CAPITAL PROJECTS RECRUITMENT CANDIDATE INFORMATION PACK Project Manager (Refurbishment/ Minor Projects) Candidate Information Pack
About Us We’re Student Roost. An owner and operator of purpose-built student accommodation across the UK and Ireland.
We are unrecognisable from the small brand that launched in late 2017, having already created a portfolio of over 19,000 beds, with ambitious plans for the future. We’ve all heard ‘if you build it…they will come’; we believe if you build it right, they will stay: that goes for both our customers and our people. We want to be a stable, welcoming and safe backdrop for our customer’s entire time at University, giving them one less thing to worry about. And for our people, we all spend more time at work than we do with our loved ones, we think it’s only right that you do that in an organisation, environment and a team that you love being a part of.
As a business built largely on acquisition, we have an array of properties and people, whilst many of our teams didn’t choose to come and work here, they do choose whether or not to stay and we’re confident we’re building a business that attracts talent from a variety of sectors and backgrounds, further diversifying the team in place. Whether our properties were acquired from others or developed by ourselves, we’re excited about the positive changes we can bring to both the physical aspects of the property and the experience within it for our residents. We have, and continue to, invest in exciting, capital programmes, driving value for our residents, the people who work there and our investors. For our people; providing welcoming work environments, interesting roles, competitive pay and benefits that matter to the individual. Our Learning & Development framework too, so whilst the rewards should be there for everyone today, the real riches are in the long-term careers we can offer. We’re putting major efforts into building a brand and an organisation that people want to work for and we think our greatest days are still ahead of us.
Jessica Gallop Director of People
Our Locations: Aberdeen Bath Belfast Birmingham Brighton Bournemouth Chester
Durham Edinburgh Glasgow Leicester Liverpool London Newcastle
Nottingham Sheffield Southampton
Swansea Warwick Wrexham York
*image for illustrative purposes only
WHAT WE OFFER
• Flexible tenancy lengths • Each site’s facilities have been tailored to their environment • Our rooms range from ensuite to studio and apartments • Excellent Customer Service • A home from home
Culture, Values & Behaviours You won’t find our values plastered across our walls, or our Team Members reciting them like a morning call; you won’t find a 100-page booklet detailing how we expect our Team Members to behave and you most certainly won’t find carbon-copy Team Members. Culture is how we work together to deliver a service to our customers, a meaningful career for our people and returns for our investors. It’s every single conversation we have internally and with our customers, parents, universities; it’s every piece of work we deliver, every person we hire, every supplier we pay, every room we sell, every new property we develop. Our values are delivered and not just displayed - It’s one thing to put our values on show; we’d rather put our people on show – that’s how we best demonstrate the values and behaviours here.
High Support – High Challenge
Freedom in a Framework
Reward what’s right
People over Policy
MORE ON VALUES
Let’s start with what they’re not…
They’re not a vinyl or fancy artwork on the wall. They’re not a banner on a website, nor a stick to beat Team Members with. They’re not delivered for you or handed over and they’re never an excuse.
Our values are the things we value here. The things that are important to us and the things we pursue and protect.
Perceptive Communication Courage
Culture, Values & Behaviours Project Manager Due to significant growth the acquisitions of thousands of new bed spaces, we now require further resource in our estates function. The role of Project Manager will work with the Head of Estates and reporting to the Senior Surveyor, the role requires the management and supervision of Estates specialist sub – contractors. The post holder will support and deliver the Student Roosts objectives and values, conform to policies and procedures, and will set standards of high professional conduct for their team and support the core values of the service, to ensure high quality design standards and building operations. You will be responsible to procure and oversee building works carried out on our properties, entailing project planning, cost control and contractor management. We are looking for construction professionals with experience of working in project management or building surveying roles with experience of working on refurbishment projects in a live, operational environment is critical, as is the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of stakeholder groups. Experience of working in the sector is not essential, however we are seeking candidates that demonstrate an understanding and enthusiasm for the positive impact that buildings and estates can have on creating an inspiring environment.
