HEALTH & WELLNESS The Newsletter About Your Health and Caring for Your Body
BACK PAIN RECOVERY IS HERE YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE AGAIN
HEALTH & WELLNESS The Newsletter About Your Health and Caring for Your Body
INSIDE: Back Pain Prevention • Meet Our Team • Featured Service • What Patients Are Saying • Exercise Essentials • Clinic News
Back pain can hinder your day-to-day activities. Left untreated, it can even lead to long-term joint, spine and nerve damage. As one of the most common physical complaints, over 80 percent of the U.S. population will suffer from it at some point in their lifetime. The pain itself can hinder your ability to reach, lean, kneel, lift or bend. It can also hinder your time spent with friends and family. Direct pain aside, minor aches and cramps associated with a back pain problem can make you irritable—ruining your good time. What Causes Back Pain? A few things cause back pain. The American Physical Therapy Association covers each of these, but the following are leading causes: BACK PAIN RECOVERY IS HERE YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE AGAIN
• Poor abdominal, pelvic and back muscle coordination Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t seek treatment when back pain arises. Before they know it, they have a big problem. They might assume nothing—except for medication—can solve their back pain. Medication might mask the pain, but it won’t cure the problem’s root cause and can lead to adverse side effects and addiction if abused. Back Pain Solutions You’re in luck: Back pain can be cured! The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke covers a number of back pain remedies. These include the use of strength exercise, physical therapy and medication. Where medication is considered, anti-inflammatory drugs, analgesic medications and counter-irritants are the most popular. Before you can treat your back pain, however, you need to know why it started. Whether you’ve tweaked a muscle or have a deeper injury, a spine specialist can help. Have back pain that just won’t go away? We want to help! Call us www.trademarkpc.com or visit us online at www.trademarkpc.com.
• Spinal and abdominal muscle weaknesses • Bad posture and bad sleeping positions • Spinal muscle and tissue damage • Improper lifting form • Limited hip, spine and thigh muscle flexibility
BACK PAIN PREVENTION S I MP L E S O LU T I ON S F O R A L I F E F R E E F ROM PA I N
A little prevention goes a long way. If you want to avoid future back pain, you can make sure you’re being good to your back. Lift Properly You pick things up constantly. Even if you’re lifting something light, make sure you’re first facing the object and standing as close as possible. Then squat while keeping your spine straight. Lift with your leg muscles, as this will reduce the pressure placed on your spine. Use Good Posture When you’re standing, imagine a string is attached to the top of your head—lifting you up. This will keep your hips, spine, shoulders and neck aligned. If you’re sitting, don’t slouch. Use Strength Training Yourbodyhashundredsofmuscles.Thesemusclesprotectandcontrol your spine. By lifting weights, running and swimming, you can keep them strong. Train your core muscles. In doing so, you’ll easily control quick, lifting movements. Itneverhurtstovisitaphysicaltherapist,either.Getregularcheck-ups, andmakesureyourbody is ingoodcondition. Ifyouhaveahistoryofback injuries, pain or minor aches, don’t hesitate to talk to a professional. You deserve a pain-free life, and your back will thank you. Take charge of your back pain by calling us (Leesburg: 703- 794-5581, Lansdowne: 703-794-5587) or visiting our website at www.www.trademarkpc.com. Take charge of your back pain by calling us 219.319.0110 or by visiting our website at www.trademarkpc.com. We can help get your life back.
Sources: www.apta.org•www.acatoday.org/Patients/Health-Wellness-Information/ Back-Pain-Facts-and-Statistics•www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver- Education/Fact-Sheets/Low-Back-Pain-Fact-Sheet
STRAWBERRY/CHOCOLATE GREEK YOGURT BARK
MEET OUR TEAM: T INA MASSEY, NSCA-CPT
INGREDIENTS • 3 cups whole-milk plain Greek yogurt • ¼ cup pure maple syrup or honey
Tina is a personal trainer, certified by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). She designs personalizedtrainingprograms forclientsof allagesthatcatertotheirgoalsandabilities. Sheholdsadegree inExerciseScience from Trinity Christian College, where she was a member of the NCCAA National Champion volleyball team.She iscurrentlyavolleyball coach at South Suburban College and has been coaching youth club volleyball for 7 years.
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract • 1½ cups sliced strawberries • ¼ cup mini chocolate chips DIRECTIONS
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir yogurt, maple syrup (or honey) and vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread on the prepared baking sheet into a 10-by-15-inch rectangle.Scatter thestrawberrieson topand sprinklewithchocolatechips.Freezeuntilvery firm, at least 3 hours. To serve, cut or break into32pieces.Tomakeahead:Freezeairtight betweensheetsofparchmentforupto1month; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. Equipment: Parchment paper
YOU CAN BE FREE OF YOUR BACK PAIN! CALL TODAY OR VISIT US AT WWW.TRADEMARKPC.COM
TM WELLNESS FEATURED SERVICE TM Wellness is our nutrition and fitness brand housed within our facilities that is designed, developed, and backed by physical therapists, certified athletic trainers and performance enhancement specialists.
• McKenzie Method • Myofascial Release • Personal Training • Therapeutic Exercise • Vestibular Therapy • Wellness Program • Ergonomics
• ACL Injury Prevention Program • Advanced Functional Science • Athletic Training • Electrical Stimulation • Graston Technique • Kinesio Taping • Laser Therapy • Manual Therapy
Call Trademark Performance 219.319.0110 and find out how TM Wellness can benefit you.
WHAT PATIENTS ARE SAYING
Keep up with your physical therapy exercises to relieve pain and prevent further injuries. If your pain doesn’t subside, consult with your therapist about what other things might be causing pain. Call Trademark Performance for a complimentary injury consultation. We will guide you so you can get back to the activities you love. HAS YOUR PA I N COME BACK? 1 2 3 CLINIC NEWS • WE HAVE A NEW INDIANA LOCATION Check out our new location in Dyer, IN immediately behind Pop’s on the north side of Highway 30.
I came to Trademark because I have hadanklepain fora fewmonths. Iwas
unable torunor jumpdue topainwhen Istarted treatment. Dave helped me move better in just onephysical therapyvisit.He isverycaringand attentive. I am now able to move normally with no restrictions, and enjoy life once again.
- Cailey D.
EXERC I SE ESSENT I AL S USE THIS EXERCISE TO STRENGTHEN BACK MUSCLES
1427 Joliet St. Unit C Dyer, IN 46311 219.319.0110
Bird Dog 4-Point Arm & Leg Raise Begin by placing your knees and hands on the floor, with your hips and shoulders at a 90° angle. While keeping stable and engaging your core muscles, lift one arm and an opposite leg straight out toward the horizon, with your thumb pointed to the ceiling. Place both arm and leg back down to starting position. Perform 10 repetitions and then repeat this exercise with the opposite arm and leg. To build stability, this exercise can first be performed using only the arm or leg, and the opposing arm or leg can be added once ready for progression.
Always consult your physical therapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online