Head of Catering and Hospitality Candidate Information Pack
Queen Mary University of London is one of the UK’s leading research-focused higher education institutions. With over 20,000 students, 4,000 staff and an annual turnover of £400m, we are one of the largest University of London colleges.
• • Welcome to Queen Mary University of London
• • Estates and Facilities
• • Estates and Facilities Structure
• • Hospitality Service
• • Job Description
• • Person Specification
• • Further Information and How to Apply
Welcome to Queen Mary University of London
Queen Mary University of London teach and research across a wide range of subjects in the humanities, social sciences, law, medicine and dentistry, and science and engineering.
Based in a creative and culturally diverse area of east London, the main site in Mile End is one of the largest self-contained residential campuses in the capital.
Our research excellence
Queen Mary has made a strategic commitment to the highest quality of research. The University has invested in this principle by systematically recruiting the best academics in their disciplines from around the world.
The results of the most recent national assessment of research – the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) – have confirmed its place in the very top group of research-led universities in the UK.
Overall it was ranked 9th in the UK among multi-faculty universities and 5th in the UK for the percentage of our 3* and 4* research outputs.
Russell Group institution
Queen Mary is one of 24 leading UK universities represented by the Russell Group, that are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience, excellent graduate employability and unrivalled links with business and the public sector.
High-quality learning experience
Queen Mary offers outstanding students a stimulating, supportive and high-quality learning experience, with teaching inspired by our world-leading research.
Queen Mary ranks top in London among Russell Group universities for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2016), with a number of our subject areas receiving over 90 per cent for ‘overall satisfaction’ including Medicine, Dentistry, Law and English. QMUL have invested in new facilities over the past five years to offer its students an exceptional learning environment. Recent developments include the £39m Graduate Centre, providing 7,700 square metres of learning and teaching space, and the new Dental Hospital, home to the Institute of Dentistry, the UK’s first new dental school in forty years. Future developments include the planned Life Sciences Building, which will play a key role in the regeneration of the wider Whitechapel area following the arrival of Crossrail.
Estates and Facilities
“Our mission is to ensure that the campus buildings, environment, and facilities achieve the highest standard of design, sustainability, and presentation. This is to reflect the ambition of Queen Mary, enhance the student experience and promote QMUL as a world class academic institution.”
Our Main Focus:
• Preparing and helping to sustain the QMUL’s working and learning environments for students, staff and guests by ensuring facilities meet the aspirations of the University
• Providing a home for 2,300 QMUL students in halls of residence, encouraging a spirit of community and cooperation
• Providing catering & hospitality to support the Queen Mary community in its work and social interaction, and an events hospitality service
• Outside the teaching timetable and during the summer vacation, attracting external use of the QMUL’s facilities by organisations and individuals
• Providing and developing professional services that enhance student well-being, enabling students to engage effectively with their academic progress and achievement, and prepare for their lives beyond Queen Mary University of London
Estates and Facilities Structure
Estates and Facilities (EAF) Senior Leadership Team
Head of Directorate Support Panny Martin
Executive Assistant Kelly Peaston
Director of Estates, Facilities and Capital Development Mike Sheppard
Assistant Director Estates and Facilities (Infrastructure & Maintenance) Mark Vinter
Assistant Director Estates and Facilities (Property and Space Management) Nick Davie
Assistant Director Estates and Facilities (Facilities Management) Lynda Bradish
Assistant Director Estates and Facilities (Strategic Development) Vacancy
Assistant Director Estates and Facilities (Residential Services) Steven Exley
Assistant Director Estates and Facilities (Capital Development) Graham Schofield
Major Projects Project delivery
Post Occupancy Evaluation
Minor works Long Term Maintenance
Queen Mary’s Catering & Hospitality team is your in house team for event and function catering.
Any event we cater for assumes a special distinction – a grand banquet or less formal lunch, business meeting, private party or dinner. Whether for 5 or 500 people, Catering & Hospitality QM combines detail and imagination to ensure that every function is well remarked and happily remembered. Our experienced team are on hand to assist with planning every aspect of an event from flowers to menus and entertainment. We understand that with each event, everyone has different requirements when it comes to eating, drinking and service. Our priority is to offer total exibility and creativity in our food service. So, whether you want healthy options, ethnic specialities, vegetarian dishes, kosher food or simply an old traditional favourite, our expert chefs can accommodate your needs, with our service team there to assist in ensuring your event is delivered to your bespoke requirements. At Catering & Hospitality QM we are renowned for pleasing every palate with our indulgent and delectable bespoke menus, which cater for the most intimate of gatherings through to large-scale events.
Our team are passionate about food and we pride ourselves on delivering outstanding service with exceptional attention to detail.
Our aim is to exceed your expectations – with our executive chef team making every experience a memorable one. Creating bespoke packages to accommodate all budgets is where we excel! We look forward to serving your next event!
Introducing the QMUL Guarantee
What it means Restaurants & Hospitality QMUL is committed to providing its customers with the best quality food and service. We have introduced the QMUL Guarantee so you can see this commitment at a glance. Wherever you see this stamp you can be sure of unrivalled value for money and can be confident that the food you eat and the produce we use meets the highest standards. But why? We want to ensure we provide our students, staff and guests a catering service that is worthy of a world-class university. We also want people to know that we are proud to be part of QMUL. How can we do this? We have looked carefully at every aspect of catering at QMUL to better understand what we offer our customers and what they demand of us. We talked to our staff and our students as well as consulting with our own catering team who serve you every day.
The result of this was the formation of: our brand essence our brand proposition our values
Together these form the foundation of who we are and inform every aspect of our work, from the service we offer to the food we prepare. This acts as a promise to our customers and ensures you know exactly what you can expect from us. We are proud to serve QMUL and we want you to be proud of the service we offer.
Our brand essence Serving QMUL - Feeding Success
Our proposition Committed to ensuring the well-being and success of our students, staff and guests, we provide restaurant and hospitality services for Queen Mary University of London, delivering unrivalled value and the high standards expected of a university with a global reputation for success.
Our values Care Understanding Pride Community Determination to deliver
You can find out more at www.catering.qmul.ac.uk
Duties and Responsibilities
Head of Catering and Hospitality Estates & Facilities Directorate
Department: Reports to:
Assistant Director of Estates & Facilities (Facilities Management)
7 (Full Time)
Mile End Campus
The Head of Catering and Hospitality is a senior post within the Estates and Facilities Directorate and will report to the Assistant Director of Estates & Facilities. The post holder is responsible overall for the management of the University Catering outlets and Hospitality QM, leading and developing a large internal team in the delivery of excellent customer service to students, staff and guests at Queen Mary University London (QMUL).
Catering and Hospitality QM currently provide services via a business portfolio made up of catering outlets based at Mile End & Whitechapel, catering directly for students, staff and summer guests with a very successful and busy hospitality business that delivers catering & hospitality for key university events throughout the year such as: Conferencing, Guest Dinners, Graduation, Summer Schools and weddings across all QMUL campuses.
• The Curve (Fieldon House, Westfield Way, Student Village) • Mucci’s Trattoria (Library Square, Mile End) • The Senior Common Room (1st Floor Queens’ Building) • The Foyer (Based within the Peoples Palace, Mile end) • The Nucleus (Based within the Blizzard Building) • Hospitality & Conferencing (Across all university campuses) • Café Grad
Responsible for the strategic development and growth of the Catering and Hospitality QM offer with full accountability and management of a budget of circa £2.4m.
Promote and grow the Catering & Hospitality QM through stakeholder engagement, internal marketing and innovation in food production, menu planning and external benchmarking of food trends and customer tastes. Lead on the development and implementation of policies, procedures and operating standards that are aligned with industry best practice, compliant with Food Safety regulations and the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974).
Main Duties & Responsibilities
• Drive strategic operational development of the Catering & Hospitality services.
• Lead on the development of the Catering & Hospitality strategic plan.
• Lead on the planning and implementation of the agreed business plan and setting of aims & objectives.
• Responsible for managing and monitoring the quality of the food offer, service operations and to sustain a high standard of service for all catering and hospitality services.
• Responsible for the financial management of the Catering & Hospitality budget and delivery of agreed financial targets.
• Ensure that financial controls & systems in use are robust and adhere to university financial operating policies and procedures.
• Through a process of continuous improvement, review operational processes, quality, productivity and innovation of the services provided.
• Lead & develop the knowledge, skills and performance of the Catering & Hospitality team by completing training needs assessments and the completion of annual appraisals.
• Responsible for ensuring that all Catering operations are compliant in health and safety, food hygiene, fire safety and security of catering premises.
• Liaise with maintenance services to ensure reactive and planned maintenance of catering equipment and premises is completed satisfactorily and to ensure that where risk has been identified that it is managed and recorded on the operational risk register.
• Represent Catering and Hospitality services on University committees and contribute towards Directorate and University level strategic planning.
• Lead the development of the Catering & Hospitality QM brand through the creation of seasonal menus, planning new promotions and initiatives.
• Monitoring the quality of product, services and customer satisfaction through engaging with stakeholders and customer feedback via surveys.
• A flexible approach to working hours will be required as key events are often booked during the evening and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
This table lists the essential and desirable requirements needed in order to perform the job effectively. Candidates will be shortlisted based on the extent to which they meet these requirements. Requirements Qualifications Professional Catering Qualification – Degree/HND/BTec/City & Guilds in Hotel & Restaurant Management or Food Service/Production Management, and/or equivalent experience in catering or event management or hospitality services Significant senior operational experience in a multi-site environment managing catering & hospitality services Extensive organisational skills dealing with large scale and a high volume of events and hospitality services E Experience and ability to lead and motivate a large team E Ability to provide strong marketing campaigns around product development and drive sales targets in accordance with budgetary expectations E Demonstrate strong verbal and written communications skills E Experience of planning and executing multiple events over various sites simultaneously E Developing business strategies in line with current and emerging needs of the business and industry benchmarks E Fostering long term profitable relationships, driving current business and developing future opportunities E Providing direction and expertise to ensure best business practice and uphold the University values E Driving innovation and continuous improvement of people, systems and processes E Extensive international food and beverage knowledge E The ability to lead and motivate staff E Experience in improving service delivery and the customer experience E Extensive administrative and IT ability E Financial management experience in budget compilation, finance IT systems (Agresso), cash management, P2P Purchasing Systems, P&L reporting and analysis and Banking E E Alcohol licence holder E E Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Essential / Desirable
Experience managing online hospitality reservation systems
Experience and knowledge of implementing environmental and sustainable practices in the food service sector Extensive experience managing Health & Safety and Food Hygiene administration Experience supporting website marketing and social media campaigns in line with scheduled events and services Experience in project management, concept design and construction of new and existing catering and event sites Sales experience dealing with potential and existing clients, developing sales opportunities and driving business
Essential/Desirable: E = Essential: Requirements without which the job could not be done. D = Desirable: Requirements that would enable the candidate to perform the job well.
Further Information and How to Apply A wide range of benefits are available, this includes 30 days annual leave (plus University closure days and public holidays), a defined benefit pension scheme and also an interest-free season ticket loan. For further details of the benefits of working at QMUL please visit http://www.hr.qmul.ac.uk/workqm/index.html Applications should consist of a CV and covering statement outlining key matching experience and rationale for applying for the post. Applications should be sent to; firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a confidential and informal discussion, please contact the Universities appointed recruitment partner Hayley Mintern at The Management Recruitment Group.
Hayley Mintern 020 8892 0115 | 07530 680 184 email@example.com
70 London Road, Twickenham, TW1 3QS.
www.mrgpeople.co.ukPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker