Other State Services

Virginia Veterans Resource Guide

Troops to Trucks Through the Troops to Trucks SM program, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles is making it easier for personnel trained by the military in the operation of heavy vehicles to obtain civilian commercial driver’s licenses (CDL). A commercial driver’s license is required to operate large trucks and buses. To find out if you qualify for the Troops to Trucks SM program, complete the Troops to Trucks SM checklist. To learn more visit

DisabledVeteran and Surviving Spouse Real Estate Tax Exemptions Veterans rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as having a 100%, permanent and total, service-connected disability or who have a service-connected individual unemployable disability rating are exempt from paying real estate taxes on their primary residence. The exemption is based on the veteran’s disability rating rather than the level of compensation. The exemption includes property held jointly by a husband and wife, and applies to the residence and up to one acre of land. The surviving spouse of an eligible veteran who was receiving the tax exemption may continue to receive the real estate tax exemption. The spouse will lose the exemption if he or she remarries or does not occupy the property as his or her primary residence. Exemption Eligibility for the Surviving Spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces who was killed in action The surviving spouse of any member of the armed forces of the United States who was killed in action, as determined by the U.S. Department of Defense, and who occupies the real property as his principal place of residence, are exempt from paying real estate taxes. For purposes of this exemption, the determination of “killed in action” includes a determination by the U.S. Department of Defense of “died of wounds received in action.” To learn more about these exemptions contact the Commissioner of the Revenue for your locality. Contact information may be found at Veteran Hunting & Fishing Licenses The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) offers a number of discounted licenses for Disabled Military Personnel & Veterans. Applications are available at any VDGIF field office or online. For more information visit or call (804) 367-1000 Service-DisabledVeteran-OwnedSmall-Business(SDVOSB)Designation As part of the Virginia Small, Women-owned, and Minority Owned Business (SWaM) certification program , qualifying service-disabled veterans who are small business owners may obtain a Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) designation in the Virginia SWaM vendor database. This is not a separate SWaM certification, but rather a designation of those small businesses that are owned by Service Disabled Veterans. SDVOSB certification is provided by the Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity in partnership with the Virginia Department of Veterans Services. To learn more visit or call (804) 786-6585


Made with FlippingBook Publishing Software