To graduate with a baccalaureate degree, a student must have at least twice as many grade points as units in total credit value of all courses undertaken at Biola (2.00 GPA) and a 2.00 GPA in the major field. Higher stan­ dards are required for graduate degrees, as stated else­ where in this catalog. A student will be permitted to repeat a course in which either a D or an F grade was earned. Courses in which grades earned were either C or B, may be repeated only with approval from the Registrar's office. The grades processor in the Registrar's Office must be notified when a course is repeated. When a course is repeat­ ed where a student has received a D or F grade the first time, the better grade is the only one used in computing the cumulative GPA, and the units are counted only once. Both grades are shown on the student's permanent record. When a course is repeated where a student has received a C or Bgrade the first time, both the first and the second grades figure into the total cumulative GPA computation and both grades are shown on the student's permanent record. Grade reports will be issued to students from the Registrar's office. GRADE CHANGES It is the student's responsibility to bring any error in grades to the attention of the instructor within one semester following the issued grade. Grade changes are only allowable for computational or recording errors and must be corrected no later than the last day of classes of the next full term semester. AUDITORS Students wishing to audit must pursue normal appli­ cation and registration procedures. Undergraduate students cannot register for a course until the second week of the semester. (See financial information for fees.) Talbot students must be college graduates and must pay the appropriate per unit fee. Auditors must receive permission from both the Registrar's Office and the instructor of the course. A course taken for audit cannot be repeated for credit at a later date. ACADEMIC LOAD The minimum full-time load is 12 units at the under­ graduate level. A student who is on academic probation may be limited to 12 units or less depending upon his grade point average. A minimum of ten units must be taken by those living on campus. The minimum full-time load is nine units for those in graduate degree programs. Those carrying less than the full-time load are considered part-time students. A Talbot student is normally permitted to carry a maxi­ mum of 18 units each semester. The normal full-time load for a Rosemead student is 12 to 15 hours per semester, but not less than nine hours. Without the advisor's approval, a student may not carry over 16 units in any semester. Part-time registra-

ATTENDANCE Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Classes are conducted in a manner that will encourage academic excellence and the growth of Christian charac­ ter. Because of the tremendous variety of class size and purpose, specific requirements in attendance, the final authority for attendance and any effect that it might have upon grades rests with the individual faculty member. GRADES Quality of course work is graded on the following scale, with a system of grade points used to determine a student's general grade point average or standing: Graduate students should see the appropriate section of the catalog for further grade information.

Registrar's Office

(213) 903-4720

Grade Quality

Grade Poinls:


Highest Passing Grade

4.00 3.fil 3.33 3.00 2.67 2.~ 2.00 1.fil 1~ 1.00 0.67





B- G




D D-

Lowest Passing Grade

(for undergraduate courses)

F 0.00 The following grades are also used with special signifi­ cance in certain programs: S Satisfactory 0.00 R Research 0.00 IP Internship in Progress 0.00 Audit 0.00 Failure A credit "CR" indicates the completion of course work with academic performance equal to or higher than the "satisfactory" standard for the degree program (normally "C" 2.00 for undergraduate programs and "B" 3.00 for graduate programs.) A "W" indicates an official withdrawal from a course and does not affect the student's grade point average. A "UW" indicates an unofficial withdrawal. Students who register for courses but do not attend classes are given the grade of "UW" which will influence the grade point average the same as an "F." A temporary mark of "RD" (report delayed) will be issued in special cases when approved by the dean of school of arts and sciences (undergraduate students) and the deans of the respective schools (graduate students). The grade point average of a student is obtained by dividing the total number of units attempted at Biola University into the total number of grade points obtained at Biola. (This calculation does not include courses transferred from another institution and starts anew for graduate programs.)

■ ■■ ■■■

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker