Managing Director - Developments
Candidate Information Pack
2. Castleoak Overview
4. Smart Solutions
5. Development Case Studies
6. Job Description
7. Application Process
Thank you for your interest in the position of Managing Director - Developments at Castleoak. They are award-winning pioneers of specialist developments, focused on delivering care homes, assisted and independent living for older people across the UK. Excellence, respect, integrity and collaboration are how they do business and their reputation means everything to them. Their purpose is to create quality living spaces, with an unrivalled track record of delivery spanning 30 years. The Managing Director - Developments will sit on the Executive Board and will act as an integral part of the executive team, responsible for building effective networks and working relationships with a variety of different stakeholders. The successful candidate will lead the development delivery and optimisation of all assets and land assembly and will provide clear innovative leadership.
They are seeking an individual with a demonstrable track record of strategic leadership within an operational focused, complex asset development organisation.
Castleoak are market specialists for care, assisted and retirement living, spanning specialist development, manufacturing and design and build solutions. Their sole focus is delivering later living built assets whilst keeping true to their values. Highly prestigious in their field, Castleoak are winners of The Health Investor Property Developer of the Year 2016, 2014 and 2011 and finalists for the 2019 awards. They are also winners of the Sunday Times British Home Awards, and the 2017 RICS awards. 96% of current projects are from returning customers, speaking volumes to Castleoak’s quality and loyalty. They offer a rich development solution to their clients that includes demographic and care gap analysis, land and acquisition, planning management plus project feasibility including financial modeling and operational design advice. They create funding solutions that enable new developments and offer their customers a choice of modern design and build methods.
They hold high values which have been constant for over 30 years.
Castleoak - a collaborative, highly specialist team working smart for their customers.
Striving for continuous improvement in everything they do. Delivering a great product and service for customers to meet their expectations.
Valuing, challenging and supporting one another
whilst appreciating individual skills and abilities. Castleoak embrace diversity and equality.
Working as a one team, with shared goals and values. Castleoak promotes effective team
Fostering an environment of openness and trust. Confident in the way they go about doing business, their practices and doing the right thing.
working between colleagues, customers and supply chain partners to create valuable relationships.
Castleoak’s solutions encompass the following core services:
With over 30 successful developments delivered to-date, and an active pipeline of sites in progress, Castleoak brings valuable projects to life for investors and operators.
Full development offering:
• Care and retirement living market insight • Demographic and care gap analysis • Site appraisal, feasibility and due diligence • Site finding and acquisition • Project viability • Planning and early community engagement • Funding partnerships and asset management • Specialist design and build solutions
Castleoak offers access to development funding, asset management and assists oper- ators with securing joint venture partners. Sophisticated financial modelling and busi- ness planning services are offered to funders, operators and new business ventures.
Personal responsibility and accountability is held at every level, and health and safety matters are considered, monitored and reviewed at every project stage, from design to handover. Constantly driven to achieve best practice in line with industry standards and HSE guidance, Castleoak consistently perform better than the industry average to be fully compliant with all legislation.
A choice of construction solutions
• Traditional build • Timber frame • Light weight steel frame • Steel frame & hot rolled steel • Concrete frame
Off-site manufacturing at the Castleoak ISO certified factory improves programme certainty and quality assurance. They are continually innovating and have begun delivering volumetric construction solutions.
Development Case Studies
Baycroft Great Baddow
Grace Care Centre
Birchgrove Queensgate Apartments and Smythe Lodge, Sidcup
A development of 74 assisted living apartments and a 80-bed care home, Pre let to Birchgrove and care UK respectively. Completed in 2019.
Site acquisition Demographic & project feasibility analysis Planning Design & build Funding & pre-let
Speedwell Court, Southampton
A 80-bed care home development leased to Abeyfield Society.
Site acquisition Demographic & project feasibility analysis Planning Design & build Funding Pre-let to Abbeyfield
Baycroft Great Baddow, Chelmsford
Leased to One Housing Group. Completed in 2018.
An elegant 64 bed care home offering residential, nursing and dementia care near Chelmsford in Essex.
Grace Care Centre, Thornbury
Leased to The Orders of St John Care Trust. Completed in 2017.
A modern and comfortable 70-bed care home offering residential and dementia care on the outskirts of Thornbury.
Detailed Job Profile
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Managing Director – Developments, is the most senior executive within Castleoak Care Developments Limited (“CCD”) and is responsible to the Group Board for the performance of the company within the overall strategy of the group. Reporting to the Executive Chair, the Managing Director – Developments needs to have the drive, self-confidence and assertion to achieve results and successful delivery of projects. The role will require the balancing of potential conflicting requirements in terms of volume and quality of sites and profitability. A skilled negotiator who can develop and maintain business relation-ships using a ‘partnered approach’ and influence at all levels. The main purpose of the role is to lead the development of CCD’s strategy and to direct and control the company’s resources within the context of the wider group. The role is responsible for managing the company’s operations and providing direction to CCD’s Board to ensure that it achieves its mission and objectives.
Detailed Job Profile
Strategy & Business Plan Development of the CCD Business Plan and ensure it is communicated and understood by the team. Leadership & management Work with the operational board to ensure that the CCD budget is achieved, and that succession plans are in place.
• Reports to the Executive Chair. • Direct reports include all members of the CCD Board, except the CCD Finance Director who reports direct to the Group CFO. • The Executive Chair may appoint Non-Executive Directors to the CCD Board who would report direct to the Executive Chair.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct and control CCD’s work and resources of the company and ensure the recruitment and retention of the required numbers and types of well-motivated, trained and developed staff to ensure that it achieves its mission and objectives.
• Establish and maintain effective formal and informal links with major players in the Later Living sector, including funders, developers and operators, relevant government departments and agencies, local authorities, key decision-makers and other stakeholders generally, to exchange information and views and to ensure that the company is providing the appropriate range and quality of services. • Develop and maintain the company’s commercial model and propositions to be at the forefront in the Later Living sector, ensuring that the most cost- effective development deals and most commercial terms put CCD in the most competitive position.
• Prepare and maintain a long-term strategy, three-year business plan
and annual budget, monitoring progress against these plans to ensure that the company attains its objectives as cost- effectively and efficiently as possible • Provide strategic advice and guidance to the Group Chair and the members of the Group Board, to keep them aware of market developments within the Later Living sectors and ensure that the appropriate policies are in place to meet the company’s mission and objectives and to comply with all relevant statutory and other regulations.
• Prepare, gain acceptance, and monitor the implementation of an annual budget to ensure that group-wide targets are met, that revenue flows are maximised and that costs are minimised, optimising the working capital required by the business.
• Develop and maintain Total Quality Management systems throughout CCD’s operations to ensure that the best practice procedures and services are provided to other companies within the group, partner businesses and stakeholders. • Develop, promote and direct the implementation of equal opportunities policies in all aspects of CCD’s work, ensuring a diverse and inclusive workforce environment. • Support the preparation of the group- wide annual report and accounts of Castleoak Holdings Limited and work with the Group Board to ensure their approval by the shareholders. • Develop and direct the implementation of policies and procedures to ensure that the company complies with all health and safety and other statutory regulations.
• Develop and maintain an effective communications and marketing strategy for the CCD business within the overall Castleoak Brand strategy to promote the
group, its services and image of the company in the wider community.
• Represent the company in negotiations with customers, suppliers, government, public agencies, planning authorities and other key stakeholders to secure for the group the most commercial development deals.
The role requires:
• A proven record of success at a senior level in a development business of scale with broad commercial management experience, preferably in the Later Living sector or another real estate market of comparable complexity and relevance. • At least ten years’ senior level experience of management of people and resources, preferably with at least three years’ board level experience. • Graduate level of intellect, preferably with a higher degree in a management discipline or a with a recognised real estate or construction professional qualification. • A wide knowledge of the real estate market and Later Living sector. • An understanding of real estate development funding, financial management and wider management principles and techniques. • Political and presentational skills with an appreciation of the demands of conflicting interests and of meeting statutory requirements. • A very high level of commercial awareness. • Leadership skills. • Excellent communication skills. • Excellent organisational skills. • Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. • Personal values and behaviours consistent with the Castleoak corporate values of excellence, respect, integrity and collaboration.
Castleoak is being supported on this recruitment campaign by the search consultancy The Management Recruitment Group (MRG).
To arrange a confidential briefing conversation please contact our advisor Matthew Evans.
Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV (of not more than 4 pages) and a covering letter (of not more than 2 pages). Applications should be sent directly to Matthew Evans.
Matthew Evans E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 07854 865 017
Preliminary interviews will begin taking place with MRG week commencing 13th April 2020. The closing date for applications is 19th April 2020.
Final stage assessment interviews will be held at Castleoak week commencing 11th May 2020.
Castleoak is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Promoting equality of opportunity for all, through diversity, giving everyone the chance to achieve their potential, free from prejudice and discrimination. To that end, they particularly welcome applications from minority candidates as they are under- represented within Development roles at this level.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30 Page 31 Page 32
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker