Marc Lopez Law - September 2018


We’re in the final weeks of summer, andmy family and I just got back from a visit to Indiana Beach. In my experience, parenting a four-year-old is equal parts gratifying, perilous, and exhausting. The past fewmonths have been a whirlwind of weekend trips, princess-themed dance parties, and evenings at the neighborhood pool. Whenever I can, I like to reflect on how blessed I am to be able to enjoy this time withmy family. If I’mbeing honest, it’s my law practice that makes this possible. What started as an experiment with a lone attorney in a little office has grown into a sprawling web of human interdependence. I rely on clients and employees just as much as they rely onme, and relationships can only survive if trust works both ways. I’m always looking for ways to refine and improve the way I do business, and this summer has been no exception. To that end, Attorney Matthew Kroes and I attended a training conference in Miami to learn about the ways that small firms can improve their commitment to customer service. I’ve also recently hired a second paralegal named Brittney to assist with office efficiency. Only one of our Britts has the military training necessary to patch a gunshot wound, but both of them are experienced paralegals. Whether you’ve been arrested or seriously hurt in an accident, I understand that life doesn’t stop. Bills are still due, employers still expect you to show up to work, and kids still need to get to school —your legal issues exist on top of all of your other obligations. I FROM THE DESK OF Marc Lopez

THEWORLDTRADE CENTER H ow the T owers C ame to B e

On Sept.11, 2001, at 8:46 a.m., American Airlines Flight 11 struck the north tower of the World Trade Center traveling at 470 mph, ripping a hole in the building from floors 93 to 99. At 9:03 a.m., a second plane smashed into the south tower traveling at 590 mph, cutting a gaping hole from floors 75 to 85. Within an hour, the south tower collapsed due to the sheer weight of the building combined with the damage dealt by the impact and the burning jet fuel. At 10:28 a.m., the north tower followed. The rubble and debris from the collapsed towers caused fires and further damage to the surrounding buildings and areas. Within hours, nearly 3,000 people had lost their lives. The attack left the world in a state of terror and grief, and the United States was changed forever. Today, the twin towers’ last day is remembered as the worst terrorist attack in history, but few people know how the buildings became part of New York City’s skyline in the first place. A world trade center pavilion was first hosted during the New York World’s Fair in 1939 — the exhibit was dedicated to the slogan “world peace through trade.”The idea for the World Trade Center was then abandoned after seven years, until David Rockefeller revived the concept to reinvigorate lower Manhattan. Rockefeller took the reins and continued the project, finding premises near the Fulton Fish Market on the East River, and construction on the $250 million complex began. He also turned to the Port of New York Authority for financial support to ensure the World Trade Center’s completion, and the first real plans for the World Trade Center were put into action. It was then that the Port Authority decided the towers should break the record for the tallest building in the world, beating the 1,250-foot Empire State building. To do this, architect Minoru Yamasaki designed the towers to hold 110 stories each, but they would not have the

want my clients to know that in addition tome working hard on their legal issues, their concerns are acknowledged, heard, and understood.

Enjoy the last days of summer, and always Plead the Fifth.

Continued on page 2 ...

(317) 632-3642 • 1

Made with FlippingBook Online document