CWU Response to Sexual Misconduct Handbook

Contacting Law Enforcement

CWU Centers-Local Law Enforcement and Legal Intervention Resources

Any University community member that has experienced sexual misconduct has various options regarding contacting law enforcement: 1. You can choose not to notify law enforcement. You can utilize any of the confidential resources on pages 6-7 if you are unsure about whether to report to law enforcement and want to learn more. 2. You can utilize any of the confidential or non-confidential resources on pages 6-8 to receive assistance in notifying appropriate law enforcement agencies. If you choose to notify appropriate law enforcement agencies, a university or community confidential advocate can be present for support during any meetings with law enforcement. 3. You can also contact the law enforcement agencies listed below to report sexual misconduct, anonymously or formally, and may be directed to another law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the incident. Jurisdiction is dependent upon where an incident occurred and/or where the involved parties reside. The law enforcement agency may provide you with University or local resources following your report. University Police and Public Safety stands by their Sexual Assault Response Commitment when working with members of the University community reporting sexual misconduct. University Police and Public Safety, as well as other law enforcement agencies, will provide the option to have a victim advocate respond to provide support as well as additional information about victim rights and resources. For more information about assistance in making a report to law enforcement, contact University Police and Public Safety and/or P.A.T.H. in the Wellness Center. If you choose to file a police report, the officer will ask for detailed information about the sexual misconduct being reported, including but not limited to a written statement and information about any other involved party/parties. If the officer is aware that the reporting party is a member of the University community, a formal report may also be submitted to the Title IX Coordinator if appropriate. Any member of the University community may file a complaint with local law enforcement agencies by dialing 911 or by contacting their local law enforcement directly, especially in instances of immediate threat or danger.

Protective and No-Contact Orders In Washington State, courts issue a variety of protective and no-contact orders to increase protections for people affected by different forms of violence. An example of this is a civil protection order, issued by an individual’s request (petitioner) who has experienced domestic or dating violence by an identified respondent. Protective and no-contact orders may require an individual to abstain from all types of contact with the petitioner and can include the requirement that the respondent stay a specific distance away from the petitioner, or not be allowed to enter a petitioner’s residence, school, workplace, etc. There are also orders that cover sexual assault, stalking, harassment, and pending criminal investigations. For more information about the types of court-issued orders available, and for assistance with the process of obtaining a court-issued order, please contact P.A.T.H. in the Wellness Center, ASPEN, or your local victim advocacy services. University community members who have active, temporary, or permanent protective or no- contact orders through the court can receive assistance by contacting University Police or Public Safety as well as their local law enforcement agency and providing the agency with a copy of the order. University Issued No-Contact Orders Civil Rights Compliance and/or the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities can help facilitate a no-contact order for members of the University community, if both parties are affiliated with the University. A no-contact order is a University order that prohibits any and all forms of communication between the involved parties, including but not limited to purposefully going to places/locations where the other involved party frequents, phone and electronic communication, and contact through third parties. Please contact your local law enforcement, as well as your local information line or crisis line, for resources and assistance specific to your area. If you need assistance finding or understanding local resources specific reporting to law enforcement and/or legal intervention, please contact University Police and Public Safety and/or P.A.T.H. in the Wellness Center.

University Police and Public Safety 1211 N Wildcat Way CWU Ellensburg Campus 509-963-2959 Emergency - 911 After Hours Non-Emergency - 509-925-8534

Ellensburg Police Department 100 N. Pearl St., Ellensburg

509-962-7280 Emergency- 911

Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office 307 W. Umptanum Rd., Ellensburg

509-962-7525 Emergency- 911



Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs