the La Mirada campus. The undergraduate programs in psychology were merged with Rosemead's graduate programs in the fall of 1981, forming the present Rosemead School of Psychology. Under the leadership of Dr. J. Richard Chase, Biola College became Biola University on July 1, 1981. The University was composed of the School of Arts and Sciences, Talbot Theological Seminary and Rosemead School of Psychology. Dr. Clyde Cook became the seventh president of Biola on June 1, 1982. Under his leadership, the School of lntercultural Studies was in stituted as part of the University in 1983. Talbot Theological Seminary became Talbot School ofTheology in the fall of 1983 as a result of the merger between the appropriate undergraduate and graduate level programs. The Board approved the establishment of the School of Business in 1993, and the School of Continuing Studies in 1994, now called the School of Professional Studies. Because of the University's heritage and commitment, its academic basis is broader than that of the standard college of arts and sci ences. Terminal and preparatory programs lead to service in church related vocations and the many other vocations and professions embraced by the present curricula. In addition, the University is a Christian institution of higher education without any denominational affiliation. From an institute to a university, Biola's cornerstone has remained the same: comm itment to Jesus Christ, the inerrancy of Scripture and biblical Christianity (within an evangelical Protestant framework), as well as to the spiritual, academic and holistic growth of those who are personally committed to Him. The Mission & Role of Biola University The mission of Biola University is biblically-centered education, scholarship, and service - equipping men and women in mind and character to impact the world for the Lord Jesus Christ.
General Information Carrying on a tradition of educational excellence that dates back over 90 years, Biola University now encompasses: the School of Arts and Sciences, Talbot School ofTheology, Rosemead School of Psy chology, the School of lntercultural Studies, the School of Business, and the School of Professional Studies. Offering four baccalaureate degrees in 28 majors, 17 masters and seven doctoral degrees, Biola's commitment to academic excellence is firmly rooted in its adherence to an in-depth, knowledgeable and living Christianity. Each year, over 5,000 students find Biola's unique blend of faith and learning condu cive to their academic and vocational goals. Historical Sketch The cornerstone of the original Bible Institute building in Los Angeles was laid on May 31, 1913, and dedicated with these words: "For the teaching of the truths for which the Institute stands, its doors are to be open every day of the year, and all people, without refer ence to race, color or class will ever be welcome to its privileges" Spoken by Lyman Stewart, president of the Institute and co-founder of the Union Oil Company, these words capture the vision of Biola's founders. Stewart, togethe r with T.C. Horton, initiated the Bib le Insti tute, with the first permanent organization taking shape in 1908. By 1912, the school had grown sufficiently in its outreach and constitu ency to call R.A. Torrey, a leader in the field of Christian education, as the first dean. The next nine decades have witnessed tremendous growth in the development and outreach of the school. Under the leadership of Dr. Louis T. Talbot, president from 1932 to 1952, the Bible Institute program became a four-year course, leading to degrees in theology, Christian education, and sacred music. The School of Missiona ry Medicine came into being in 1945, laying the foundation for Biola's current baccalaureate nursing program. In 1949, the Bible Institute was renamed Biola College. Dr. Samuel H. Sutherland became president in 1952, and with his leadership the college obtained regional and professional accredita tion. Additionally, many new programs of study were introduced, including Talbot Theological Seminary. The demands imposed by the growing student body and the enlarged curriculum prompted the purchase of a 75-acre site in La Mirada.
The role of the Biola community is one of service:
Students. Our objective is to enable every student to learn Christ-like character and intellectual, technical and relational skills to serve as leaders, role models, and competent professionals. Education. Ou r business is to inspire student's learning so that they are empowered to think and practice from a Christian worldview in their fields of service Research. Our faculty, students, and graduates seek to grapple with the intellectual, ethical, and cultu ral issues of our time by partnering in discerning Christ-centered scholarship through learning, rigorous research, publications and performance.
Biola moved to the new site in 1959.
Dr. Sutherland retired as president in 1970, but continued to lend leadership as a member of Biola's Board ofTrustees. That same year, Dr. J. Richard Chase became Biola's sixth president.
In 1977, the graduate programs of Rosemead Graduate School of Professional Psychology were acquired by Biola and relocated on
General Informa tion
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker