Houston & Alexander June/July 2018



CALL US: 423-267-6715



One of the difficult things about this line of work is that people usually come to me AFTER they have had an issue. Very rarely do they come to me for advice prior to making a decision.

Second, just after the wreck happens and you’ve checked yourself, passengers, as well as the occupants of the other vehicle for injuries, contact the police immediately. This is very important, not only because the accident itself needs to be documented, but because the police can ensure accident victims receive prompt emergency care. Third, get the other driver’s contact and insurance information. Even if the other driver doesn’t have any insurance, your insurance company may need a statement from them. Always get the name, phone number, address, and email address of the other driver. Try to get the name of their employer too. Fourth, contact your insurance company and tell them what happened. Do this EVEN IF the accident was not your fault. Your rates are not going up because someone else hit you. If the other driver’s policy is not sufficient to compensate for your injuries, you will need to know the amount of your uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverage just in case your own insurance has to contribute to a settlement. Fifth, if you are injured, seek medical treatment immediately. And if you are concerned about a settlement or an eventual lawsuit, consult traditional doctors first, meaning your general practitioner and medical specialists, such as orthopedic doctors. If your first inclination is to seek “non-traditional” treatment, it may affect the value of your case. Finally, contact your attorney. We can talk to you about the pluses and minuses of your case and possibly even represent you. It may be that you don’t need representation, but often the opposite is true. Insurance companies don’t make money by spending lots of money; they make money by NOT spending it. We can figure out the best way to deal with your particular situation and help you get the settlement you deserve. 1 423-267-6715 | TNDUIAttorney.com –Johnny Houston

Today, we are going to change that.

Clients frequently hire us to represent them for car and motorcycle accidents. I can honestly say that no potential client has ever come to me and said, “I think I’m going to be in a car wreck tomorrow. Do you have any advice?” But if I were ever given advance notice of my client being in a wreck, this is the conversation we would have. First, if you are going to be injured in a wreck, make sure that YOU carry enough insurance. I know that everyone else is supposed to carry insurance, but the reality is that many people don’t, or what they do carry is inadequate. The “minimum coverage” in Tennessee is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. If you are truly hurt, $25,000 will not even begin to cover your medical bills, time off work, and your pain and suffering. God forbid you actually need surgery. In a recent case of mine, the helicopter ride from the accident to the hospital was over $35,000! That alone is more than the Tennessee minimum.


Made with FlippingBook Learn more on our blog