The Co-operative Funeralcare - Your Guide to a Funeral



• Any person in charge of the deceased • The person causing the disposal of the deceased Where should you register?

In England and Wales, you have to register the death at the Register Office within the district in which the death occurred, or in the district within which the deceased resided. However, you may be able to register the death in a different sub-district to that in which the death occurred and your funeral director will be able to advise you. What documents and information does the Registrar require? The register office will tell you what you need to do when you contact them. The register office may also want to see the person’s: • Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (if the death has not been referred to the Coroner) • Birth certificate • Council Tax bill • Driving licence • Marriage or civil partnership certificate • NHS medical card • Passport • Proof of address (eg utility bill) • Any book or document relating to any pension or allowance which the deceased received from public funds Ask the register office what to do if you do not have them. You’ll need to tell the Registrar:

• The person’s full name at the time of death • Any names previously used, eg maiden name • The person’s date of birth

Immediate concerns

Made with FlippingBook Ebook Creator