Heel to Better Relationships
Check Out ‘Listen Like a Dog’ to Improve Your Listening Skills
our sentences or try to top our stories. They don’t look at their cell phones when we try to talk to them. Dogs pay close attention to us, studying our facial expressions, tone of voice, and body language. As a result, despite the animal’s inability to respond to us verbally, the person feels heard. In Lazarus’ book, he encourages readers to apply the techniques dogs naturally use every day to do more than just hear what another person says. Lazarus explains that listening is not so much about our acknowledgment of what a person said through advice or interjecting our own experiences. Instead, it’s more about our attentiveness to the person speaking. Our nonverbal communication can be one of the best ways to assure the speaker that we are listening and understanding what they are saying.
They say a dog is a man’s best friend, but they might also be our greatest teachers. As author and communication
people think and actively listen while communicating both professionally and personally. The book features light hearted,
specialist Jeff Lazarus writes in his 2016 book, “Listen Like a Dog,” our four-legged loyal
humorous approach with insightful observations that
you can easily use to improve your listening. Chapter such as “Leash Laws” and “Faux Paws” give the reader an engaging and relatable analogies and practical advice to help you enjoy the benefits of better communication. The concept behind Lazarus’ writing is simple: Everyone wants to feel heard. Think about the last time you talked to a dog, or give it a try if you haven’t. During this exercise, people often find themselves divulging their most private, unfiltered thoughts, while the dog actively listens. There’s no texting, interrupting, or advice giving; the dog just listens. Dogs don’t finish
companions are also some of the
best listeners. By observing their tendencies and applying their practices, we can foster greater relationships and connections. Lazarus is a sought-after coach and speaker who works with CEOs, business professionals, journalists, writers, and various other professionals to help them improve their communications skills. Since its debut, the book has been revolutionizing the way many
Pizza Dough (makes enough dough for two medium-sized pizzas) My Pizza Pie My wife and I have been making a pizza every Valentine’s Day for 10 years. It’s a fun project to do as a couple that tests our communication skills as we decide which toppings to use. Here is our recipe. Enjoy! –Dr. Larry
To make pizza:
1. Heat oven to 450 F. 2. Oil pizza pan (or stone).
3. Work dough to make a thin crust. 4. Spread about 1 tablespoon extra- virgin oil on crust with back of spoon. 5. Sprinkle 1 clove garlic on crust
(optionally, put 2 medium cloves garlic on crust and none on top of pizza).
Pizza Ingredients • 1 packet yeast • 1 cup warm water • 1 1/2 tablespoon oil
• 1 or 1/2 teaspoon salt • 3 cups flour
6. Bake crust 8 minutes. 7. Cover crust with one layer of tomato slices, slightly overlapping. 8. Cover tomatoes with 1/2 of the shredded/sliced cheese. 9. Tear basil leaves onto top of pizza. 10. Sprinkle with another diced clove of garlic. 11. Drizzle 1/2 (1/4 cup total) of the 50/50 oil-vinegar mixture. 12. Bake 12 minutes. When cooled, enjoy with your friends!
• 8–10 thinly sliced Roma (plum) tomatoes • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil mixed with 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar • Olive oil for pan and crust top 5. Cover and let rise (15–20 minutes) in warm spot. 6. Oil large pizza pan. 7. Put dough in oil and lightly spread dough to fit.
Dough Instructions • 1 ball of dough, divided in half • 4 medium cloves of garlic, diced • 16 oz shredded or sliced cheese(s) of your choice • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan • Fresh basil leaves, torn (to taste) 1. Dissolve 1 packet of yeast in 1 cup warm water. 2. Add oil and salt 3. Stir 3 cups flour into dissolved yeast. 4. Knead by hand to form ball.
• 3 (516) 872-8485hearingcenterofli.com
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online