12. Tapioca's source 13. Tin Man's need 14. Distorted 24. Prohibitions 26. Endures 28. Zip 29. Musical sign 31. Oahu garland 32. Add-on 33. Emulates Ice Cube 34. Surface 35. Sports enclosure 36. Command to oxen 38. Gold braid 39. Banal 40. Heraldic bearing 42. Brownish purple 43. Releases 45. Willows 49. Smeared 50. Wrong direction, to Greeley 51. Henna and indigo
53. Fido's scrap 54. Praise 56. Perfect shot 57. Adage 58. Primped 60. Fedora feature 61. Jar rim 63. Celestial ____ (planets, e.g.) 64. Wordsmith 66. Rita Hayworth, once 67. Of an earlier time 68. Wild Asian dog 70. Set the tempo 71. It may close clothes 73. Gang 74. Rafter's peril 75. Children's card game 76. Tribute in verse 79. Religious fear
WEEK OF JUNE 24 TO 30, 2012
Seafood curry chowder
ARIES You may have to make an important decision that concerns all the family. Take the time to weigh all the pros and cons with accurate information before making a choice. TAURUS Wait to receive all the results before wor- rying about your health. You may tend to dramatize a fairly minor problem before even seeing your doctor. GEMINI You’ll have quite a challenge on your hands when you have to prove that you’re the right person for a very precise job or post at work or elsewhere. CANCER If there is a move on the horizon, you must be sure to try and save your strength. Fortunately you’ll show lots of determination when the time comes to reposition your things. LEO You could end up stuck in several traffic jams. Before starting out be sure to check the traffic reports if there is road work on your route. Remember that being stuck in traffic is a good time to think through your plans. VIRGO The purchase of a house is, above all, a very good investment. Create a smart budget for your situation and you will not have to tighten your belt too much. LIBRA You want to be in the action, and your sense of initiative is at its peak at the moment. You will take your rightful place either at work or in your personal life. SCORPIO You may feel a certain amount of accu- mulated tiredness as the week progresses. It will be important for you to take the time to rest and relax to rid yourself of the stress. SAGITTARIUS Don’t be surprised if some of your friends invite you to register for differ- ent activities with them this summer. Go along with it, as it will all keep you busy during your holidays. CAPRICORN All your attention is taken up by profes- sional and family matters this week. You will have to manage a rather complicated schedule. Several unexpected events will have to be taken into consideration. AQUARIUS If you’re planning a road trip during your vacation, be sure to plan your itinerary well. Have a good map or a GPS on hand so that you don’t go round in circles all the time. PISCES You will definitely feel the desire to experi- ence profound changes in either your pro- fessional, emotional, or personal life. This is a good time to ponder these changes but not such a good time to take action. THE LUCKIEST SIGNS THIS WEEK: CAPRICORN, AQUARIUS, AND PISCES.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 4
Copyright © 2012 by Penny Press
ACROSS 1. Dressing gown 5. Black or Coral 8. Do in 12. Guernsey, e.g. 15. Axillary 16. Effort 17. Funnel-shaped 18. Ditty 19. Palm drink 20. Shad output 21. Mine entrance 22. Sinister 23. Palindromic little one 24. Commands 25. Careless 27. Lacking reason 29. Spanish house 30. "The ____ of a Tub" 33. Knocking down 35. Mass vestment 36. Small hammer 37. Seed coats
78. "But ____ for Me" (Gable film) 79. Sterile 80. Fruit quaff 81. Fix 82. Stout brew 83. Go along 84. Rosy color 85. Heroic poetry 86. ____ annum 87. Nervous DOWN 1. Harangue 2. Medley 3. Christening 4. Timespan 5. Type of quartet 6. Molder 7. Naval affirmatives 8. Ancient Egyptian symbol 9. Metallic veins 10. Soul 11. Bigfoot's kin
38. Rocky mineral 39. Foot-digit part 41. Scribe's need 42. Like some stock 44. Edible starch 46. Samovar 47. Wire thickness 48. Hied 52. Jet-setter 55. Short poem 56. Has high hopes 59. Corroded 60. Bored with life 62. Insertion sign 63. Student vehicle 64. Bracelet locales 65. Pitcher 66. Prick 68. Dribbled 69. Caught sight of 71. Thin wedge 72. Before, to Browning 75. Were the victors 77. Opposed
ANSWER TO PUZZLE NO. 617
This main-course chowder combines two delicate lean fish with shrimp.
INGREDIENTS: • 1 fillet of flounder of about 310 g (11 oz) • 1 fillet of halibut, scrod, or cod of about 225 g (8 oz)
• 225 g (1/2 lb) medium-size shrimp (10 to 12), shelled and deveined • 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice • 60 ml (4 tbsp) unsalted butter • 60 ml (1/4 cup) flour • 5 ml (1 tsp) curry • 500 ml (2 cups) fish stock or clam juice • 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock • 10 ml (2 tsp) salt • 5 ml (1 tsp) freshly ground pepper • 125 ml (1/2 cup) frozen tiny peas, thawed • 125 ml (1/2 cup) heavy cream • 30 ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped dill DIRECTIONS: Wipe fish fillets with damp paper towels. With chef’s knife, cut halibut into 1.3 cm (1/2 inch) pieces. Cut flounder into 2 cm (3/4 inch) pieces. Cut shrimps in half lengthwise. Transfer fish and shrimps to medium-size bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice, and toss to combine. Set aside. In large heavy- gauge saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and curry powder to taste, and whisk until thoroughly blend- ed. Cook, stirring with whisk, 3 minutes. Whisking constantly, slowly add fish stock and chicken stock. Add salt and pep- per and, stirring occasionally, bring to a boil, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Add fish pieces, shrimps, peas, and cream, and stir to combine. Simmer 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and whisk in dill. Ladle chowder into individual soup bowls. Recipe and photo : Great meals in minutes – Fish and shellfish menus, Time-Life Books.
PUZZLE NO. 353
ANSWER TO PUZZLE NO.353
HOW TO PLAY: Fill in the grid so that every row, every column, and every 3x3 box contains the numbers 1 through 9 only once. Each 3x3 box is outlined with a darker line. You already have a few numbers to get you started. Remember: You must not repeat the numbers 1 through 9 in the same line, column, or 3x3 box .
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker