••••••••••• General Information
Talbot Theological Seminary became Talbot School of The ology in the fa ll of 1983 as a result of the merger between the appropriate undergraduate and graduate level programs. The Board approved the establishment of the School of Business in 1993, and the School ofContinuing Studies in 1994. Because of the University's heritage and commitment, its academic basis is broader than that of the standard college of arts and sciences. Terminal and preparatory programs lead to service in church-related vocations and the many other vocations and professions embraced by the present curricula. In addition, the University is a Christian institution of higher education without any denominational affiliation. From an institute lo a university, Biola's cornerstone has remained the same: commitment to Jesus Christ, the inerrancy of Scripture and biblical Christianity (with in an evangelical Protestant framework) , as well as to tl1e spiritual, academic and holistic growth of those who are personally committed to Him. THE ROLE AND MISSIOH OF BIOLA UNIVERSITY The mission of Biola University is lo provide a university education based on a Christian world view. This education is designed for Christian students to equip them for service in our world as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. Our quest is to graduate servants - some as scholars, some as leaders, and all as capable, competent professionals in their respective fields. Biola emphasizes inspirational teaching in our undergradu ate and graduate programs by faculty who exhibit joy in learn ing in their respective disciplines and excellence in communica tion. We seek lo produce graduates who have captured their excitement and dedication , and leave Biola equipped to advance Christian scholarship and practice in their respective fie lds. Biola aspires to set all of its educational programs within the context of a Christian world view. To accomplish this, all Biola students, undergraduate and graduate, take at least twenty percenl of their coursework in biblical studies and theological integration of biblical studies with their academic disciplines. Discerning Christian scholarship of the highest quality by our facu lty and students is fundamental to our mission. Our undergraduate and graduate faculty grapple with the major intellectual, ethical , and moral issues of our time from the perspective of a Christian world view. Biola University has the opportunity, indeed the obligation, to nourish a Christ ian environment which prizes research, dialogue, and critical thought whi le retaining a central commitment to the faith . The university upholds a commitment to Christian diver sity and community through which members may model and practice a way of life for this era that emulates Christ. Biola is a global institution with committed Christian students coming from diverse age, denominational, ethnic, and inter national backgrounds, reflecti ng the rich variation found in the church around the world. Respect for persons, love for one another in the community, spiritual discipline , moral discernment, and commitment lo service are the values which we derive from our quest to graduate competent men and women who are "followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. " Servant leadership is our contribution lo the church and wider society in such diverse fields as the arts, communica tion, business, nursing, psychology, and education. Our fac-
Carrying on a tradition of educational excellence that dates back over 80 years, Biola University now encompasses: the School of Arts and Sciences, Talbot School of Theology, Rosemead School of Psychology, the School of Intercultural Studies, the School ofBusiness, and the School of Continuing Studies. Offering three baccalaureate degrees in 24 majors, IO masters and five doctoral degrees, Biola's commitment to academic excellence is firmly rooted in its adherence to an in depth, knowledgeable and living Christianity. Each year, over 3,000 students find Biola's unique blend of faith and learning conducive to their academic and vocational goals. HISTORICAL SKETCH The cornerstone of the original Bible Institute building in Los Angeles was laid on May 31 , 1913, and dedicated with these words: "For the teaching of the truths for which the Institute stands, its doors are to be open every day of the year, and all people, without reference to race , color or class will ever be welcome to its privileges. " Spoken by Lyman Stewart, president of the Insti lute and co-founder of the Union Oil Company, these words capture the vision ofBiola's founders. Stewart, together with T.C. Hor ton , initiated the Bible Institute, with the first permanent orga nization taking shape in 1908. By 1912, the school had grown sufficiently in its outreach and constituency lo call R.A. Torrey, a leader in the field of Christian education, as the first dean. The next eight decades have witnessed tremendous growth in the development and outreach of the school. Under the lead ership of Dr. Louis T. Talbot, president from 1932 to 1952, the Bible Institute program became a four-year course, leading to degrees in theology, Christian education, and sacred music. The School of Missionary Medicine came into being in 1945, laying the foundation for Biola's current baccalaureate nursing pro gram. In I949, the Bible Institute was renamed Biola College. Dr. Samuel H. Sutherland became president in 1952, and •with his leadership the college obtained regional and professional accreditation. Additionally, many new programs of study were introduced, including Talbot Theological Seminary. The demands imposed by the growing student body and the enlarged curriculum prompted the purchase ofa 7!'>-acre site in La Mirada. Biola moved to the new site in 1959. Dr. Sutherland retired as president in I970, but continued to lend leadership as a member of Biola's Board of Trustees. That same year, Dr. J. Richard Chase became Biola's sixth president In 1977, the graduate programs of Rosemead Graduate School of Professional Psychology were acquired by Biola and relocated on the La Mirada campus. The undergradu ate programs in psychology were merged with Rosemead 's graduate programs in the fall of I981, forming the present Rosemead School of Psychology. Under the leadership ofDr. J. Richard Chase, Biola Col lege became Biola University on July l, 1981. The University was composed of the School of Arts and Sciences, Talbot Theological Seminary, and Rosemead School of Psychology. Dr. Clyde Cook became the seventh president ofBiola on June I, 1982. Under his leadership, the School of Intercul tural Studies was instituted as part of the University in I983.
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker