Surrey Registration Service Bereavement Guide

Tell Us Once The Surrey Registration Service and local authorities across Surrey offer this free, national service which we hope will make things easier for you. Tell Us Once allows you to tell multiple government agencies about a death, all at once. At your death registration appointment, the registrar will give you a unique reference number, allowing you to notify organisations that participate in the service. Your unique reference number will only be valid for a limited time. Please refer to the Tell Us Once document issued by the Registrar. You can notify organisations either in one phone call or by visiting contact-and-tell-us-once The Tell Us Once service is determined by the usual address of the deceased. Not all local borough or district councils offer Tell Us Once. Organisations that currently participate in the Tell Use Once Service include: Local Councils • Housing Benefit Office • Council Tax Payments and Benefits Office • Council Housing • Libraries

Identity and Passport Service • Passport Cancellation Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency • Driving Licence Cancellation Department for Work and Pensions • Pension, Disability and Carers Service • Jobcentre Plus • Overseas Health Team Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency • War Pensions Scheme HM Revenue and Customs • Child Benefit • Universal Credit • Personal Taxation After you have completed the second part of the Tell Us Once Service, the departments that you have notified may contact you separately to confirm that the relevant processing has been completed. If you have not heard from a department within 28 days, you may contact the Tell Us Once telephone service who will follow it up on your behalf. Due to the secure nature in which your information is treated, the register office will not be informed of any correspondence between you and the department – it is a one-way process. We are unable to contact them for you. All the information you give is treated securely. The organisations that you notify will use it to update their records, but only as the law allows.

• Blue Badges • Adult Services • Children’s Services • Collection of payments for Council Services • Electoral Services


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online