2017 Summer Schedule MPC

Financial Aid Information What is Financial Aid? Financial aid is the money you receive from federal, state and local programs to help you meet the expenses (books, enrollment fee, food, rent, and transportation) of a college education. Financial aid provides assistance to students who would be unable to attend college without such help. THE PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY OF PAYING COLLEGE COSTS RESTS WITH YOU AND YOUR PARENTS. Financial aid can help fill the gap between what you and your family can pay and the cost of your education. Student Financial Services provides different types of financial aid, such as grants, scholarships, work-study, and Direct Student Loans. Who is eligible? You do not need to be from a low-income family to be eligible for financial aid, but you must demonstrate financial need. Your financial need is the difference between the cost of attendance and your expected family contribution. If you would like to apply for financial, APPLY NOW! How do I apply? To be considered for financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible at www.fafsa.gov or the Dream Act Application at www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp Student Financial Services will notify you of any required documents to complete your financial aid file. What are the General Eligibility Requirements? In order to be eligible for federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs, a student must meet the following requirements: • Must be accepted for admission and enrolled in an eligible academic program. • Must have a High School Diploma or the equivalent (GED), or have received the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE). • Must be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP), whether or not you received financial aid. • Must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number. • Must be in compliance with Selective Service Registration requirements. • Must have resolved any drug conviction issues. • Must not be in default on any Federal Loan Program or in repayment of any Federal Grant Programs. • Must demonstrate financial need. What is Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress? In order to show financial aid satisfactory academic progress during a given semester, you must: • Earn semester and cumulative grade point averages of at least 2.0 (“C” average); • Complete 75% of the units you attempt, both semester and cumulative; and Complete your degree within the 150% Maximum Timeframe (90 units attempted.) • For BOG fee waiver, maintain 2.0 GPA and complete 50% of attempted units each semester and overall.

What are my responsibilities as a student receiving Financial Aid? As a student receiving financial aid, you are required to: • Sign up for an MPC email account. • Notify Student Financial Services of any change in your address, name, marital status, Social Security Number or income. • Respond immediately to all correspondence sent to you by the Student Financial Services office, the Federal or State Student Aid Programs. • Register for your classes, and complete your all requirements for financial aid. • Maintain satisfactory academic progress. *Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to pay any outstanding fees to MPC. What is the deadline to apply for Financial Aid? The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available January of every year. The application for financial aid has to be completed every year you are planning to attend school. There is a priority deadline which is January 1st to March 2nd, so it is encouraged to apply early. How can I check on my status? There are a few ways to check on your status, They are: • Visiting the financial office in the Student Service Building. Once you have completed the financial aid application process, your eligibility for financial aid will be determined. Student Financial Services will mail you a financial aid award letter. The award letter will inform you of the amount, type of financial aid you will be eligible to receive, and the date(s) check(s) will be issued. If you are not eligible to receive financial aid, Student Financial Services will notify you by letter as well. What about fee waivers? Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver: This California-funded fee waiver program assists students who are classified as California residents with the mandatory Enrollment Fee. BOG Fee Waiver Method A: Assists students who are receiving public assistance, or are dependents of a parent on public assistance. BOG Fee Waiver Method B: Assists students as determined by the California Income Standards. BOG Fee Waiver Method C: Assists students who have completed the FAFSA and have $1,104 in need. To apply for student loans, you will need to complete the steps listed on our website under “Direct Federal Students Loans.” Student Financial Services is located in the Student Services building. Please refer to the Financial Aid website for office hours. Contact Student Financial Services for assistance at (831) 646-4030 , send an email to financialaid@mpc.edu , or visit our website at www.mpc.edu/financial-aid. • Sending an email from your MPC email account. • Through WebReg Portal under My Financial Aid. When will I know if I am eligible for Financial Aid? This is determined by Student Financial Services. HOW DO I APPLY FOR STUDENT LOANS?



Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker