NEWSLETTER April 2018 BENEFITS OF MASSAGE THERAPY
Massage is one of the earliest healing practices and is found in writings as early as 2,000 B.C. Since then, the art of massage has been shared world-wide, evolved through cultures, and proven through science to be wildly effective in promoting andmaintaining physical, emotional, and mental health. Whether your intention for massage is just to “feel better” or it’s part of amulti- modality recovery plan from an injury; whether this is your 100th massage or your first- benefits abound! Beyondthegeneralbenefitsofsoothingachingmuscles, relieving stress and anxiety, lowering blood pressure, increasing range of motion, enhancing exercise performance, and helping you sleep better, did you know Massage Therapy can ease the symptoms of specific diagnoses too? Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, depression, fibromyalgia pain, and the effects of dementia are all improved through Massage. Massage is also a wonderful addition to post-operative recovery plans and is very successful in reducing pain intensity/severity, fatigue and anxiety in cancer populations.
“Sky’s The Limit When You’re Pain Free!” RELIEVING LOWBACK, HIP&KNEE ARTHRITIS PAIN April 2018
• 6 Tips To Help Your Arthritis Pain • Healthy Recipe
• Relieve Hip Pain In Minutes • Patient Success Spotlight
Low Back, Hip, & Knee Arthritis Relief With Spaulding Physical Therapy
(treatment group) or a pill that actually did nothing to help their pain without them knowing (placebo group). Tests were done to measure how well the people were doing 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 1 year later. The results were very impressive with the patients who had hands-on physical therapy combined with gentle, specific exercises. They showed significant improvements in their pain, mobility and function. By 8 weeks, patients were able to walk further and faster with much less, or completely resolved pain. Their joint stiffness, aches and mobility had improved by 55% as compared to the group who had no treatment. At one year, patients in the treatment group still were doing great in terms of less pain and more mobility. Other benefits included less need for surgery with only 5% of patients in the treatment group having undergone surgery as compared to 20% with the placebo group. Ifyouaresufferingfromosteoarthritis,ourphysical therapytreatmentsrelieve yourpain. Isn’t it timeyoudidsomethingaboutyourpainandmovement?Call us today at Spaulding Physical Theraoy to learn more about our ARTHRITIS PROGRAM so we can make a positive difference in your life. Annalsof InternalMedicine:February1,2000vol.132no.3173-181.GailD.Deyle,MPT;NancyE.Henderson, PhD,MPT;RobertL.Matekel,MPT;MichaelG.Ryder,MPT;MatthewB.Garber,MPT;andStephenC.Allison, PhD,MPT,ECS
Dear Valued Client,
Do you suffer from back, knee or hip pain? It is possible you may have osteoarthritis in those joints. Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common condition of the joints, affecting approximately 27 million
Dr. Leslyn H. Spaulding Owner
Americans. With OA, there is a breakdown in the cartilage covering the ends of bones. As the cartilage wears away, the bones become exposed and rub against each other. Thedeteriorationofcartilagealsoaffects theshapeandmakeupof the joint so that it no longer functions smoothly. The ligaments and tendons around the joint become stiff and the muscles that support the joint become weak. This leads to even more painful rubbing of the joint surfaces. There are many studies and patient success stories promoting the effectiveness of physical therapy for osteoarthritis. Our expert therapists at Spaulding Physical Theraoy are trained specifically in treating patients suffering from osteoarthritis and work to obtain optimal results. Study Shows How to Relieve OA Pain. In a medical study, 83 patients with osteoarthritis were assigned to receive either hands-on physical therapy
“Gain Relief & Mobility Naturally!” 6 TIPS TO HELP YOUR ARTHRITIS PAIN
When it comes to treating arthritis, you may have more options than you realize. There is a lot you can do to reduce your aches and pains from arthritis, while gaining more mobility and function. People often experience pain from arthritis because of stiff joints, muscles and other tissues. In addition,musclesbecomeweak, thereforenotsupporting thearthritic joints. Our customized physical therapy treatments promote muscle strength, improve range of motion, increase mobility and ease pain. In addition, coupling your treatments with the following can also help you live life to the fullest and get you back to doing the things you love: 1. Education and self-management. When your treatment is over, our experts will have equipped you with the knowledge and exercises you need to continue your progress on your own. 2. Weight loss. Maintaining your recommended weight or losing weight if you are overweight can lessen your pain by reducing stress on your affected joints. Weight loss specifically helps ease pressure on weight- bearing joints such as the hips and knees. 3. Footwear and insoles. If arthritis affects your knee, special footwear and insoles can reduce pain and improve walking. 4. Knee braces. For osteoarthritis with associated knee instability, a knee brace can reduce pain, improve stability and reduce the risk of falling.
5. Heat and cold . Many people find the heat of a warm bath, heat pack or paraffin bath eases arthritis pain. Others find relief in cold packs. Still others prefer alternating the two. Learn more about what can work best for you by talking to our Spaulding Physical Therapy specialists. 6. Exercise. Exercise has been proven to help reduce arthritis pain while increasing strength and function. Knowing the right kind of exercises to do is the key. Talking with our physical therapists will point you in the right direction. There is a lot that you can do to relieve the pain from arthritis and protect your joints for the long-term.FindoutmoreaboutourARTHRITISPROGRAM by calling us today and discover how to relieve and reduce the pain of arthritis.
Healthy Recipe: No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
INGREDIENTS • 2 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats • ½ cup of ground flax seed • 1 tablespoon of black chia seeds • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
• ½ cup of raw honey • ½ cup of peanut butter • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder • ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS Add rolled oats, ground flax seed, chia seeds, cinnamon, honey, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and vanilla protein powder to food processor. Pulse until ingredients are blended (about 7-9 times). Add mixture to a large bowl, add in chocolate chip. Stir to combine. Form energy bite mixture into 1” balls and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover and place in refrigerator for 2 hours. Serve!
Author: Krista @ https://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-energy-balls/
CALL TODAY! 859-497-2924
Hear What Our Patients Have to Say! Patient Success Spotlight
Relieve Hip Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing hip pain.
Loosens tight hips
HIP HIKES While standing up on a step, lower one leg downward towards the floor by tilting your pelvis to the side. Then return the pelvis/ leg back to a leveled position.
“My progress has been great!” Success Story: Gilbert B.
“I’ve been going to Spaulding Physical Therapy for 5 months-I was scheduled for knee surgery. I thought I would try therapy, hoping it would make me stronger. It has helped me so much. My knees and balance are doing so well I have avoided surgery. Thank you for all your help. May God bless! Gilbert”
Difficulty Bending Or Reaching? Attention Arthritis Pain Sufferers!
Don’t let pain become a way of life Pinpoint the exact cause of your joint pain!
Relieve your spinal pain! Do you suffer with a y of the following symptoms? • Pain while bending or reaching • Chronic back pain • Difficulty with stiffness and soreness • Pain from an old injury or accident • Difficulty completing simple tasks • Radiating pain to muscles and joints
FREE JOINT PAIN SCREENING
CALL US TODAY 859-497-2924 Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule. Expires 04-27-18.
TIREDOF ENJOYING THE CHANGE OF SEASONS FROMTHEWINDOW? 3 Natural Ways To Beat Spring Allergies
1. Limit your time outdoors. Each spring, trees release billions of tiny pollen grains into the air. When you breathe them into your nose and lungs, they can trigger an allergic reaction. Staying inside can help, especially on windy days and during the early morning hours, when pollen counts are highest. 2. Get natural relief. Some herbal remedies may help stave off allergy symptoms. More research is needed, but an extract from a shrub called butterbur shows promise. Biminne, a Chinese herbal formula with ingredients like ginkgo biloba and Chinese skullcap, may also help. One study found that people who took biminne five times a day for 12 weeks still felt the benefits a year later. 3.Tweak your home. Simple changes make a difference. Shut all windows to keep out pollen. Use an air conditioner to cool your home instead of a fan, which draws in air from outside. Take off your shoes at the door and ask guests to do the same. That keeps allergens outside. Finally, don’t smoke. It can make allergy symptoms worse. If you or someone you live with smokes, now is a good time to quit. If you start smoking again, start over.
Are you still suffering from allergies after following these steps? Call us today at 859-497-2924 to schedule an appointment with one of our doctors of physical therapy.
3041 Owingsville Road Mount Sterling, KY 40353
Phone: 859-497-2924 Fax: 859-497-2926
Attention Past & Present Patients GRAND OPENING CELEBRATION
4:30PM to 7:00PM Join us on Wednesday, April 18 to celebrate our new, expanded location, meet our awesome team and learn about our new Physical Therapy and Wellness programs. We are so excited to see everyone! If you are a past or present patient or if you are referring a friend or family member (or the stubborn spouse above)… give them this Newsletter Insert and tell them to attend our grand opening. Special Event April 18th 3041 Owingsville Road Mount Sterling, KY 40353 Phone: 859-497-2924 Fax: 859-497-2926 www.spauldingpt.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook HTML5