Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
OVERCOME BACKPAIN&GETMOVINGAGAIN! Is Back Pain Slowing You Down?
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
OVERCOME BACKPAIN&GETMOVINGAGAIN! Is Back Pain Slowing You Down?
INSIDE: • How To Take Care Of Your Back • Healthy Recipe • Exercise Essentials • Patient Success Spotlight • DAVID Spine Restoration Program
• Poor coordination of the abdominal, pelvic and back muscles.
Is back pain causing you to move a little slower and more cautiously? If left untreated, chronic back pain can lead to long-term spinal, joint, and possibly nerve damage. Back pain is one of the most common physical complaints that people suffer from and more than 80% of the US population will experience back pain at some point in their lifetime. Back pain can interfere with every day activities and cause you to spend less time with your family. And, it can make you down right irritable and affect your loved ones as well. Why Do I Have Back Pain? Back pain occurs for a number of reasons, but here are a few simple root causes: • Weakness in the spinal and core muscles of the trunk. • Poor posture and strain on the spine from slouched sitting. • Repetitive injury to muscles around the spine from improper lifting. of the spine, hips and muscles of the thighs.
Many people don’t look for treatment options soon enough and continue suffering with aches or pains in their back. Symptoms may even travel to the buttocks and legs. Many people feel that they are stuck with their back pain and use medication to help them get through the day. However, medication mostly hides the pain and does little to address the root cause of the problem. Solutions to Back Pain. Treating back pain starts with determining the true cause. A complete evaluation of your movement, strength, posture and joint mobility can tell a lot about the true origins of your pain. Only then, can the proper plan be formulated to get you out of pain quickly and back to the activities you love. Whether you just tweaked your back, or have been suffering for a long time, seeing one of our physical therapy specialists can help you return to a more active and pain-free life.
1. Keep a Good Posture When you are standing, imagine a string through the top of your head lifting you straight up. This puts your neck, shoulders, spine and hips in natural alignment. While sitting, make sure you sit back in the chair with your feet on the floor and your lower back supported. Your shoulders should not slouch when sitting. Avoid soft couches when you can. 2. Lift Properly Picking things up is a normal part of our day. Even if you pick up something light, your back muscles have to lift the weight of your upper torso and control that movement. Make sure you always face what you need to pick up, squat keeping your spine straight and push with your leg muscles.This helps reduce the excessive pressure on your spine. 3. Stay Flexible Flexibility is key to maintaining a healthy back. By keeping your body flexible, the normal forces of movement and lifting can be distributed across the spine, rather than focused onto a few segments, which can then fail. An easy stretching routine everyday can keep you feeling great and put a spring in your step. 4. Stay Strong You have hundreds of muscles, which control the movement of your spine. Major muscles that support the spine are called your core and include your abdominal, pelvis, spinal and hip muscles. By keeping your core muscles strong, you support your spine and have the ability to easily control lifting, quick movements, bending and a lot more.
5. Physical Therapy Our physical therapists are medical experts in evaluating spine and body movement. By having a regular check up, you can make sure your body is in good condition to tackle the activities you love. If you have a history of back pain, injury or are currently experiencing aches and pains, we can analyze your problem and construct a treatment program that will work best for your individual problem. With soothing hands-on therapy and targeted easy exercises we can help you return quickly to feeling your best. Even if you suffer from severe pain we can help you get out of pain and living the life you deserve. Call us today to schedule an appointment.
Exercise Essentials Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate
INGREDIENTS • 1 1/4 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved • 2 tablespoons canola oil • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper • 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
Heel Slide with Core Activation
Lie on your back with one leg straight. The other leg is bent with the foot flat on the ground. Towel supporting lower back, hands at side. Tuck your chin and lift your shoulder blades off the ground slightly. Slide heel up and back down again.
INSTRUCTIONS Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put the Brussels sprouts in a medium roasting pan; toss with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until light golden brown and a knife inserted into the centers goes in without any resistance, about 45 minutes. Transfer the sprouts to a large bowl and add the pomegranate molasses, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts, and lime and orange zests. Season with salt as needed. Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
CALL TODAY! 501.225.0111
Patient Success Spotlight
I am thankful for the treatments and individual care from Back and Neck Plus
“Success” is a product of working toward a goal(s). Lack of Success is not utilizing the tools we have learned that enable us to reach our goal(s). For me personally, to be successful I had to set the following goals; 1) Diminish my back and neck pain; 2) Increase my activities of daily living; 3) Receive relative treatment from my Physical Therapist according to data provided by my medical history and the DAVID equipment; 4) Become knowledgeable of home exercises that would retain and increase my strength and endurance plus reduce pain. I have been successful in meeting my goals! My pain has been reduced significantly and I am now able to resume my activities of daily living. My Physical Therapist, Susan, takes a personal
interest in my treatment, progress, and concerns. In addition, the DAVID Equipment is amazing due to its accuracy in assessing the location and degree of my weaknesses. The DAVID equipment then specifically treated my areas of weakness according to the EVE assessment data. Lastly, from my experience as a health care provider, I realize that “my success” in meeting goals came from going to Back and Neck Plus where I have received outstanding back and neck therapy. NOTE: I am thankful for the treatments and individual care from Back and Neck Plus where special individual interest was taken in my case. – Melinda H.
Isolates the paraspinal muscles and deactivate muscle groups that naturally interfere with total isolation. Traditional physical therapy methods are not capable of effectively isolating the spine.
FREE BACK PAIN CONSULTATION
A 3-dimensional method which includes all three planes of spinal movement, i.e. sagittal (flexion-extension), frontal (side-bending to the left and right), and transverse (arial rotation to the left and right.
(501) 225-0111 CALL TO SCHEDULE TODAY!
Allows equal distribution of the load and motion across all segments of the spine in the full range of spinal movement.
• Decrease your pain • Increase your strength • Increase your activity level
• Increase your flexibility • Improve your health • Get back to living
The eValuated Exercise (EVE) system provides state-of-the- art monitoring and measuring capability.
Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule. Expires 04-15-18Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter