Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees must be paid before the first day of class each semester . If tuition and fees are not paid before the first day of class, all courses for which the student has pre-registered will be dropped. Student will have to re-register for all courses. Students who have graduated from a high school located in the state of Alabama or who earned a GED in the state of Alabama within two years of the date of their application for admission will be considered an Alabama resident provided they have an Alabama address as their residence.

Eligibility for “In - State” Tuition

For purposes of assessing tuition, applicants for admission shall be classified in one of three categories as outlined below:

I. A “resident student” is an applicant for admission who:

A. Is a citizen of the United States and a duly registered resident of the State of Alabama for at least twelve (12) months immediately preceding application for admission, or whose non- estranged spouse had resided and had habitation, home and permanent abode in the State of Alabama for at least twelve (12) months immediately preceding application for admission. Consequently, an out-of-state student cannot obtain residence status simply by attending school for twelve months in the State of Alabama. B. In the case of minor dependents seeking admission, the parents, parent, or legal guardian of such minor dependent must have resided in the State of Alabama for at least twelve (12) months immediately preceding application for admission. If the parents are divorced, residence will be determined by the residency to whom the court had granted custody. MINOR: an individual who because of age lacks the capacity to contract under Alabama law. Under current law, this means a single individual under 19 years of age and a married individual under 18 years of age, but excludes an individual whose disabilities of non-age have been removed by a court of competent jurisdiction for a reason other than establishing a legal residence in Alabama. If current law changes, this definition shall change accordingly. SUPPORTING PERSON: Either or both of the parents of the student, if the parents are living together, or if the parents are divorced or living separately, then either the parent having legal custody or, if different, the parent providing the greater amount of financial support. If both parents are deceased or if neither has legal custody, supporting person shall mean, in the following order: the legal custodian of the student, the guardian, or the conservator.

C. In determining resident student status for the purpose of charging tuition, the burden of proof lies with the applicant for admission.

1. Students shall be considered “resident students” for tuition pur poses if they live out of


2022-23 College Catalog and Student Handbook

Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online