Namibia Road Trip - 2018

as he worked his way into the feast and grabbed his own large portion. She did not swat at him or warn him away.

In the distance we could hear other lions roaring but we were told that they would not enter the compound that night. The different prides are fed every other night. The staff insisted that these were wild lions who also did their own hunting — not just relying on the human offerings. What we could never understand is how these lions remained wild or how the Lodge could feed lions every night and still maintain their own stock of 8000 wild creatures on the preserve. Despite my misgivings about this process, and aided by a bit of hypocrisy I suppose, I totally enjoyed the spectacle and the experience. We had to leave Mt. Etjo the following morning to begin our drive to Etosha National Park which was about 277 miles further north. If we could have stayed a day longer, we probably would have paid for an advertised cheetah feeding despite our misgivings about the appropriateness of the activity. HOBATERE BUSH CAMP The highway north to the Galton Gate Entrance of Etosha National Park was tarred and we made good time. We stopped at the one of the many designated picnic sites along the highway and ate our peanut butter, jelly and potato chip sandwiches along with bottled water we had purchased back in Windhoek. A necessary word about our lunch provisions. Because we were under the impression that lunch would rarely be provided at the safari camps, we stopped at a supermarket in Windhoek on the way out of town. We knew what we wanted but not where in the store to find it. A very nice young Namibian man came to our rescue and helped us find everything we needed. He included big black garbage bags he said we’d need to wrap up our luggage. The luggage was to be carried in the covered bed of the truck. Covered it was – but on the gravel roads, sand dust and grit got into the bed and covered everything. The luggage stayed clean in the trash bags. By now we realized that we were not on this journey alone. There were many other rental trucks moving along with us. Our only tiny scare here was that the first place we stopped for gas had none. We had about a quarter of a tank left and quickly surmised the next station was close enough (50 miles) to reach with our present supply. And that turned out to be true. We found the Galton Gate and registered for a 4-day entry pass to the Park. Later we paid the fee at the administrative offices in the town of Okaukuejo. The gravel road into Hobatere Reserve was 10 miles long but we enjoyed it anyway because there were many different things

Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker