Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
Getting To Know The Kewanee PT &Rehab Specialists Staff! ASHLEY EGAN, MS, OTR/L
Ashley is a board certified Occupational Therapist who graduated with her Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy from St. Ambrose University in July of 2013. She received her Bachelor’s degree in Health Science from Bradley University in 2009. Ashley’s experience areas include industrial medicine, acute care, outpatient, pediatrics, schools, mental health and inpatient rehabilitation. Ashley has worked for Kewanee Physical Therapy and Rehab Specialists since 2005 and has gained first-hand experience in all aspects of the business. She enjoys working as an Occupational Therapist where she is able to bring all her knowledge and experience together to give back to the communities in which she was born and raised. Ashley, her husband Eric and their two sons Aden and Eli currently reside in a country home near Annawan. She was born and raised on a farm in Stark County and has been actively involved in agriculture and outdoor living all her life. She enjoys baking, cooking, gardening and just enjoying time her with family and friends.
WILL YOUR BACK HURT AS YOU GET OLDER?
If you think that growing older automatically leads to back pain, here’s some great news; it doesn’t! Many people suffer from pain, yet, they still believe their aches and pains are a natural part of aging. They’re not. Back pain is primarily caused by four main factors:
• Spinal muscle weakness • Poor muscle or joint movement • Poor posture • Lack of spinal or pelvic muscle coordination
Treating the Cause of Your Back Pain The goal of our SPINE program is to find the root cause of your pain and correct it, not just treat the symptoms. By treating the root cause of the pain, you can achieve faster, long-lasting results. We provide the most advanced and effective treatments to each of our patients in a caring, friendly environment. Our highly trained and skilled physical therapists use proven hands-on therapy techniques to help people of all ages become free of pain and get back to the activities they enjoy. If your back pain prevents you from standing for long periods, bending down to pick up objects, or getting up and down from the floor to play with your children or grandchildren it’s time to come to Kewanee Physical Therapy & Rehab Specialists to restore your quality of life. Knowing the Right Expert to Help You Physical Therapists are medical musculoskeletal specialists, meaning we are the experts when it comes to the movement of the body and how the muscles, joints and skeletal structure work with one another.
Effective physical therapy experts recognize that the best treatments are not modalities that depend solely on ultrasound, cold or heat therapy, but rather a skilled hands-on approach to examination and treatment. Studies have proven that manual therapy and specific exercises produce better and faster results than traditional exercise-based therapy. If you are suffering with back pain or know someone who is, call us today to discover how we can finally help you become pain free and get back to the activities you enjoy. After all, you’re as young as you feel! Find out more about our programs by calling us today and discover how to relieve and reduce back pain.
Call us today to schedule an appointment!
Eating Right Never Tasted So Good!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ingredients • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil • 1 small onion, diced • 2 tablespoons minced garlic • 2 jalapeños, finely diced
• One 14.5-ounce can black beans, • 3 chicken breasts, boneless • 2 limes • Salt & black pepper • 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves • One 8-inch flour tortilla • 1 avocado, sliced • 1 cup shredded Monterrey cheese
• 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth • One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
Directions In a large saucepan heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Once the onions have softened add the garlic and jalapeños and cook for another minute. Pour the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans into the pot and bring to a boil. Once at a boil lower heat to simmer and add your chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes. Once chicken is cooked remove from pot. When cool enough to handle shred it and set it aside. Add lime juice and fresh cilantro to the pot. In a serving bowl add a mound of shredded chicken. Ladle soup over chicken and top with a lime wedge, grilled tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.
KEWANEE (309) 852-2200
GALVA (309) 932-8100
STARK COUNTY (309) 695-4010
Patient Success Spotlight
30 Second Self Test For Back Pain While lying or sitting, raise up your leg with a straight knee. Keep the opposite knee bent with the foot planted to the ground. Repeat 6 times on both sides. What it does: The straight leg raise exercise is good for stretching the lower back. Your next step is to see what is causing the pain in your back. Call us to schedule an appointment. Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
“I came here for rehab after my rotator cuff surgery. Ashley is an outstanding therapist. She took the time to thoroughly explain my recovery program as we advanced through it. At ten weeks out from my surgery, I have nearly recovered full range of motion and I am doing very well in recovering my strength. I do not believe I would be anywhere near this advanced without her care and expertise. Thank you Ashley!” - Brian S. I have nearly recovered full range of motion!
HAVE FUN: SUDOKUPUZZLE!
Print sudoku http://1sudoku.com
Think PT First Why You Need To Come Back In For A Tune- Up: 2 3 6 8 6
6 2 7 5 8 4
� Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently and securely � Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle 1 4 6 4 7 3 8
7 6 4 1 5 3
1 6 9 7 2 4
n° 428278 - Level Expert
n° 416609 - Level Expert
CALL TODAY! (309) 852-2200 7 5 3
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
INSIDE: 6 BACK CONDITIONS NOT TO IGNORE “Don’t Procrastinate About That Nagging Pain!”
• Will Your Back Hurt As You Get Older? • Relieve Back Pain In Minutes • Patient Success Spotlight
Do you feel aches and pains in your lower back? If so, you are not alone. Four out of every five Americans will suffer from back pain at some time in their lives. Without proper spine mobility, stability and alignment your back structures wear down over time, similar to tires that are out of alignment. There are many different back conditions, but here are a few common ones: 1. Lumbar or sacral radiculopathy: The result of pressure on a nerve exiting the spine. Pain, numbness and tingling can be felt down in different parts of the leg. 2. Sciatica: This comes from compression of the sciatic nerve by a muscle called the piriformis, deep in the buttock. Symptoms can radiate down the buttock and leg. 3. Spinal stenosis: This is a narrowing of the bony spinal canal which causes rubbing or pressure on nerves. Central canal stenosis is quite serious as it presses upon the spinal cord. 4. Lumbar sprain/strain: This is a common cause of low back pain due to injury of muscles and tendons. The rows of muscles that run up and
down the sides of the spinal column, are the major muscle groups usually involved in lower back injury. 5. Fractures: These are due to trauma, or sometimes occur without any injury in people with osteoporosis. 6. Spinal cord compression: This is unusual, but very worrisome and may be associated with weakness and loss of bowel/bladder control. Medication and Bed Rest Most lower back pain sufferers try over the counter drugs and bed rest. However, most self remedies will not provide the relief that you need. In fact, bed rest is the wrong thing to do, because it can weaken the spinal muscles further. Weakness in the spinal muscles is one of the main reasons for low back pain and puts you at risk for injuring your back with common activities such as lifting, bending or squatting. Most of us sit too much and this contributes to severe weakening of the back and torso muscles which are needed for a healthy back.
Call the clinic nearest you to schedule an appointment today! Kewanee: (309) 852-2200 Galva: (309) 932-8100 Stark County: (309) 695-4010.
Attention Pain Sufferers CARPAL TUNNEL & CUBITAL TUNNEL WORKSHOP
June 9th 10:00am
• Do you have numbness in your hands and fingertips? • Do you have tingling that is radiating into your fingertips? • Are you waking up at night with pain or numbness in your hands? • Are you dropping items from your hands? • Do you feel you have lost strength in your hands? If you have answered YES to any of the above questions, the Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel workshop may be a life changing event for you… Carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome are two nerve related conditions that can be causing some of the above symptoms and limiting people from living life to its fullest. These two syndromes can be impacting people lives in ways such as… • Loss of sleep • Dropping items • Decreased ability to perform work related tasks • Missed time at work Here at Kewanee Physical Therapy and Rehab Specialists, we want to help you get rid of these symptoms and be able to return to your normal daily life, pain and symptom free. Here’s what one of our patients had to say: “Ashley was my therapist in connection with my persistent elbow pain. She understood the cause of the discomfort and knew how to treat it. After about two months, the pain began to subside and then completely ended. I highly recommend her.” – Stuart Borden
At this workshop you will learn: ü The most common causes of Carpal and Cubital Tunnel Syndromes ü Ways to identify the culprit to the problem ü Ways to pick the right treatment for the cause of your symptoms (and save you money and time) ü What successful treatment and permanent relief looks like without the side effects of medications, injections or surgery.
Workshops are free but seats are limited. Only 15 spots available. Don’t delay, register today by calling now!
Attention Wrist Pain Sufferers!
Do You Have Difficulty With Wrist Pain?
ü Are you having numbness in your hands and fingertips? ü Do you have tingling that is radiating into your fingertips? ü Are you waking up at night with pain or numbness in your hands?
Mention or Bring in This Coupon Today For a FREE Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel Screening If you have answered YES to any of the above questions, you may be experiencing Carpal Tunnel or Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and we can help you with these symptoms.
Offer valid for thefirst 11 callers to schedule. Expires 06-25-18.
Call Today: Kewanee (309) 932-8100, Galva (309) 932-8100, or Stark County (309) 695-4010
5 NATURAL WAYS TO BEAT SPRING ALLERGIES It’s Time To Enjoy The Outdoors Without Sneezing!
1. Spend your time outdoors wisely. Jog in the evening instead of the morning when pollen counts are higher. Before heading outdoors, check your local pollen counts online, and on days when pollen counts are high, head to the gym instead. 2. Get natural relief. Some herbal remedies may help stave off allergy symptoms. More research is needed, but an extract from a shrub called butterbur shows promise. Biminne, a Chinese herbal formula with ingredients like ginkgo biloba and Chinese skullcap, may also help. One study found that people who took biminne five times a day for 12 weeks still felt the benefits a year later. 3. Keep pollen out of your home. Simple changes make a difference. Shut all windows to keep out pollen. Use an air conditioner to cool
your home instead of a fan, which draws in air from outside. Take off your shoes at the door and ask guests to do the same to keep allergens outside. Also, bathe pets that go outside more frequently during allergy season. 4. Wear a mask for outdoor chores. Wearing a pollen mask while doing yard work or tending your garden can minimize your exposure to pollen particles. 5. Try a salt water rinse. A saline nasal rinse can help clear allergens from your nasal membranes and gargling with salt water can reduce throat irritation.
www.kptrs.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook Learn more on our blog