Health & Wellness NEWSLETTER
IMPROVE YOUR PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE WITH THESE STRETCHES!
Many common aches and pains stem from tight muscles and poor movement. The key to good health is to keep your body flexible. This helps your circulatory, respiratory, lymphatic, and musculoskeletal systems. When your tissues are flexible, normal blood and lymphatic fluids circulate the body easier, oxygenating your tissues properly. This helps you feel energized, relieves pain, and allows you to performdaily tasks without feeling tired. (continued inside) INSIDE: • Stretches That Will Help You Avoid Pain & Injury • Healthy Recipe • Relieve Aches & Pain In Minutes • Getting Back in Shape After Stay-at- Home Orders are Lifted • Staff Spotlight
Health & Wellness NEWSLETTER
IMPROVE YOUR PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE WITH THESE STRETCHES!
Call for your FREE PAIN CONSULTATION We offer 8 convenient locations call to schedule today! 434.200.7600
(continued from outside)
Additionally, stretching is necessary for dedicated athletes, weekend warriors, or anyone looking to improve their physical performance. After a workout, you may not feel the need to stretch if your muscles aren’t aching or sore. However, there are several potential effects of not taking the time to stretch correctly after exercise. You might experience stiffness if you’re not stretching
adequately. Muscles and tendons that aren’t stretched properly after exercise may be more susceptible to injury. It is important to not only make sure you’re stretching after exercise, but that you’re doing the right types of stretches.
YOU DO NOT NEED A DOCTOR’S PRESCRIPTION TO SEEK PHYSICAL THERAPY. IN THE STATE OF VIRGINIA YOU HAVE DIRECT ACCESS TO PHYSICAL THERAPY.
STRETCHES THAT WILL HELP YOU AVOID PAIN & INJURY
1. Kneeling hip flexor stretch. Kneel on a mat or soft surface. Make sure you’re positioned so your right knee is straight up and the bottom of your right foot is flat on the floor. Extend your left leg behind you so the top of your left foot is flat on the floor. Begin to shift your weight forward and stop when you begin to feel the stretch in your hip. Hold for 30-45 seconds, then switch legs. 2. Pigeon stretch. Begin on a mat or soft surface. Sit so your left leg is extended behind you, with the top of your left leg flat on the floor, and your right leg bent so the outside of your calf and thigh are flat on the floor. Your right foot should be almost touching your left hip. Slowly lean forward with your arms outstretched so your chest is resting on top of your bent right leg. Keep your head tucked toward the ground. Hold for 30-45 seconds, then relax and switch sides. 3. Calf stretch. Stand with your hands on your hips. Step forward with your right leg and bend your knee, keeping your left leg straight behind you. Place your left heel flat on the ground so you feel the stretch in your left calf muscle. Hold for 30-45 seconds, then switch legs. 4. Quad stretch. Stand with your legs hip-width apart. Relax your shoulders and flex your abdominal muscles. Use your right hand to pull your right leg toward your buttocks, so your knee is bent facing the floor. Hold your right foot in your hand for 30-45 seconds, then repeat on the left side. 5. Hamstring stretch. Begin by holding onto a stable object, such as a wall, chair, or railing. Place your right foot on a slightly raised surface, such as a step or a curb, so your heel is touching the surface and your toes are facing upwards. Make sure your hips are straight. Slowly bend
your left knee until you begin to feel the stretch in your right thigh. Hold for 30-45 seconds then repeat with the left leg. 6. Supine twist stretch. Begin by laying on a mat or soft surface, with your back flat on the ground and your right knee bent. Use your left arm to bring your bent right knee to the other side of your body, keeping your right arm outstretched flat on the ground. Rotate your hips slightly to the left in order to do this. Hold for 30-45 seconds then repeat with the left leg. Add stretches to your daily routine today! There are many other ways that stretching can help you live your best life. If you are looking to add stretches to your daily life, contact us for assistance! We will schedule a consultation with one of our dedicated physical therapists, so you can discuss which stretches will be best for you. Contact Centra Rehabilitation today to get started on the first steps of your treatment plan and learn more about how targeted stretches will benefit you!
Call us today to schedule an appointment!
HEALTHY RECIPE: MEDITERRANEAN CHICKPEA SALAD
Kyle M. Walling, PT, DPT – Atherholt Clinic Kyle M. Walling PT, DPT has been practicing physical therapy since 2012 with a focus in treating outpatient orthopedic and neurologic patients. He has spent all seven years in supervisor/director positions with the past four years running and opening clinics in the Naples, Florida, area. His outpatient interest include sports medicine, neurologic dysfunctions, chronic neck/back pain, gait/
INGREDIENTS • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil • 3 garlic cloves, minced • 1 tbsp lemon zest • 2 tbsp lemon juice • 3/4 tsp sea salt • black pepper • 1 ½ tsp cumin seeds* • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
balance impairments, and vestibular dysfunctions. Kyle is accepting new patients at Centra Rehabilitation – Atherholt, 1905 Atherholt Road, Lynchburg. To schedule an appointment, please call 434.200.4200. In most cases, no referral is required. Education James Madison University • Studied sports management with a minor in business Bridgewater College • Bachelor of Science, health and exercise science
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved • 4 Medjool dates, pitted and diced • 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced • 1 cup chopped red peppers • ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
• 3 oz honey goat cheese (or similar) • ¼ cup fresh mint • 1 cup chopped roasted chickpeas, (optional)
DIRECTIONS In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and several grinds of pepper. In a skillet over medium-low heat, toast the cumin seeds until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove seeds from heat and crush (a mortar & pestle is easiest). Add seeds to the bowl and stir. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, dates, cucumbers, red pepper, and parsley to the bowl and toss. Transfer to a serving platter and dollop with goat cheese, sprinkle with mint, and top with extra roasted chickpeas, if desired. Season to taste and serve.
Old Dominion University • Doctorate, physical therapy
Getting Back in Shape After Stay-at-Home Orders are Lifted Is the quarantine causing you to lose the progress you made before the stay-at-home orders were put in place?
The sedentary lifestyle that I’m sure many people have experienced since being quarantined to their homes can actually lead to more aches, pains, and discomfort than one may think. Your body, quite simply, was made tomove! With gyms and exercise classes closing down, for the time being, it can be difficult to find the motivation to get your daily physical activity while sitting at home. At Centra Rehabilitation, we want tomake sure you are able to get back into your normal exercise routine once the quarantine is over and the stay-at- home orders are lifted. Follow our tips below and feel free to contact us if 1. Baby steps at first. If you haven’t been participating in the same type of vigorous physical activity you used to be accustomed to, it is important to begin with baby steps. Start small in the beginning and build up from there. When you push your body past its current limits, you make yourself more prone to injuries because your body is not prepared for the physical demands being asked of it. A physical therapist can help you understand the limits that your body developed while under quarantine and can create an exercise plan for you to get back to your physical goals. 2.Keeping the correct form. No matter what type of physical exercise you are trying to get back into, form is a crucial part of it.The proper form could mean the difference between physical progress or injury. Your ability to safely perform any movement is reliant on great posture and proper body positioning. When living the sedentary lives that we all currently are, it is possible for your natural posture to shift a bit. A physical therapist can also help you improve your form during exercise by addressing any issues you may have while sitting, standing, twisting, bending, running, jumping, or you have any additional questions! Tips for getting back in shape.
lifting. Your physical therapist will create targeted exercises and stretches for you to improve your current form and limit the amount of impact on your joints during exercise. 3. Getting back to your weight goal. It is no secret that this quarantine will cause many of us to lose some muscle mass and put on some more weight. With help froma physical therapist, you can set up an exercise regimen that will help you shed some pounds and maintain a healthy weight, taking off the added stress on your joints that may have developed during the stay- at-home orders. Your physical therapist will customize an exercise plan for your specific needs, whichmay include stretching, aerobic exercise, weight training, or pain relief treatments if necessary.This will help in reaching your targeted weight and decreasing pressure on vulnerable parts of your body. Contact us today. Looking for more assistance in getting back in shape after stay-at-home orders are lifted? Centra Rehabilitation is here for you. Contact us today to discover how we can help you achieve your fitness goals after quarantine.
Attention Pain Sufferers!
Do You Have Difficulty With Pain?
• Decrease your pain • Increase your strength • Increase your activity level We can help:
• Increase your flexibility • Improve your health • Get back to living
Mention or Bring inThis Coupon Today For a FREE Pain Consultation
Call A Clinic Nearest You Today!
Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule.
The best way to keep your body healthy during this time is to stay moving and reduce inflammation. Being sedentary and making poor diet choices has the potential to hurt your immune system and make you a target for sickness and disease. 9 ways to strengthen your body against viruses like COVID-19: • Wash your hands. • Decide to get up and get moving. 9 WAYS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR BODY AGAINST VIRUSES LIKE COVID-19
• Eat nutrition rich food. • Drink plenty of water. • Don’t smoke. • Get a good amount of rest. • Stretch. • Take frequent breaks for breathing exercises. Inhale and exhale deeply. • Continue your home exercise program 2-3 times per week. In order to be healthy, there needs to be a large emphasis onmovement.When your body is flexible, strong, well-balanced, and fueled by a nutritious diet, it is able to fight infection and reduce the impact of viruses. We are dedicated to helping you live the best life you can. During this time, if you cannot make it to your physical therapy appointments, continue your exercises at home. We care for you and remember you are part of our physical therapy family. rehab.centrahealth.com
Relieve Aches & Pain In Minutes Without Pain Medication! Try these movements if you are experiencing pain.
Print sudoku http://1sudoku.com
4 5 1
EXERCISE BALL - PRAYER STRETCH While kneeling with an exercise ball in front of you, slowly lean forward and roll the ball forward until a stretch is felt. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat 3 times. 1 7 3 6 5 7
IT BAND - STRETCH - SIDELYING Start by lying on your side with your back near the edge of your bed or table. Your affected leg should be on top. Next, let the top leg lower behind you as you maintain an extended knee as shown. You should feel a gentle stretch along the side of your leg. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat 3 times. 2 9 7 2 6 8 4
Strengthens lower back
Stretches hips 5 1
Exercises copyright of
8 6 5
8 1 4
Always consult your physical therapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing.
n° 315825 - Level Hard
n° 329837 - Level Hard
Discover How To Live Pain-Free 6 4 7 1 7
7 9 3
At Centra Rehabilitation, you will receive hands-on therapy treatments by our friendly, caring health experts during focused and individualized sessions. It’s time to call Centra Rehabilitation if: • You’re tired of living in pain • You want to feel better and move better • You have been in an auto accident or injured on the job • You want to prevent injury 8 5 9 4 3 5 1 2 2 8 4 9 http://1sudoku.com VISIT A CENTRA LOCATION NEAR YOU! 5 7 6 9 1 3 n° 3996 - Level Hard
http://1sudoku.com Sudoku Corner! n° 34745 - Level Hard
7 5 2
3 6 1 9 5 7 3 4
Jamerson Family YMCA
Centra Virginia Baptist Hospital
Center for Pelvic Health
3 5 4
Centra Lynchburg Medical Center
9 4 8 3 2
2 4 7
n° 329149 - Level Hard
n° 312259 - Level Hard
Play on your mobile these puzzles and find their solutions by flashing the codes below :Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook Proposal Creator