of My Son, Nick

Nick in the office with his helper, Elf

When my son, Nick, first came into this world, it was the proudest

moment of my entire life. That first time his gaze locked with mine might have been brief, but it was one of the

most powerful moments I’ve ever experienced. In the midst of the excitement and overwhelming emotion, though, there was more than a tinge of worry. He’d been born

prematurely by two months, and we were uncertain whether he’d make it through. Within minutes of looking into my son’s eyes for the first time, he was whisked away to the neonatal unit to battle for his life. I never take for granted that I now see my 27-year-old son nearly every day, because his life wasn’t always a sure thing. Early on, he spent all his time in the hospital, living there for more than two months until the doctors were sure it was safe to send him home with my ex-wife and me. There were a lot of ups and downs. First and foremost, there was his sleep apnea. He struggled to sleep through the night because his underdeveloped muscles would cause his breathing to suddenly stop.

–Jim Serra

As any parent can tell you, it was terrifying to imagine that he might simply go to sleep and never wake up, but luckily, we had a talented team of

845-256-6158 1

Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online