Estates This position requires the management or supervision of Estates specialist sub – contractors. The post holder is expected to support and deliver the Student Roosts objectives and values, conform to policies and procedures, and will set standards of high professional conduct for their team and support the core values of the service to ensure: • Customer satisfaction • High Quality design standards and buildings operations
• High Quality facilities maintenance and services • Safety and security of students, staff and property • Environmental protection and sustainability The post will contribute to and support Estates in the key areas of : • Project planning and feasibility meetings as required
• Contractor management • Cost Control of projects
• Performance measurement and continuous improvement • Effective partnerships within Estates and the Property portfolio
Supervision Received The post holder reports directly to the Head of Estates Supervision Given None
Purpose To procure, oversee and supervise building works carried out within Student Roost owned and leased properties by contractors and/or in house caretaking teams. Main Duties and Responsibilities • Takes schemes from concept to feasibility, design and successful delivery onsite. • Ensures all building work is carried out in accordance with statutory regulations, contract conditions and the Health and Safety at Work Act. • Supervises and oversees Building, M&E works being carried out for Student Roost by contractors and/or in house workforce. • Records the progress of works and prepares management reports on a weekly basis. • Ensures acceptable standard and quality of work and implements any necessary remedial action to meet the interpretation of the contract. • Records work measurement and material usage on site. • Ensures suitable liaison and communication take place at property level with local managers and staff to ensure the projects are delivered on time and cause minimal disruption. • Issues site Instructions in accordance with the contract conditions as may be required. • Surveys and pre-inspects buildings and prepare schedules, details and drawings to be used in contract preparation, forward planning and budget forecasts, together with any other relevant information. • Maintains regular liaison with customers, contractor’s and management monitoring progress against the programme. Establishes good quality communication places to manage sensitive works. • Contributes to the preparation of valuations, costing’s and final accounts within the department as and when necessary • Monitors final and practical completion of work ensuring contractors correct defects as notified, certifying as appropriate when satisfied.
AND such other duties as are within the scope and spirit of the job title, purpose, and it’s grading.
Qualification Essential • HNC in Project Management, QS or Building Surveying Advantageous • Degree • Project Management Qualification • Membership of RICS
Experience (Paid and Unpaid) Essential • Application of current Building Regulations & Statutory requirements • Experience of writing written specifications and obtaining competitive quotations • Experience refurbishment protects • Experience of management of painting and decorating programs • Experience of managing kitchen and bathroom refurbishments • Extensive knowledge of building fabric, drainage, windows, doors and roof systems • Effective management of contractors • Extensive knowledge of building fabric fault diagnostic methods • Experience of dealing with Asbestos and COSHH Advantageous • Work in the Accommodation sector and understanding of building operations • M&E building services understanding
Job-Related Skills/ Aptitudes Essential
• Ability to understand Building layout drawings • Knowledge of current Building Regulations
• Working knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation and Practice • Knowledge of CDM regulations and how to operate safely within them • Structured approach to problem solving • Driven to achieve best value • Effective Building and Project Management skills • Attention to detail specifically around decorative finish Advantageous • Ability to use Microsoft Project, Outlook, Word and Excel • Knowledge of industry performance measures and experience of their use Interpersonal Skills Essential • Effective communication skills in oral and written format with both colleagues and clients • Courteous, self-motivated, excellent multi discipline and team working skills
Other Requirements Essential • Willing to Travel and manage the delivery of national projects
WHAT WILL IT TAKE? Physical Effort About You
• You’ll be desk-based at our office in Birmingham, working in front of a screen for much of that time. In line with the DSE assessment, we encourage time away from your workstation, fresh air throughout the day and a good balance between systems and human beings! Mental Effort • This is a role of competing priorities and as a seasonal operation, there are times of year when workloads may spike or unplanned incidents will take over. The role requires someone highly organised, but someone who is calm and pragmatic in their response to changes • Despite solid planning, short-notice work may be required of you • Unpredictable pattern of activity, no two days are the same and this role would be more suited to someone who can operate effectively in a highly-varied environment Emotional Effort • As we build out this business, working on the development of organisational processes, systems and change, it can bring with it uncertainty. We would seek to minimise or remove any concerns for people through clear, consistent communication.
CAPITAL PROJECTS RECRUITMENT CANDIDATE INFORMATION PACK To arrange a confidential conversation to discuss the opportunity in more depth, please contact Nicholad Coppard of the Management Recruitment Group. Applications should be sent to email@example.com Closing date is Monday 13th April 2020Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16
Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter