COOL RENEW REVIEW
1811 KUNTZ ROAD, ERIE, PA 16509 WWW.COOLRENEWMEDSPA.COM 814-864-9969
A THANK-YOU TO MY DAD And All the Dads out There
I n the past two editions of this newsletter, I’ve talked about some of the people who have greatly influenced my life and, in particular, about the ways my mother influenced who I became. Father’s Day is on June 21, and while I’ve already described how my father influenced me as a businessman, that’s not the only way my father impacted my life. Even though he’s been gone for 10 years, I can still hear his voice in my head. My dad was a business owner for most of my life growing up. Something always needed to be done at his store, so he put me to work whenever possible. Some of my earliest lessons about entrepreneurship came from my dad making me do odd jobs.
were to be seen and not heard. So whenever my dad had his friends over, I sat in on their conversations and just listened. Even though I wasn’t saying much, I still learned a lot about how to communicate well with people. At his core, my dad was a salesperson, and people buy from people they like and trust. I like to think our customers come to Cool Renew MedSpa for similar reasons, and hopefully, I passed on those people skills to my own son.
attorney’s office — pretty different from the life of a businessman, like me and my dad!
Nevertheless, the people skills he inherited transcend career paths. Plus, in a year or two, he might go into private practice and need to know how to get customers through his door like any other business. I’ve got no doubt that whenever he decides to start his private practice, he’ll be incredibly successful. Fathers play important roles in our families and our communities, and we want to acknowledge that in our office. At Cool Renew MedSpa, men, many of whom are fathers, make up around 30% of our clientele. That’s why we created our office’s “Man Cave” — a waiting room just for the guys. It has TVs, comfy chairs, and a fridge fully stocked with all your favorite beers, wines, and spirits. If you’re a father and you’re reading this, we hope that whatever you’re doing this Father’s Day, you feel loved and appreciated by your family — today and every other day of the year.
It’s funny — the older you get, the more I think you turn into your parents without really meaning to. Whether it’s how I conduct myself or how I raised my own son, a lot of my actions mirror my dad’s in similar situations. My son is 31 years old now, and he’s a prosecuting attorney in the district “It’s funny — the older you get, the more I think you turn into your parents without really meaning to.”
More than that, though, I owe my people skills to my dad. I grew up in an era when children
– Grant Miller
814-864-9969 • 1
Keep Your Brain Young
3 TIPS FOR GOOD BRAIN HEALTH FROM HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL
2. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR MENTAL HEALTH. Poor mental health can lead to impaired cognitive function. Chronic anxiety, depression, and exhaustion tend to cause low scores on cognitive function tests. But test scores aren’t necessarily a sign of future cognitive decline, and Harvard Health Publishing urges readers to maintain good mental health and get restful sleep, as they are “certainly important goals” for improving cognitive function and overall well-being. 3. STAY CONNECTED. It’s not enough to focus on yourself. In order to maintain your long-term cognitive health, you should also focus on your connections with other people. According to Harvard Health Publishing, “Strong social ties have been associated with a lower risk of dementia, as well as lower blood pressure and longer life expectancy.” Make new friends, stay in touch with family members, and maintain positive relationships in your life. They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This is certainly true when it comes to your brain health. Do what you can today to protect your mental functions tomorrow.
As we age, our bodies change, including our mental functions. Cognitive decline is one of the biggest fears of aging, but it’s not inevitable. Though we’re still learning new things about how our brains work,
there’s a lot of scientific research that shows how to keep your brain young. If you want to keep your mind sharp throughout your lifetime, then follow this advice from Harvard Medical School.
1. GET A GOOD WORKOUT. Exercising regularly helps all the muscles and organs in your body, even your brain! A good workout can lower your blood pressure and improve your cholesterol levels, which help your brain and your heart. Harvard Health Publishing, a website of Harvard Medical School, also notes that “animals who exercise regularly increase the number of tiny blood vessels that bring oxygen-rich blood to the region of the brain that is responsible for thought.”
With This Simple Procedure DEFEAT THE DAD BOD
Most of you have probably heard the term “dad bod” and know one when you see one. Characterized by an extended gut that gets in the way of any abs that might lie beneath, this body type is synonymous with fatherhood. While some dads might be fine with the “dad bod,” that doesn’t mean every dad has to be okay with it. We work with a lot of dads who want to stay in good shape, and we plan their diets and exercise routines accordingly. Maybe because of genetics or some other reason, some guys just can’t seem to get those defined abs they work so hard to achieve. If that’s the case for you, don’t worry! With Emsculpting, you won’t have to embrace the dad bod.
If you haven’t heard of Emsculpting, let’s do a quick rundown of what it is and why you should seriously consider it as the final step toward the abs (and butt) you’ve always wanted. Essentially, it’s a treatment that works out your abs for you by using electromagnetic pulses to produce high- intensity muscle contractions in rapid succession. In just one 30-minute session, Emsculpt can induce the equivalent of 20,000 crunches in your abdominal muscles. This essentially speeds up the process of burning belly fat, since every time your abs contract, they release epinephrine, a chemical that breaks down fat. Emsculpt can actually reduce fat by 19%. That’s not all, though — the procedure also builds up your muscles, increasing density by as much as 16%! Before scheduling an appointment, keep a few things in mind. First, it usually takes four Emsculpt treatments for the best results. Second, this procedure is meant to be a supplement for a proper diet and exercise, not a substitute for it. Don’t settle for the dad bod — schedule an Emsculpting appointment today at Cool Renew MedSpa by calling 814-864-9969.
2 • WWW.COOLRENEWMEDSPA.COM
3 ARTICLES OF CLOTHING You Should Not Wear to Your Next Pedicure
CLOSED-TOE SHOES You wouldn’t get a great pedicure only to ruin it before you show it off — but that’s exactly what’s going to happen if you wear closed-toe shoes to your salon. It typically takes 10–12 hours for the polish on your toes to fully dry unless you want it dented or smeared. So take advantage of the warm summer weather and wear some sandals or flip-flops instead! DRESSES AND SKIRTS The problem with wearing a dress or a skirt to a pedicure isn’t so much about making the pedicure process easier as it is about making the pedicurist more comfortable working below you. Depending on the length and cut of your dress, consider a pair of shorts instead before heading out the door and to the salon. You can always put on that dress to match your nails later!
As summer starts up in earnest, the time to get that pedicure you’ve been waiting so long for is finally here! As it is the season of flip-flops and sandals and lounging by the pool, showing off your perfectly painted toes is in order. However, before you head to your appointment at your favorite salon, make sure you have the right attire to not only make the pedicure easy on your pedicurist but also on yourself. Here are three articles of clothing to avoid wearing to your next pedicure appointment. SKINNY JEANS They may look good, but they can be a nightmare for pedicurists simply because they’re hard to roll up. If you can’t roll up your pant legs, you rob yourself of the full pedicure experience, which usually includes a leg massage and hot towel wrap. If you want to ensure you get the best, all- inclusive pedicure offered, wear something that makes your feet and lower legs easy to access.
WITH TURMERIC OIL Watermelon and Tomato Salad
BREAK Take a
Inspired by BonAppetit.com
This light summer salad is packed with flavor and color!
• • • • •
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
1 tsp peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1 tsp coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
• 4 cups seedless watermelon, diced into 1/2-inch pieces • 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces • 8 oz mild feta, diced into 1/2-inch pieces • Flaked sea salt
1. In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and turmeric for about 3 minutes or until fragrant. Let cool slightly but do not let coconut oil solidify.
2. In a large bowl, place diced watermelon, tomatoes, and feta. Drizzle with oil mixture and finish with a dash or two of salt.
814-864-9969 • 3
PRST STD US POSTAGE PAID BOISE, ID PERMIT 411
1811 KUNTZ ROAD, ERIE, PA 16509 WWW.COOLRENEWMEDSPA.COM 814-864-9969
A Thank-You to My Dad and All the Dads out There Inside This Issue
1 2 2 3 3 4
Harvard’s Tips to Keep Your Brain Young
Defeat the Dad Bod With This Simple Procedure
What Not to Wear to Your Next Pedicure
Watermelon and Tomato Salad With Turmeric Oil
4 Online Makeup Shopping Tips You Need
DON’T GET STUCK WITH JUNK MAKEUP! 4 Ways to Avoid Scams and Find Your Perfect Products Online
2. REFERENCE YOUR CURRENT MAKEUP. In the quest for your perfect shade, your best allies are the products you already own. Check out your current foundation to see if it’s marked for skin tone. C means cool, Wmeans warm, N means neutral, and the paired number accounts for lightness. When shopping online, look for those same identifiers. Descriptions can be helpful too! If your favorite lipstick is “mauve,” look for that term while you shop. 3. LOOK FOR REVIEWS ON THE WIDER WEB. Reviews can clue you in to the authenticity, quality, and color of a product, but make sure you leave the brand website to read them! Plenty of brand website reviews are helpful, but sometimes they can be curated, and you’re guaranteed to find more realistic takes on the wider web. For the best peek behind the curtain, check out video tutorials from beauty influencers who are using the products you’re interested in. 4. SAMPLE, SAMPLE, SAMPLE. Last but not least, always check if the website you’re buying from mails samples. These are usually a fraction of the cost of the full product, and although waiting for them slows down the buying process, it saves you money in the long run.
Makeup stores stacked from floor to ceiling with foundation, lipstick, and eye shadow can be overwhelming — with 1,000 shades to choose from, where do you start? Add in a pushy salesperson hovering at your shoulder and you might feel the urge to run for the exit. Faced with this reality, it’s no wonder people are choosing to shop online for their perfect makeup looks. However, online shopping has its own pitfalls: Bootleg makeup abounds, and it’s tricky to find the perfect shade when you can’t color match in person. To solve that problem, we’ve rounded up our top four shopping tips.
STICK TO BRAND WEBSITES. The biggest challenge of shopping for makeup online is avoiding counterfeit products. These knockoffs are poor quality, and they can even be health hazards. According to Refinery29, tests have found carcinogens, human feces, and even horse urine in faux products — yikes! To avoid this problem, skip eBay, Amazon, and other “bargain” sites and go straight to the source: the website of the brand you love.
4 • WWW.COOLRENEWMEDSPA.COMPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs