Lobo Municipal Offices – Then and Now
The first town meetings were held in settlers homes, in the home of Donald McArthur on Lot 6 Con. 5 from 1829 to 1835 and in Marvel White’s home at Amiens Lot 1 Con. 8 in 1836. After the middle of the century a clapboard covered frame Town Hall was built on the 9th concession between the village of Coldstream and the Coldstream Sideroad, about where lot 105 would be now. It was used for classes by S.S. No. 3 for the last part of the 1869-70 school term after their school burned. When the new and larger frame Town Hall was built in Coldstream in 1880 the old one was purchased by Christian Muma, who moved it across the road and part way up his lane. It was used as a shed for many years and was finally demolished in the 1940s.
The 1880 Town Hall was used for council meetings until 1949 when the council moved to the former Continuation School. The building had also served as a hall for community meetings, concerts, and plays and for Lobo Continuation School classes from 1920 until 1925. The community hall function of the building had been transferred to the new Continuation School when it was built in 1928 and had its auditorium designated as a Community Hall. With an addition, the 1880 Town Hall building now serves as the Fire Hall for the Lobo Volunteer Fire Department. In 1988 new Municipal Offices and a Council Chamber were included in the Lobo Municipal Centre in Coldstream on the former Continuation School site. Excerpt from Delaware and Westminster Twnshp – Volume 1
Issue 30 - March 2020 Page 5
To advertise here please contact Barb@villagerpublications.com
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs