Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
“Is Pain Hindering You From Your Studies?” IMPROVE YOUR POSTURE IN THE CLASSROOM
1. Adjust your backpack: One of the reasons your back hurts is because the weight you carry on your backpack. The gap between your back and your backpack is what causes the stress to your back, though, which damages your posture at the end. To fix this, adjust your backpack handles so it can be as close to your back as possible to avoid your spine to curve excessively when carrying your backpack. 2. Unload your backpack: I know, I know, you have a biology exam tomorrow and you need to bring your chemistry book with you so you can do the lab properly. But carrying everything in your backpack and loading it with heavy school supplies is not good for your back or your posture. Leave the heavy supplies at your apartment and take a good walk home every time you need them (say yes to exercise!) or carry them in your hands. This will -literally- take weight from your back and will improve your posture.
3. Wear both stripes of your backpack: The cool kids walk around campus carrying their backpacks on just one shoulder, but the cool kids also have bad posture and back problems. Do not follow this trend, and use both straps of your backpack so the weight is evenly distributed on your back.
Source: https://www.uprightpose.com/blogs/news/how- to-improve-your-posture-as-a-college-student
Using Backpacks Wisely To help kids prevent injury when using a backpack:
• Lighten the load. No matter how well-designed the backpack, less weight is always better. Use the bathroom scale to check that a pack isn’t over 10% to 15% of your child’s body weight (for example, the backpack of a child who weighs 80 pounds shouldn’t weigh more than 8 to 12 pounds). If your child has back pain or numbness or weakness in the arms or legs, talk to your doctor or a physical therapist.
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
SCIATICA & BACK PAIN RELIEF Discussing Back Pain and Sciatica with Theresa Palkovic, PT. “ Why Wait For The Pain To Get Worse Before Seeking Treatment? ”
• Stand Up To Sciatica • Healthy Recipe • Relieve Back Pain In Minutes • Patient Success Spotlight • Healthe Habits For Living
Dear Valued Client,
Do you experience pain in the buttock, leg, or even your foot? If so, you may be experiencing sciatica.
THERESA PALKOVIC PT
Sciatica is a common form of back and leg pain that is often misunderstood by sufferers. People frequently have questions about what sciatica is, why it occurs and how to find relief from the intense pain itcancause from the lowbackdown to the feet. If you are suffering from sciatica, it is important to find its root cause. Many people often think an x-ray or expensive MRI is first needed to figure out what is causing pain. Having a lot of tests doesn’t mean you will find its root cause. Recent studies show that nearly 1 million of MRIs done for sciatica fail to find a treatable cause. With a new imaging technique called magnetic resonance neurography, 69% of the patients were found to have a trapped sciatic nerve deep in the buttock by a muscle called the piriformis. It is known that in about 25% of the generalpopulation, thesciaticnervepierces through the piriformis muscle and can be susceptible to abnormal pressure and irritation.
Call IN & Win!
If there are changes in posture, muscle strength or pelvic alignment, the nerve can be compressed which leads to the quite common low back and sciatic nerve pains. Why Does Sciatica Occur? The sciatic nerve is the longest and largest nerve in your body. It even reaches down to the foot and therefore, can be irritated anywhere along its path. With sciatica, the consequent ache can be felt anywhere from the base of the spine, the buttocks or the back of the thigh and legs. Even tingling sensations in the toes can be attributed at times to the impingement of the sciatic nerve.
Find the misspelled word in this newsletter for your chance to win a $10 GIFT CARD Call In & Win Hotline: (740) 325-1120 Misspelled Mania Edition
DRY NEEDLING Valley Rehab Center is now offering dry needling for your aches & pains. We have very high success rates with patients who have experienced dry needling with us! If you are suffering from any chronic pain, have them contact Valley Rehab Center for fast results!
STAND UP TO SCIATICA
Bad Habits Can Increase Your Pain Some seemingly harmless habits can also contribute to the irritation of the sciatic nerve. A frequent bad habit is crossing of the legs for extended periods, which puts pressure on the nerve. In addition, sitting for long periods is bad for your spine. It is possible for you to prevent or relieve sciatica simply by improving your posture. Physical Therapy Relieves Sciatica The specialists at Valley Rehab Center play a crucial role in evaluating and treating sciatica, as well as other common back problems. Our physical therapists are medical experts with years of training to evaluate your back problem, finding the root cause of your sciatica. An individualized treatment plan is created to guide you through the recovery process and maximize your success. When coming to Valley Rehab Center, our friendly and knowledgeable therapistsspend timewithyou.We trainyouonspecificandeasyexercises that will relieve the pain in your back and legs. In addition, our specialized hands-on therapy helps to gently loosen tight musles and joints in your spine and legs. Your pain is quickly relieved and your flexibility restored, so you can feel like yourself again. Our cutting-edge treatments are doctor recommended and are specifically designed for you to reach your healthcare goals.
Knowing all this should give you a headstart in warding off painful sciatica. After all, it may be as simple as learning to stand tall. Journalofneurosurgery:SpineFeb,2005Volume2,Number2.AaronG.Filler,M.D.,Ph.D.,JodeanHaynes,B.A.,Sheldon E.Jordan,M.D.,JoshuaPrager,M.D.,J.PabloVillablanca,M.D.,KeyvanFarahani,Ph.D.,DuncanQ.Mcbride,M.D.,JayS. Tsuruda,M.D.,BrannonMorisoli,B.A.,UlrichBatzdorf,M.D.,andJ.PatrickJohnson,M.D.
Healthy Recipe: SKILLET CHICKEN & PARM PAELLA
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
INGREDIENTS • Whole-wheat dough • Extra-virgin olive oil • Garlic, minced • Onion flakes • Parmesan cheese • Oregano • 1 large tomato, thinly sliced • Low-fat or part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced • Basil
ABDOMINAL BRACING Lie on your back, knees bent, feet flat on floor. Place your hands on the front of your pelvis and contract your deep core. Straighten one knee. Return foot to the starting position. Alternate legs one at a time. Repeat 10 times on both sides. Loosens Low Back www.simpleset.net
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Knead dough to work out any bubbles. Set in a pan greased lightly with olive oil, and press in minced garlic. Lay down a base layer of onion flakes, Parmesan, and oregano. Top with tomatoes and mozzarella (neither has to cover every square inch. Just make sure there’s enough for a few tastes in every slice). Scatter basil on top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until bottom starts to turn a golden brown.
www.valley rehabcenterbellaire.com CALL TODAY! (740) 325-1120
Think Valley Rehab Center FIRST
Patient Success Spotlight
Why You Need To Come Back In For A Tune- Up: � Move without pain
“When I started physical therapy, I suffered from lower back pain. After receiving therapy from Valley Rehab Center, my back pain has improved tremendously!” - Robert T. My back pain has improved!
� Sit for long periods comfortably
� Bend and move freely � Balance confidently and securely
� Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle
Take Care of Your Aches and Pains Before It’s Too Late.
Healthe Habits For Living
FREE WORKSHOP The Low Back Pain and Sciatica workshop will be held Wednesday, October 11th at 6:00 pm at our clinic. The first 5 people to register and attend will receive an additional FREE back pain consultation. ATTENTION BACK PAIN SUFFERERS!
ThebenefitsofHHLare limitless; there are so many perks that are included with our program: • Non Intimidating, Safe, and Therapeutic Environment • One on One visits with a Physical Therapist specializing in chronic diseases.
• Physical Function, Nutrition, and Lifestyle Evaluations • Therapeutic Exercise Plans Created for Each Client • On-going Communication with your Physician • Monthly Healthē Tips Newsletters from Our Team
Call 740-325-1120 today to register as only 20 seats are available.
Medically Supervised Weight Loss Program A special plan that incorporates the latest nutritional information with strategies to manage your weight, a medically supervised fitness program designed just for you and education in stress management techniques. You will meet with your physical therapist 2-3 times a week for instruction and completion of your exercise program. if you have issues in addition to your sciatica or back pain, like high blood pressure or diabetes, call for an appointment. For more information and tips on healthy habits, go to www.healthehabitsforliving.com.
3609 Belmont St Bellaire, OH 43906 P : 740.325.1120 F : 740.325.1743Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs