New York State College for Teachers at Buffalo, 1871-1946

CooRDINATION OF STATE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION AND TEACHER EDUCATION IN the early 192o's it became apparent that the State Normal Schools were not receiving adequate attention in the State Edu– cation Department. This group of teacher-training institutions constituted only a part of one of the existing divisions of the State Education Department. On the special recommendation of two members of the Board of Regents, one of whom was Regent Adel– bert Moot of Buffalo, a special position was set up and Dr. Ned H. Dearborn was appointed to care for the certification of teach– ers and make the supervision of the Normal Schools one of his major responsibilities. Dr. Dearborn resigned this position in 1930 and, after brief tenures by Drs. Magee and Ward, Dr. Hermann Cooper succeeded to this responsibility and was later officially designated as Assistant Commissioner for Teacher Edu– c.ation. Under Dr. Cooper's vigorous leadership, a closer coordina– tion of the State Education Department and the teacher-training institutions has been conspicuously achieved. In the transforma– tion of the nine Normal Schools into Teachers Colleges, the intro– duction of a new teacher-training curriculum, the advancement of the post-war building plans including dormitories, and the exten– sion and upgrading of faculties, Dr. Cooper's influence and leader– ship have been a decisive factor. THE EXPANDING COLLEGE THE close proximity of the new college to the Buffalo School ot Fine Arts located on Elmwood Avenue and affiliated with the Albright Art Gallery gave point to the inauguration of an Art Education Department. This new special department was estab– lished in September 1930, at which time the Regents approved the transfer of the Art Department from the Fredonia State Normal School and the Potsdam State Normal School. Such transfers, however, were in name only and included no equipment or faculty members. This special department for the training of Art teachers, the only one maintained under state auspices, has flourished since its inception. Since affiliation with the Art School in 1937, students pursue their technical work ..,in art half of each day in freshman, sophomore and junior years at the Art School, covering their content courses, professional requirements and practice teaching at the State Teachers College. Mr. Charles B. 74

Bradley has been Head of the Art Education Department since its organization. Since Mr. Bradley retired in June 1946, Dr. Stanley A. Czurles succeeded to the headship in September 1946. Special emphasis on the preparation of teachers for rural schools seemed essential since a fair proportion of graduates have taken teaching positions in these schools. Accordingly in September 1933, Dr. Kate V. Wofford, Professor of Rural Education, joined the faculty and has succeeded in extending the practice teaching facilities into approximately thirty rural schools within a radius of twenty-five miles of the college. For many years, practice teaching facilities were conducted in affiliation with the old Nor– mal School in Public School No. 38. When the college transferred to the new campus, School No. 52 was made the off-campus training center. This center, together with the rural school ac– commodations and the campus School of Practice, constitutes a unique combination of practice teaching facilities for students in training. In 1933, a spacious allotment of ground was made for an athletic field in the northwestern section of the campus. This area, however, will be occupied by the Library, one of the proposed new buildings. THE COLLEGE IN THE PERIODS OF DEPRESSION, READJUSTMENT AND WORLD WAR II THE years of the middle 193o's were difficult. The college weath– ered the Depression very successfully because the resources of the State of New York were behind it. During this period, the Federal Government gave needed help to the college by extending· the privileges of NYA participation, a branch of the Emergency Col– lege, known as Buffalo Collegiate Center, also functioned under Federal auspices for several years. The rapidly changing economic scene brought large numbers of applicants for admission. In fact, a regular selective admission program was set up and the number of students accepted for the freshman class was limited to approxi– mately 300. During these years, the number of applicants ap– proached 600 or 800 in number but the total registration of the college was definitely fixed at 1,000 by the State Education De– partment, a number which seemed to produce Buffalo's quota of teachers needed in the State of New York in various departments. As changes in the faculty occurred, qualifications were stepped up. The doctor's degree, which at one time was not considered 75

..

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker