and Graduation Requirements


requirements). The student must confer with the depart­ ments in which he will major and with the Registrar's Office. Minors Although Biola Universi ty does not require the student to have a minor for graduation, there are a number of instances in which a student may wish to take a minor, especiallyin plan­ ning for a career in teaching. By checking the various depart­ ments in the catalog, a student may determine if a minor is offered. Aminor usually requires a 'minimum' of 18 units, 12 of which should be upper division and six of these should be unique to the minor, i.e. , not counted toward any other requirements. The student should confer with the depart­ ments in which he will minor and with the Registrar 'sOffice. Writing Competency Requirement Before graduation from Biola, a student must pass the Writing Competency Requirement. This requirement will not be given separate ly from the standard curriculum. Instead, each department has designed its requirement to suit the particular demands of its major. Double majors will need to complete the Requirement in both majors. The Requirement should be met during the junior year. Students with junior status should enroll in al least one of the Writ ­ ing Competency courses offered within their major (most depart­ ments will identi fy their Writing Competency courses in the Schedule of Classes). Some departments require a student to submit a portfolio of written work collected from several upper-division courses. Students should consult their advisors about the department policy. Students might find it helpful to take their papers to the Writing Center in Sutherland Hall before submitting them to their departments. Students who do not complete the Requirement during their first attempt must enroll in a second Writing Compe­ tency course in their major. After a second failure, students must take English 210 (Writing for Competency). Agrade of C+ or higher in this course will satisfy the Writing Compe­ tency Requirement. Students canno t enroll in English 210 unless th ey have failed their department's requirement twice. Delaying the fulfillment of the Requirement may jeopardize the student's graduati on. Several departments offer more than one Writing Com­ petency course. If a student enrolls in more than one Writ­ ing Competency course, that student may choose the course in which he or she will attempt to fulfill the Writing Compe­ tency Requirement. GRADUATION PETITION Graduating seniors must fil e a "Senior Petition" form with the Registrar 's Office and submit any departmen tal checklists one year prior to graduation. Students filing late will be charged a late graduation petition fee. Alate petition is defined as any graduation petition received after classes begin in the student's graduating semester.

School of Arts and Sciences The Bachelor of Arts degree. Offered with majors in art, communication, English, history, humaniti es, liberal studies, music, philosophy, social science and sociology. The Bachelor of Music degree. Offered with emphasis in composition, music education, and performance. The Bachelor of Science degree. Offered with majors in art, biochemistry, biological science, business administration, computer science, mathematical science, nursing, physical education and physical science. School of lntercu/tural Studies The Bachelor ofArts degree in the intercultural studies. The Master of Arts degree in intercultural studies, world mi ssions, applied linguisti cs and TESOL. The Doctor ofMissiology and the Doctor ofEducation degree. Talbot School of Theology The Bachelor of Arts degree in biblical studies and Christ­ ian education. The Master ofArts degree in Christian education , ministry and a Master ofArts degree with emphasis in Bible exposition, New Testament, Old Testament, theology, philosophy of reli­ gion and ethics, specialized ministries , pastoral care and counseling, women 's ministries, youth ministries and biblical and theological studies-diversi fi ed. Talbot also offers the Master of Divinity degree, the Master of Theology degree, the Doctor ofMinistry degree and the Doctor ofEducation degree. Rosemead School of Psychology The Bachelor ofArts degree in psychology. The Master ofArts, the Doctor ofPsychology and the Doctor of Philosophy degree in clinical psychology. School of Continuing Studies The Bachelor ofScience degree in organizational leadership. UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS Double Degree Students seeking a second baccalaureate degree must complete a minimum of 30 distinct units in a second area of major studies. Aminimum of 160 total units are required for graduation with a double degree. All prerequisites, support­ ing courses and departmental requirements for each major must be completed. The student must confer with the depart­ ments in which he will major and with the Registrar's Office. Double Major Astudent may be graduated with two majors. The follow­ ing information is for those pursuing two majors: All prerequisites, supporting courses and departmental requirements for each major must be completed. The second major must have 'minimum' of 18 upper divi­ sion units unique to that major (i.e., minimum of 48 major units and 148 total units required - see individual major

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker