Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council Investment Portfolio Lead Candidate Information Pack
Investment Portfolio Lead Cand i da t e Informa t i on Pack
Table Of Contents
03 04 06 07 10 12 13
About our Borough
Our Investment Portfolio
Working For Us
Key Dates & Application Process
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council is well known for its established property investment portfolio, valued at almost £300m. The Investment Portfolio Lead is responsible for all aspects of the Council’s investment property holdings - providing high level strategic and innovative advice to ensure effective running of the portfolio whilst creating maximum return on investment. The investment portfolio, which provides an annual income of over £16m, is made up of over 200 properties including key developments at Basing View and The Malls in the town centre alongside industrial, retail, offices, and leisure assets. Reporting to the Head of Property and Assets, the Investment Portfolio Lead will implement and shape the Investment Property Strategy, to develop a non- performing asset disposal programme, release latent value from the portfolio, identify opportunity for investment and ensure effective asset and property management of the existing portfolio. This appointment offers the opportunity to take ownership and be directly responsible for leading the continued evolution of the Council’s ambitious investment portfolio, leaving a lasting impact on the Borough.
About our Borough
Basingstoke and Deane are a borough with a great story to tell. Home to one of the most dynamic economies in the UK, the borough continues to be a great destination for businesses. And with large-scale development and home building projects under way, more and more people are choosing to live and work here. This combination of major employers, a skilled workforce, excellent connectivity and a top-class retail, leisure and culture offer is a great foundation to build on to ensure the borough remains prosperous for years to come. The council plays a key role in ensuring the borough continues to thrive, acting as both catalyst and steward, facilitating planned growth supported by the right infrastructure, and protecting our fantastic natural assets. Covering an area of over 245 square miles in northern Hampshire, 45 minutes to London Waterloo and bordering Surrey and the Thames Valley, Basingstoke and Deane offers a real blend of rural and urban living. Basingstoke is a fast paced, vibrant and modern town with many successful businesses, surrounded by pretty villages and set in the stunning Hampshire countryside. The area includes Highclere Castle, the setting of TV’s Downton Abbey. We have a population of approximately 175,000 people, and whilst more than 75% of our borough is rural, around 60% of our population live in the main town of Basingstoke, which has successfully established itself as a vibrant and successful economic centre in the Hampshire region.
A vision for growth
Our investment portfolio
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council is well known for its established property investment portfolio, which sits alongside the Operational Property team and works closely with Council’s Regeneration and Development departments. The investment portfolio comprises:
• • • •
Gross Income p.a. Number of Assets
Number of Occupiers
Key assets in the portfolio include The Malls and Basing View.
Job Title Revision date Grade Directorate
Investment Portfolio Lead November 2020 12 Borough Development Property and Assets Head of Property and Assets
Business Unit /Section Business Unit /Section
Responsible for total number of direct reports Responsible for total number of staff managed
Main purpose of job
1. To be the lead officer responsible for the management and development of the council’s commercial investment portfolio having a capital value in excess of £250m and generating c. £17m per annum in rental income. 2. To lead on the implementation of the Property Investment Strategy including production and delivery of an annual business plan and regular monitoring reports and play a key role in advising the Property Investment Panel.
1. To be the lead expert principal advisor in the functional area to the Head of Property and Assets, SLT, members and the council on property investment matters and to provide leadership to the property investment team. 2. To lead on the delivery of the Councils Property Investment Strategy which will include acquisition of new investment properties, sales of underperforming assets, enhanced asset management of the portfolio and a pro-active approach to day to day property management (including in respect of basing view assets and the Malls shopping centre). Ensuring that property review and rationalisation is undertaken efficiently and effectively and resulting in in the achievement of a stable long-term source of income from a balanced property investment portfolio and the achievement of required rental income growth. 3. To manage and lead the council’s investment team promoting strong leadership by demonstrating and championing the behaviours in the council’s leadership and management competency framework. 4. Lead on the timely delivery of the annual asset valuation programme in accordance with relevant guidance and regulation and the production of ad hoc valuations as required, commissioning external valuers as required. 5. Provide strategic professional and technical advice to cross council groups, Basing View projects and the council’s Invest to Grow fund on the investment portfolio and strategy ensuring the council complies with all relevant legislation and codes of practice. 6. To be responsible for the setting, monitoring and management of service area revenue and rent account budgets including in respect of service charge accounts and in accordance with RICS guidance and best practise. 7
1. To set objectives and be responsible for the effective delivery of all professional work carried out by the Property Investment Team ensuring that it is consistent with the overall aims and objectives of Property and Assets and the Council. 2. To be aware of and keep key stakeholders appraised of relevant property market and economic trends that may influence the ability to deliver the Investment Strategy objectives. Maintain an up to date knowledge of relevant property legislation and best practice and to network with other councils and professional bodies and respond to consultations related to the service area. Build and promote effective relationships with customers, stakeholders, external consultants and internal teams. 3. Identify opportunities to enhance the income and capital returns from the portfolio, undertake financial analysis, option appraisals and due diligence of identified projects and lead in the preparation and submission of business cases and subsequent delivery. 4. To specify, procure, appoint and contract manage external advisors and consultants as required to assist in the delivery of the Investment Strategy. Due to the complexity of some of the projects the consultants will be senior and highly skilled. 5. To take the lead on and have direct responsibility for key or complex lease transactions, including lease re-gears and opportunities for redevelopment, and the bringing forward of new premises, job creation and inward investment to the borough. 6. To build effective links and partnerships and be the lead officer for the management of the Malls, including procurement and contract management of all services relating to the Malls, and advising on and delivery of the retail strategy. 7. Support collaborative working and partnerships with the private, public and third sector in maximising the benefits from public sector property as appropriate. 8. To effectively respond to audit enquiry and in the formulation of management responses and delivery of agreed remediation/improvement plans. 9. To support the continued implementation, development and use of the Technology Forge Asset Management System from both Property and Assets and corporate perspectives ensuring the input of accurate data for the functional area. 10. Undertake the review of processes and procedures to ensure the delivery of activities in an effective and efficient manner for the service area. 11. To write internal approval papers including, but not limited to, those to Cabinet, Audit and Accounts Committee and the Property Investment Panel. 12. To actively engage with current and prospective tenants/occupiers to maximise retention/new business in the Borough. 13. Actively engage in the preparation of press releases and wider communications strategies.
14. To ensure, through the team, the following activities are undertaken: a. Support the work on optimising the use of assets including through the provision of guidance and advice on valuations and landlord and tenant issues; b. To ensure all rent reviews and lease renewals are promptly actioned by the team and to lead on complex and major lease restructures, lease renewals and rent reviews; c. Recruitment, organisation, motivation, training & development and health, safety and welfare of staff within the team; d. Support the preparation and implementation of Directorate and Business Unit Service Plans and action/delivery plans. 15. Lead, participate and represent the team on any such work the Head of Property and Assets may determine which is compatible with the responsibility levels of the post.
Attendance at Cabinet and committees as required. Working out of hours as required. The post holder will have competing demands for time and expertise. This will require a high degree of flexibility in work undertaken and
Special features and/or equipment (anything ‘out of the norm’
workload management. Politically Sensitive post
Qualifications and Experience Academic, technical and professional • RICS General practice Qualified. • Relevant degree level qualification and/or formal industry recognised qualifications. • Evidence of continuing professional development. • Relevant qualification and proven experience of leadership and management. Work Experience & Attainments Previous work experience relevant to the job • Proven practical experience of leading, motivating, and managing multi-disciplinary teams to achieve success. • Has proven experience in landlord and tenant, commercial property investment, and management at both strategic and operational levels, asset management and in conducting complex professional and technical negotiations. Demonstrates a clear understanding of the commercial property • Has a good understanding of property development and associated planning processes. market. • Experience of leading and managing change. • Proven track record of identifying efficiencies, opportunities and delivering continuous improvement. • Proven track record in budgetary analysis and management including financial evaluation of acquisition development and disposal opportunities. • Appropriate experience in project and programme management in a property environment. • A clear understanding and knowledge of local government, including legal, financial, social and political aspects and is experienced in working in a political environment and able to negotiate and work effectively with a range of stakeholders.
Skills and Competencies
• Good communication and interpersonal skills, ability to persuade and influence others utilising a variety of communication methods. • Excellent staff management skills. • Ability to work under pressure and to establish and prioritise work programmes. • Creative and flexible with a customer focussed approach. • Able to communicate information and ideas clearly and accurately, both in oral and written form. • Delivers results to required standards , in a timely and cost effective way. • Well developed problem solving and decision making ability. • Managing and developing self and team members. PC/Computer Literacy Job content relating to this • High degree of computer literacy including Microsoft. • Knowledge of specialist property ICT systems including Kel, technology Forge, CAD. Circumstances Location, flexibility and mobility; other circumstances specific to the job • Ability to work outside of normal hours as required. • To ensure that service delivery complies with current regulations, accepted professional standards, the council’s policies and procedures and appropriate legislation (including legislation on equalities, health and safety and safeguarding children and vulnerable adults)’.
Working For Us
• Competitive salary: £63,669 to £69,322 • Car allowance £3,240 • Local Government Pension Scheme • 32 days annual leave per year • Car parking - Free parking is available on campus (subject to a waiting list)
• Healthcare cash plan scheme - Funded for all staff by the council, the scheme is offered through UK Healthcare and helps cover your day-to-day healthcare expenditure, such as optical and dental bills. Once you have completed treatment in respect of any of the benefits provided, you can claim
back 100% of the cost, up to agreed policy limits. • Great discounts with a range of shops and providers
• Subsidised health checks • Interest free loans for travel • Salary sacrifice scheme for bicycles
Equality, Inclusion and Diversity
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council aims to embed the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in everything that it does. This includes the provision of services, the work of councillors in the community, work with partner organisations and the development of the council’s workforce.
Key Dates And Application Process
To arrange a confidential conversation to discuss the opportunity in more depth, please contact Stephanie Howe (firstname.lastname@example.org) of The Management Recruitment Group on 020 3962 9900.
Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV and a covering letter (of not more than 2 pages).
Applications should be sent to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 31st October 2021. First stage interviews with MRG are scheduled for w/c 8th and 15th November 2021. First stage interviews with the Basingstoke & Deane Borough Councilare schedule for w/c 29th November 2021.
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council Investment Portfolio Lead Candidate Information PackPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14
Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter maker