Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
Our Wellness Tips For New Year’s Resolutions
Inside: • 6 Back Conditions Not To Ignore
• Healthy Recipe
• Relieve Back Pain In Minutes
• Patient Success Spotlight
1. Drink half your body weight in water. When the body is dehydrated, it doesn’t run efficiently. Drinking water has plenty of benefits including increasing energy, flushing out toxins, improving skin complexion and boosting immunity, to name a few. 2. Start the morning with a hydrating warm drink. I choose warmwater and lemon because I like the taste. I’ve also seen apple cider vinegar concoctions that rehydrate and influence the body’s alkaline state, which has been noted for added health benefits. Drink these before coffee and breakfast for instant energy, likely from the rehydration process.
10 minutes before work, 10 minutes afterwards and 10 minutes home with the kids. If a long- term resolution seems daunting, aim for new measurable goalsmonthly. Think short-termand create a new goal every month. For instance, come up with an idea like drink homemade juices or smoothies five days a week or don’t eat packaged snacks for a month. It doesn’t seem like such a life overhaul if you add or eliminate a certain food for just 30 days. Plus, if you get in the rhythm of it, you might continue. Or if not, you know you will start a new goal the next month. Good luck. Happy New Year and always remember to check with your doctor or physical therapist when making changes to your lifestyle.
3. Be active daily. Aim for 30 minutes of activity daily. Break it up throughout the day:
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
6 BACK CONDITIONS NOT TO IGNORE “Listen To How Your Body Responds To Pain!”
Do you feel aches and pains in your lower back? If so, you are not alone. Four out of every five Americans will suffer from back pain at some time in their lives. Without proper spine mobility, stability and alignment your back structures wear doun over time, similar to tires that are out of alignment.There are many different back conditions, but here are a few common ones: 1. Lumbar or sacral radiculopathy: The result of pressureonanerveexiting thespine.Pain,numbness
4. Lumbar sprain/strain: This is a common cause of low back pain due to injury of muscles and tendons. The rows of muscles that run up and down the sides of the spinal column, are the major muscle groups usually involved in lower back injury. 5. Fractures: These are due to trauma, or sometimes occur without any injury in people with osteoporosis. 6. Spinal cord compression: This is unusual, but very worrisome and may be associated with weakness and loss of bowel/bladder control. Medication and Bed Rest Most lower back pain sufferers try over the counter drugs and bed rest. However, most self remedies will not provide the relief that you need. In fact, bed rest is the wrong thing to do, because it can weaken the spinal muscles further. Weakness in the spinal muscles is one of the main reasons for low back pain and puts you at risk for injuring your back with common activities such as lifting, bending or squatting. Most of us sit too much and this contributes to severe weakening of the back and torso muscles which are needed for a healthy back.
ROBERT FLEMING PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT, Owner
and tingling can be felt down in different parts of the leg.
2. Sciatica: This comes from compression of the sciatic nerve by a muscle called the piriformis, deep in the buttock. Symptoms can radiate down the buttock and leg. 3. Spinal stenosis: This is a narrowing of the bony spinal canal which causes rubbing or pressure on nerves. Central canal stenosis is quite serious as it presses upon the spinal cord.
WILL YOUR BACK HURT AS YOU GET OLDER? If you think that growing older automatically leads to back pain, here’s some great news; it doesn’t! Many people suffer from pain, yet, they still believe their aches and pains are a natural part of aging. They’re not.
Back pain is primarily caused by four main factors: • Spinal muscle weakness • Poor muscle or joint movement • Poor posture • Lack of spinal or pelvic muscle coordination
Treating the Cause of Your Back Pain The goal of our SPINE program is to find the root cause of your pain and correct it, not just treat the symptoms. By treating the root cause of the pain, you can achieve faster, long-lasting results. We provide the most advanced and effective treatments to each of our patients in a caring, friendly environment. Our highly trained and skilled physical therapists use proven hands-on therapy techniques to help people of all ages become free of pain and get back to the activities they enjoy. If your back pain prevents you from standing for long periods, bending down to pick up objects, or getting up and down from the floor to play with your children or grandchildren it’s time to come to Fleming Physical Therapy and restore your quality of life. Knowing the Right Expert to Help You PhysicalTherapists are medical musculoskeletal specialists, meaning we are the experts when it comes to the movement of the body and how the muscles, joints and skeletal structure work with one another.
Effective physical therapy experts recognize that the best treatments are not modalities that depend solely on ultrasound, cold or heat therapy, but rather a skilled hands-on approach to examination and treatment. Studies have proven that manual therapy and specific exercises produce better and faster results than traditional exercise based therapy. If you are suffering with back pain or know someone who is, call us today to discover how we can finally help you become pain free and get back to the activities you enjoy. After all, you’re as young as you feel!
ROASTED SWEET POTATO SOUP
INGREDIENTS • 4 pounds sweet potato • 6 tbsp vegetable oil • Kosher salt • 4 medium carrots, diced • 1 medium onion
• 2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock • 1/4 cup orange juice & 1 tbsp grated zest • 3/4 cup pistachios • 2 scallions • 2 tbsp mint leaves • Pinch cayenne pepper • 1/2 cup olive oil
• 5 cloves garlic • 2 sprigs sage
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 300°F.Toss sweet potato with 4 tablespoons vegetable oil and salt. Spread sweet potato on 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake for 1 hour. Increase oven temperature to 375°F and cook until sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned around the edges, about 25 minutes. In a large pot, heat remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium- high heat until shimmering. Add carrot, onion, garlic, sage, and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until vegetables are just tender. Add sweet potatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are very tender. Discard sage, if using. Add orange juice. Blend soup until smooth. Season with salt. In a mixing bowl, stir together pistachios, orange zest, scallions, mint, and cayenne pepper. Fold in olive oil and season with salt. Serve soup, spooning pistachio salsa on top.
Patient Success Spotlight
Refer A Friend
Do You Have Friends Or Family Unable To Do The Following:
Who Do You Know That Needs Our Help? � Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently & securely � Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle If you know someone suffering with aches and pains give the gift of health. Refer them to Fleming Physical Therapy today. Pass along this newsletter or have them call us directly to schedule an appointment.
“Thank you so very much for all your therapy. I am doing so well. I cannot believe that horrible pain has left me. Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart.” – E.C. That horrible pain has left me!
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
Win A $20 Giftcard!
Call IN & Win!
SINGLE KNEE TO CHEST STRETCH While lying on your back, hold your knee and gently pull it up towards your chest. Hold for 10 counts. Repeat 6 times on both sides. Stretches Lower Back
MISSPELLED MANIA EDITION! You could be the winner of a $20 gift card! Enter our drawing by being the first 10 to call with the misspelled word in this newsletter. Call in at a office near you! CALL IN AT A LOCATION NEAREST YOU!
GLOVERSVILLE 518-921-4189Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs