Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body OPEN HOUSE Thank You For Attending Our
Aquatic Occupational & Physical Therapy had a successful open house! Thank you to everyone who participated and supported this event with our phenomenal team. Contact us today to bring in the new year with a new perspective on pain relief at 404-458-6139! We wish all our patients a Happy New Year!
• Hip, Knee & Leg Pain • Benefits Of Acupuncture Treatment
• Relieve Hip Pain In Minutes • Hip Pain & Aquatic Therapy
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
“Don’t Let Stiff Joints Slow You Down!” HIP, KNEE&LEGPAIN
Do you suffer from knee, hip or leg pain? You are not alone. CDC studies show that 30% of adults have reported some form of knee, hip or ankle joint stiffness or pain in a 30 day period. The hip and knee joints are incredible marvels of the human body. At times they have to withstand up to 6 times your body weight in force.The knee joint is the second most complicated joint in the body and has to move in many directions including forward, backward, side to side and rotation. These different movements are called accessory motions and are needed for normal walking, running and bending. When you experience pain in the side of the hip, groin, thigh or knee, you may have difficulty with these accessory motions. Prolonged sitting, injuries, arthritis and disease can affect accessory motions. With every day use, tissues around the hip and knee joints tighten, leading to a gradual loss of motion. This causes a lot of pressure to build up on specific parts of the joints. When Your Motion is Lost When you lose the movement of the hip, knee or ankle joints, your muscles have to take on the abnormal strain.This leads to common aches and pains experienced by millions of people. Many people feel that medication will help solve their hip, knee or leg pain. While medication can help to decrease inflammation and pain, it cannot address the root cause of the problem. Most pain in the hip, thigh, knee or leg comes from poor flexibility, strength or coordination. Treating Leg Pain To determine the source of your leg pain our physical therapists examine your walking, squatting, joint movement, comparing the strength and mobility of the joints. A comprehensive treatment plan, including special hands on techniques, is made to achieve the fastest relief and the longest lasting results. Exercising the joints is necessary to maintain flexibility and relieve pain. Aquatic therapy is an ideal treatment because its warm water provides the perfect environment in which to exercise due to its buoyancy counteracting gravity, thereby decreasing the weight placed on painful joints. If you are suffering with hip, knee or leg pain, call us today to learn more on how we can eliminate your pain with aquatic therapy!
DOES ARTHRITIS PAIN GRIND YOU DOWN?
Millions of Americans suffer through arthritis pain every day, taking Ibuprofen and stronger medication to numb the pain and address the ongoing inflammation. The definition of arthritis is joint inflammation, however the term has acquired a wider meaning. Arthritis is now used as a generic term for osteoarthritis and other conditions that affect joints. The pattern, severity and location of arthritis symptoms can vary depending on the specific form of the disease. Typically, arthritic conditions are characterized by pain and stiffness in and around one or more joints. The symptoms can develop gradually or suddenly. Certain rheumatic conditions can also involve the immune system and various internal organs of the body. Physical therapy is an important part of the ongoing treatment for arthritis. Physical therapy strengthens, stretches and stabilizes muscles surrounding affected joints providing needed support. Relieving Joint Pain Exercising is important to help reduce joint pain and stiffness. Light to moderate-intensity physical activity can actually prevent a decline in function, even restoring health. However, some people with arthritis may be reluctant to exercise because of joint pain after activity. You can take various steps to relieve pain, such as heat and cold therapy, or pain relievers, making it easier for you to exercise and stay active. In addition to physical therapy, choose non–impact exercises such as bicycling, swimming or water exercise. Furthermore, research shows that even modest
weight loss combined with exercise is more effective in decreasing pain and restoring function than either weight loss or exercise alone. If you are suffering with arthritis pain, call us today and discover how we can relieve your pain, returning you to a more active, pain-free lifestyle!
Call us today at 404-458-6139 to schedule an appointment!
Eating Right Never Tasted So Good!
Roquefort Pear Salad
Ingredients • 1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces • 3 pears • 5 ounces Roquefort cheese • 1 avocado • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions • 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup pecans • 1/3 cup olive oil
• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar • 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar • 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard • 1 clove garlic, chopped • 1/2 teaspoon salt • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Directions In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces. For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.
Hip Pain & Aquatic Therapy
ATTENTION PAIN SUFFERERS
Benefits Of AquaticTherapy For Hip Replacement Rehab There is a rising amount of proven clinical evidence that points to the benefits of aquatic rehabilitation for hip replacement. This includes:
• Reduced risk of falls: Exercising in an aquatic environment reduces the risks of slips and falls that can cause major setbacks during hip rehabilitation. Not only does this improve overall recovery outcomes, but it also allows the patient to push themselves furtherbydoingstretches andexercises theywouldbe reluctant todo on land for fear of injury.
Do you or someone you know have hip, knee or leg pain? As a current or past patient you have access to this valuable information, at your fingertips. Start feeling better today in the privacyof your home. Go to www.kneebook.net/ waterotpt for your free download.This is the easiest way to get this information to our patients. Download and share with friends and family today!
• Decreased joint inflammation during recovery: Water is an ideal environment for hip rehabilitation because its low resistance reduces pressure on the joint and hydrostatic pressure promotes circulation, which decreases inflammation and pain. • Less joint stress: Aquatic rehabilitation therapy takes advantage of the increased buoyancy of water to reduce stress on healing joints.This means less pressure and increased mobility. As recovery progresses, physical therapists can adjust the level of resistance by simply changing the depth of the water. • Increased strength and range of motion: The natural viscosity of water adds resistance which increases strength. • Fewer side effects: Aquatic exercises are shown to improve strength, flexibility, balance and cardiovascular function. This leads to a decreased risk of common side effects such as arthritis, inflammation and strains. • Postural corrections: Because aquatic rehabilitation can strengthen the back and spine, it also makes it easier to correct long-term posture, gait and joint positioning problems — this reduces the risk of further injury and promotes a faster recovery.
DOWNLOAD INSTANTLY AT: www.kneebook.net/waterotpt
Relieve Hip Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing hip pain.
HIP HIKES While standing up on a step, lower one leg downward towards the floor by tilting your pelvis to the side. Then return the pelvis/ leg back to a leveled position. Repeat 8 times.
We Provide The Following Services:
� Hydroworx 300 pool � Underwater Treadmill � Aquatic Massage � Aquatic Athletic Training � Aquatic Therapy
� Scar Tissue Treatment � Manual Therapy � Low Laser Therapy � Balance Training Program � Kinesio Taping
CALL TODAY! 404-458-6139Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker