National University 2018 General Catalog

program requirements. An official audit of program requirements is conducted by the Office of the Registrar when a student applies for graduation. Applications for financial aid cannot be processed until evaluation has occurred. Federal regulations require the University to determine the appropriate grade level for funding purposes. SOURCES OF CREDIT Transfer Credit National University accepts credits from regionally accredited institutions. It may also accept credits from institutions that are accredited by an agency which is a member of Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), provided that the academic quality of the institutions can be verified and the credits otherwise comply with National University guidelines. National University may also accept credits from collegiate institutions which are accredited by non-CHEA member agencies provided they are recognized by the Department of Education. In either case, the below process must be followed to request transfer credit consideration. Transfer of credits from agencies which are not CHEA members are subject to additional scrutiny to validate their academic programs adhere to the standards of institutions accredited by CHEA members. Credits transferred from collegiate institutions will only be accepted if they apply to the student’s degree or certificate program and if they are comparable in nature, content, and level of credit to similar coursework offered by National University. Transfer students must have been in good standing and eligible to return to the last institution in which they were enrolled. Remedial college credits do not meet collegiate standards and will not be accepted as transfer credits by National University. National University makes transfer credit decisions based upon its assessment of the collegiate institution and the circumstances and performance of the student. For students transferring from non-regionally accredited institutions, National University may accept fewer transfer credits, require the student to have earned minimum grades, or accept transfer credit on a provisional basis to be validated by satisfactory coursework in residence. Under no circumstances will National University accept transfer credit for a course in which the student earned a “D+” or lower grade. The maximum transfer credit allowed for an Associate’s degree is 58.5 quarter units. The maximum allowed for a Bachelor’s degree is 135 quarter units. Requests for Transfer Credit Consideration Any student who would like to request consideration of non-regionally accredited coursework must submit the following by completing a policy exception e-form (available on the Student Portal). • Institution’s catalog for the years the student attended • Listing of what courses the student would like to use in transfer, including direct course equivalencies whenever possible. • Petition letter outlining student’s request It is recommended that the student work with an admissions advisor for assistance. Collegiate The maximum number of collegiate lower-division credits acceptable for transfer to an associate degree program is 58.5 quarter units (39 semester units). For a baccalaureate degree program, no more than 103.5 lower-division quarter units (69 semester units) are allowed. The maximum number of upper-division collegiate credits acceptable for transfer is 40.5 quarter units (27 semester units). A total of 36 quarter units (24 semester units) may be accepted from the extension division of a regionally accredited university. In either case, only credits accepted by the previous institution toward degree requirements are transferable. The maximum credit allowed in transfer for vocational/technical courses is 18 quarter units (12 semester units). The maximum credit allowed in transfer for physical education is 9 quarter units (6 semester units). Prior Learning Credit Transfer National University recognizes knowledge is acquired in many different ways. In addition to the traditional classroom setting, mastery of college-level knowledge and skills may occur as a result of nontraditional learning experiences such as employment, military training and experience, non-collegiate training programs,

advanced high school courses, and self-development. The University awards applicable credits earned for nontraditional prior learning, however, credit is not awarded simply for experience but for measurable college-level learning which includes knowledge, skills and competencies students have obtained as a result of their prior learning experiences. College credit may be granted on a case-by-case basis for prior learning only when it can be documented and falls within regular credit course offerings. The maximum number of credits acceptable for non- collegiate learning is 58.5 quarter units (39 semester units) for an associate degree or a cumulative total of 67.5 quarter units (45 semester units) for a baccalaureate degree. This maximum total is cumulative of all non-collegiate coursework. The credits may be from the following sources: • A maximum of 67.5 quarter units (45 semester units) may be earned at the lower-division by College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations • A maximum of 45 quarter units (30 semester units) may be earned at the lower-division level for Advanced Placement Examinations (AP) or International Baccalaureate Examinations (IB) • A maximum of 22.5 quarter units (15 semester units) may be earned for: » » DANTES independent study/credit by examination courses » » Excelsior College Examinations » » Council for Adult Experiential Learning (CAEL) Portfolio » » Credit recommended in the National Guide to Credit Recommendations for Non-Collegiate Courses (American Council on Education [ACE]) » » Local, state, and federal law enforcement training recommended by ACE and such credit as is listed on a transcript from a regionally accredited college » » Departmental examinations at National University (Credit by Examination) • A maximum of 45 quarter units (30 semester units) may be allowed for military experience and military schools that have been evaluated by ACE. An additional 9 quarter units of correspondence credit is available to active or veteran Marine Corps students. • A maximum of 45 quarter units (30 semester units) of lower-division credit may be allowed for clinical courses for a registered nurse who is a graduate of a three-year hospital nursing school. Up to 22.5 quarter units (15 semester units) of additional lower-division credit may be granted for academically equivalent coursework. College Level Examination Program (CLEP) The University awards credit for successful completion of CLEP subject examinations. CLEP examination credit can be applied to meet general education, preparation for the major or general lower-division elective credit. National University awards credit for CLEP examinations in accordance with published American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines. The ACE guidelines provide a minimum score required as well as a recommendation on the amount of transfer credit that may be applied. In order to receive credit for CLEP examinations, an official CLEP transcript must be received by the Office of the Registrar. CLEP information can be found at the College Board website: clep. The total number of units awarded for CLEP exams cannot exceed 67.5 quarter units (45 semester units) towards a bachelor’s degree. For information on testing sites contact the Testing Center at 858.541.7951 or Students who have taken a CLEP general examination prior to 2002 may use the credit towards general education requirements, as it applies, up to a maximum of 27 quarter units or 18 semester hours. National University does not accept transfer credits for the mathematics general CLEP examination. Advanced Placement (AP) Exams National University awards college credit, as recommended by ACE, for AP exams passed with a score of 3, 4, or 5. An official transcript must be received in order for credit to be awarded. Further information on the AP Exams can be found at Credits from the AP Exams will transfer as outlined in the chart. The AP Code for National University is 0470. International Baccalaureate (IB) National University awards college credit to students who successfully obtain the International Baccalaureate Diploma demonstrating the completion of Higher


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online