Your guide to civil ceremonies in Argyll and Bute

Frequently asked questions

Ricky Baillie Photography

office in Scotland or downloaded from uk/marriage/ or the National Records of Scotland website at Can we have photographs taken and a film recording of our ceremony? Yes, we want you to be able to capture these special moments forever. We will advise on any restrictions if there are any. Can we throw confetti? Confetti can be used, but only outside the building. Please remind your guests to dispose of empty boxes carefully. What other ceremonies do you offer? Our Registrars can also do Civil Partnerships; Renewal of Vows and Naming Ceremonies.

How many guests are able to attend the ceremony? Every ceremony room varies in size, they can hold between four and 80 guests but we would be happy to advise you on the accommodation available. Can you provide witnesses? Both witnesses need to be over the age of 16. For the couples who want to steal themselves away for an elopement wedding, we may be able to provide you with witnesses if your ceremony is due to take place Monday to Friday. This will of course be discussed before your special day. What time/days of the week do you conduct ceremonies? Ceremonies are carried out Monday to Saturday during times set by the local registrar. If you have special requirements, please discuss these with us and we will look at the options available.

Do we have to have wedding rings?

No, you do not need to have rings. Be assured that this does not affect the validity of your marriage at all. You may wish to exchange gifts as another idea. If we are getting married outside, what happens if it’s raining on the day? When you are booking your ceremony, you must have a wet weather alternative in case of poor conditions. Are there any residential qualifications to be married in Scotland and what documents do we need when we are submitting notice forms? No, there are no residential qualifications for getting married in Scotland. There are legal requirements that we will explain to you beforehand. You can also find these on form RM1 which is available from any registrar’s


Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker