Health+Fitness N E W S L E T T E R
HOW’S YOUR POSTURE? GOOD POSTURE MEANS A MORE COMFORTABLE LIFE
Detox Recipe Enjoy this healthy detox juice recipe!
Exercise Essentials Try these exercises to relieve pain and stay moving!
Straighten Up! Do you know about posture shirts and how they work?!
Health+Fitness N E W S L E T T E R
HOW’S YOUR POSTURE?
GOOD POSTURE MEANS A MORE COMFORTABLE LIFE
How do you maintain your posture throughout the day? Do you catch yourselfslouching frequently? Do those last couple hours ofthe school or work day leave you hunched over and ready to leave? If you are experiencing aches and pains, especially in your neck or back, poor posture is probably to blame. Fortunately, posture can be improved with the help of physical therapy. Call us today to learn more about how you can improve your posture and lead a pain-free, active life! What Are Some Common Injuries? Your spine has 3 curves, which provide support and flexibility, in addition to protecting the nerves running up and down your spine. Yourneck and lowerback should be gentlycurved in,whileyourupper back should be slightly curved out. When you slouch, the spine in your neck and lower back actually becomes straighter,while the upperback becomes excessivelycurved. Thisproducesa forward-headpostureandhumpedupperback. Ifyour abdominal muscles are weak, you may also experience an excessive arch in your lower back. Common Postural Issues Poorposture isn’t anything to be embarrassed about -veryfewpeople have perfect posture, and most people partake in bad posture habits in onewayoranother.Webecomesowrappedup inwhatevertasksweare
doing thatwe forget to think about thewayourbodies are positioned. Improper posture isn’t due to laziness or apathy; rather, it generally has something to do with a physical weakness within our bodies. We slouch and slump when we feel drained because our bodies (quite literally) get tired of holding us up. Poorposture leads to excessive strain onyour joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Italsoweakensmanyofthecoremusclesthatareneeded in order to keep you upright and healthy. Posture changes occur over time and most people don’t pay attention to them until they begin to notice aches and pains. Even if you exercise regularly, it is possible that there are still a few weak muscles contributing to your posture that you may not even realize. The muscles in your shoulders, back, abdomen, buttocks, and pelvic floor all play an important role in your posture. If even one of these is weak, yourcore will be affected, and yourposture may suffer. Your body is designed to align perfectly, in order to allow for proper movement of the muscles, breathing, and blood circulation. If poor posturecontinues, itcaneventually leadtochronicconditionsasyouage.
POSTURE & PHYSICAL THERAPY
1. Standing. Stand facing a mirror. Look at your shoulders - does one seem higher than the other? Look at your neck - does it tilt to one side or stick forward? Pretendthatan imaginarystring ispullinggentlythroughthetop of your head. Notice how your posture improves automatically when you try to be taller? Keep your abdominals slightly contracted to maintain this posture. When walking, make sure that your arms are moving comfortably back and forth, feeling the rotation through your torso. 2.Sitting. Sit all the way back in your chair so you feel your lower backagainstthebackrest.Avoidprolongedsittingonsoftcouches when watching TV, as this causes excessive slouching. Try to keep your feet flat on the floor and angle your chair so that your knees are slightly lower than your hips. Tryusing a small rolled-up towel foryour lowerback ifyou need more supportwhile sitting. Ifyouwork at a computer, make sure that your keyboard and mouse are slightly lower than the level of your elbow. You may need to adjust your seat higher to make this happen. 3. Bending. Most back injuries occur when bending and twisting at the same time.Whenyou need to bend down to get something froma lowsurface,makesureyousquat,andkeepyourabdominals tightasyoudoso.Inaddition, ifyouare liftingsomething,getyour body as close as possible to what you are lifting. Try having one leg forward to use your legs more to lift, rather than your back. As part of your physical therapy treatment, we can teach you proper posture, bending, and lifting techniques to protect your body from future injuries and make sure you stay healthy for the long-haul. Call Iberia Sports & Rehabilitation at 337.367.3331 or visit isrehab.com to schedule your appointment today!
Our physical therapists are experts in evaluating posture and movement. By pinpointing the source of your aches and pains, we can develop a plan for you that will return you to an ideal posture and quickly relieve your pain. Infact,physicaltherapyhasbeenprovenasoneofthemostsuccessful methods for improving posture. According to a study published by the National Institutes of Health, titled, “Evidence-based protocol forstructural rehabilitation of the spine and posture,” the method of structuralrehabilitationhasastrongeffacacyforbackpain,neckpain, and postural improvement. Physical therapists have found success in using theirmethods to treat postural issues, aswell as the chronic conditions that may develop as a result. Physicaltherapistsaremovementexpertsandtheyaregreatresources tohavewhentryingtoachieveyourphysicalperformancegoals.They will aid you in the improvement of your balance, stability, flexibility, and mobility, all of which will positively affect your posture. 3 Simple Tips For Healthier Posture Physicaltherapytreatmentswillyieldthebestresultswhenfocusingon improvingyourposture. However, there are some simple tipsyou can use on your own when standing, sitting, or bending in your daily life:
MIRACLE RED JUICE
• • 2 limes or lemons • 2 inches of ginger
Ingredients • 2 large beets • 4 long carrots Health Benefits • Immunity
• 2 apples • 6 celery stalks
• Spleen • Kidneys • Pancreas
• Digestive Tract
• Eyes • Liver
Instructions Prepare beets, carrots, apples, celery, limes (or lemons) and ginger by chopping intosmallerpiecesbeforeplacing intoa juicer.As theskinofabeet ispackedwith antioxidants and nutrients, it is recommended to leave the skin on the beet. Do not peel the ginger, which you will add to taste as ginger can be spicy. After all ingredients are added to the juicer, blend until juiced and smooth. Miracle Red Juice can be absorbed more easily on an empty stomach. Drink one glass every otherdayoras needed.
MEET YOUR RECOVERY TEAM!
WHAT ARE POSTURE SHIRTS?
Keith Dalton is a physical therapist who works with orthopedic deficits to return back to their daily lives without pain or limitation. He has worked with patients from all walks of life including college and professional athletes. He has training in dry needling, myofascial release, applied functional science and dynamic taping. JASON KEIGLEY is a physical therapist who works with various orthopedic, neurological, and vestibular pathologies by improving patient’s functional deficits. Jasongothiscertification inFunctionalDry NeedlingfromKinetacoreandcertification in Applied Functional Science from the Gray Institute. ALEXDARBY graduatedwithherDoctorate ofPhysicalTherapy inMayof2018.She is very passionate about exercise and enjoy doingCrossFit,and isexcitedtoworkwith residents of herhometown of New Iberia. MATT LOPEZ is a physical therapist that specializes in outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation.Hehasspentthe last7years workingat IberiaSportsandRehabilitation treating all types of injuries including joint replacements, sports andwork injuries, as well as, chronic pain patients.
PostureShirtsareawearabletherapytoretrainmusclesand improve muscletone,performance,posture,poiseandreducepain. NeuroBand Technology can be used to retrain poor postures due to habitual movement behaviors brought about by prolonged sitting, texting, computer use or athletic injury. The technology is supported by unprecedented research, clinical experience, and over 200,000 people to date who have used Evidence Based Apparel as an option, oradjuncttotraditionaltherapiessuchasprescriptiondrugs,physical therapy and surgical intervention. Theseproductscome inavarietyofstylesandcolorsandareavailable inbothwomen’sandmen’s! Ifyou’re lookingforawayto improveyour posture inadditiontophysicaltherapy,thesemightbethetoolforyou! Learn more about posture AlignMed posture shirts and purchase yours today by visiting their website at alignmed.com .
Learnmoreaboutourstaffandhowtheycanhelpyoubyvisiting ourwebsite at isrehab.com!
HAS YOUR PAIN COME BACK?
Call and consult with a physical therapist at Iberia Sports & Rehabilitation to discuss your pain and symptoms.
2. Your physical therapist may suggest exercises or precautionary measures to relieve or avoid pain.
QUADRUPED ALTERNATING ARM & LEG LIFT Start on your hands and knees. Engage your lower abdominals by pulling your belly buttontoyourspine.Slowlyraiseyouroppositearmand legwithoutshiftingyourtrunk tothesideorarchingyourback.Returnthearmand legtothestartingposition.Repeat with theoppositearmand leg.Hold for3-5secondsandrepeat10 timesoneachside.
3. If further assessment is needed to find the cause of your paint, your therapist can schedule an appointment with you.
Call 337.367.3331 to talk with your physical therapist and schedule yourappointmentwith Iberia Sports & Rehab today!
Always consult your physical therapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker