San Antonio—Central South Texas Edition 2020—U.S. Small Bus…


» You must be certified as a small business within your NAICS industry classification ( ). » Mentors and protegesmust be organized for profit or as an agricultural cooperative. » Mentors cannot own more than 40% equity in the protege’s business. » An SBA determination of affiliation must not exist between the mentor and the protege. All Small-approved partnerships receive an exclusion of affiliation for contracting purposes. HUBZone Businesses located in historically underused business zones, hubzone , can gain special access to federal contracts. To qualify for the certification, your small business must: » be owned and controlled by U.S. citizens, a community development corporation, an agricultural cooperative, Indian tribal government, Alaska native corporation,

Woman-Owned Small Business Certification Here’s how to get certified so you can more easily compete for government contracts.

1. Make sure you’re eligible

» The business must be owned and controlled by one or more women who are U.S. citizens. » A woman must hold the highest officer position. » Women must manage the daily business operations on a full-time basis and conduct long-term decision making and planning. To qualify as an economically disadvantaged woman-owned small business, the business owner and/or manager must also meet certain income and asset requirements. Find out more at .

or a native Hawaiian organization » have a principal office located in a HUBZone, which includes Indian

2. Register

reservations and military facilities closed by the Base Realignment and Closure Act. Enter your address in our interactive map, , to see if you qualify. » have at least 35% of your employees living in a HUBZone Service-Disabled Veterans If you’re a service-disabled veteran looking to enter the federal marketplace, you may be eligible for this small business certification. To determine your eligibility, contact a veterans business development officer at your local SBA office, or the SBA’s Office of Veterans Business Development, . After you have set up to do business with the government in , update your status as a service-disabled veteran business. Keep in mind, the SBA does not officially certify this designation, so when a contract awarded based on this eligibility is protested, the SBA will determine if your business meets the eligibility status, ownership and control requirements.

» Register with the System for Award Management ( ) to start doing business with the government.

3. Certify

» Submit your documents to . The SBA will offer free certification starting in late summer 2020. Or obtain certification from one of the SBA’s approved third-party certifiers (which costs a fee):

• El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

• National Women Business Owners Corp.

• U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce

• Women’s Business Enterprise National Council

4. Update your status

» Update your status as a woman-owned small business in .

5. Search the database

» Search for your new business opportunity. You must receive your certification prior to submitting an offer on a contract set aside for a woman-owned small business.


Made with FlippingBook Learn more on our blog