General Education/University Transfer Programs for the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science

The following pages outline certain program guides for a student planning to transfer to a four-year college or university. A student planning to transfer should obtain a catalog from the appropriate college in order to determine the entrance and degree requirements of the institution in which the four-year degree will be completed. While a student may follow a program outlined in this catalog, the student should select courses that will best meet each individual need. An Associate in Arts Degree is recommended for those persons who have not yet selected a major program of study and who desire to transfer to a senior institution. An Associate in Arts Degree (A.A.) or an Associate in Science Degree (A.S.) is awarded after successfully completing all degree requirements. An Associate in Applied Science Degree (A.A.S.), Certificates, or Short-Term Certificates can be earned for completing certain requirements in career technical programs. In addition to the course requirements outlined in this section of the catalog, the College requires each degree-seeking student to demonstrate more than minimal competency in communication, computer literacy, critical thinking and mathematical problem solving. Students planning to transfer to a public university in Alabama should print a STARS guide which can be accessed at and click on “here” under the STARS section.

STARS (Alabama Articulation Program)

The Alabama Articulation and General Studies Committee (AGSC) was created in March 1994 by the State Legislature through ACT 94-202. The AGSC was created to simplify the transfer of course credit between public institutions of higher education. To accomplish this task, the AGSC has developed and implemented a statewide general studies and articulation program that facilitates the transferability of coursework among all Alabama public colleges and universities. The AGSC transfer guide ( STARS Guide ) for each public transfer institution in the State of Alabama should be used and is readily available on the internet by going to and clicking on “Current Students,” “Transfer Assistance,” and “What is STARS.” From STARS , students can print a transfer guide for their major and enter into a binding contract with the transfer institution in their program of study. The contract is not binding on the student but is binding on the transfer institution, provided that the student does not change majors and takes the courses listed on the transfer guide.

Lurleen B. Wallace Community College Alabama General Studies Committee (AGSC) Approved Common Core Courses


2022-23 College Catalog and Student Handbook

Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online