W E L L N E S S U P D A T E
DON’T IGNORE YOUR BACK PAIN
Exercise Essentials • Special Offer! • Don’t Ignore Your Back Pain • 9 Ways To Strengthen Your Body Against Covid-19
South Coast Physiotherapy 216 West St, Unit 305 Simcoe, On N3Y 1S8 P : 519.428.1234
South Coast Physiotherapy 422 Grey St Brantford, ON N3S 4X8 P : 226.777.7133
South Coast PhysioPlus 164 Colborne St West Unit 2B Brantford, ON N3T 1L2 P : 519.304.8822
Tillsonburg Physiotherapy 171 North Street E, Tillsonburg, ON N4G 1B8 P: 519.842.5162
Learn more by visiting our website southcoastphysiotherapy.ca
DON’T IGNORE YOUR BACK PAIN
DON’T MISS OUT ON THIS SPECIAL OFFER! 30 Your Initial Assessment and following treatments at our Tillsonburg Clinic % OFF to ignore it. Everyone develops back pain, time to time, right? There is no reason to stress about it or overreact, right? Absolutely wrong! Understanding Back Pain. Back pain may be common, but it is absolutely not normal. There are actually a lot of serious conditions that can cause your back to begin to hurt, and it is smart to have your back looked at by a physician early on so that you know exactly what is going on with your body from the get-go. Once the cause of your back pain is determined, your Physiotherapist will be able to identify the best treatment options for your body’s needs. This will likely include the following: • Targeted exercises that are specialized to the region of the back that is experiencing the most pain. These exercises are designed to help build strength and support the surrounding muscles. • Guided stretching designed to improve range of motion and flexibility. This will take into account the health and vivacity of vertebrae and any
EXERCISE ESSENTIALS PRONE ON ELBOWS Lie on your stomach, hands beside your shoulders. Push with your arms up on to your elbows. Hold for 10 counts then return to start position. Repeat 8 times. Injuries are a real pain in the back. The back is one of the most vulnerable parts of the body. You rely on it so heavily — whether it is to shoulder your emotional stresses or to physically lift something that you need to carry with you. Your back is constantly at risk. It is at risk when you drive, being one of the body parts likely to take the biggest impact in case of an accident. It is at risk when you are safely at home on your couch or at the office, where you are likely scrunched over and not caring one bit about your posture. It is at risk when you run, when you play sports, and even when you find yourself sick and are coughing so heavily that your back begins to hurt. It is no wonder that somany people experience back injuries every year. What is a big wonder is that somany people choose to ignore their back injuries year after year! When you break an arm or get a cut on your leg, you are likely todo something about it right away. The sight of blood leaving your body or the realization that a bone isn’t sitting right is something that not many people are going to deal with for too long before seeking medical attention. Yet when pain begins in the back, it is almost normal
Present this coupon to receive 30% off of your initial assessment and following treatments at our Tillsonburg Clinic. Limited time offer. *Terms and conditions apply.
Always consult your Physiotherapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing.
Exercises copyright of
Call today! 519.842.5162
potential stretches that may support optimal back health.
• Muscle sprain or strain • Slipped vertebrae or disc • Tear or hyperextension to the supporting muscles or tendons • Arthritis These concerns can develop as a result of a myriad of environmental issues, such as having poor posture, prolonged sedentary activity, car crash, sporting accident, stress, heavy lifting, and so on. When it comes to back pain, Don’t Wait! When you experience an injury to your back, or realize that you are experiencing regular pain as a result of an ongoing injury or overuse, it is important to find out the cause of your back pain as quickly as possible. Back pain can quickly become chronic, as a potentially small issue can become complicated when it is not addressed early on. Working with a Physiotherapist can help you to identify the difference between environmental causes and something more medically based. To get started with putting an end to your back pain, contact us.
MICHAEL J. COOK Registered Massage Therapist Michael combines the best aspects of Massage, Acupuncture and Athletic Therapy to provide a safe but aggressive and effective, individualized rehabilitation programs ensuring the patient reaches their optimal goals quickly and economically. The best way to keep your body healthy during this time is to stay moving and reduce inflammation. Being sedentary and making poor diet choices has the potential to hurt your immune system and make you a target for sickness and disease. 9WAYS TOSTRENGTHENYOUR BODY AGAINST COVID-19 9 ways to strengthen your body against viruses like COVID-19: • Support and guidance with an exercise routine and habit formation, especially with cardiovascular activity that can stimulate improved blood circulation to the affected areas of the back, as well as strength- building activities. Attempting to undertake any of these changes on your own after you’ve experienced a back injury is both dangerous and not recommended. Working with a licensed and experienced Physiotherapist can provide you with the guidance and ongoing support that you need to ensure that you do not experience any further injury as you attempt to heal the cause of your back pain. Getting to the Bottom of Back Pain. There are a lot of different reasons as to why you may be experiencing back pain, and ignoring any of them is not a good idea. Some of themost common issues that cause back pain to linger include:
• Wash your hands.
• Get a good amount of rest.
• Decide to get up and get moving.
In order to be healthy, there needs to be a large emphasis on movement. When your body is flexible, strong, well-balanced, and fueled by a nutritious diet, it is able to fight infection and reduce the impact of viruses. We are dedicated to helping you live the best life you can. During this time, if you cannot make it to your physical therapy appointments, continue your exercises at home. We care for you and remember you are part of our physical therapy family.
• Eat nutrition rich food.
• Take frequent breaks for breathing exercises. Inhale and exhale deeply. • Continue your home exercise program 2-3 times per week.
• Drink plenty of water.
• Don’t smoke.
AVOID ACHES & PAINS IN THE GARDEN
Common gardening activities, such as digging, planting, weeding, mulching, and raking can cause stress and strain on muscles and joints. This is especially true for senior citizens and people who are normally sedentary. Different body areas such as the shoulders, neck, back, and knees can be vulnerable to injury during gardening.
• If kneeling on both knees causes discomfort in your back, try kneeling on one and keep the other foot on the ground. Use knee pads or a gardening pad when kneeling.
• If kneeling or leaning down to the ground causes significant pain in your back or knees, consider using elevated planters to do your gardening.
These tips can help prevent injuries:
• Avoid bending your wrist upwards when pulling things or using gardening tools. Instead, keep your wrist straight and use your shoulder muscles to pull and lift. • End your gardening session with some gentle backward bending of your low back, a short walk and light stretching, similar to stretches done before starting.
• Warm up before you garden. A 10 minute brisk walk and stretches for the spine and limbs are good ways to warm up.
• Change positions frequently to avoid stiffness or cramping.
• Make use of a garden cart or wheelbarrow to move heavy planting materials or tools. Be sure to keep your back straight while using a wheelbarrow.
Author: Andrea Avruskin PT, DPT
HAS YOUR PAIN COME BACK?
1. Call and consult with a Physiotherapist at one of our locations to discuss your pain and symptoms.
DO YOU KNOW ANYONE THAT NEEDS OUR HELP? REFER A LOVED ONE TODAY!
Sit comfortably for longer Walk longer distances Maintain a healthy life
Move without pain Bend and move freely
2. Your Physiotherapist may suggest exercises or precautionary measures to relieve or avoid pain.
Balance confidently & securely
3. If further assessment is needed to find the cause of your pain, your therapist can schedule an appointment with you.
Simcoe Location P : 519.428.1234 East Brantford Location P : 226.777.7133
West Brantford Location P : 519.304.8822 Tillsonburg Physiotherapy P : 519.842.5162
Visit our website at southcoastphysiotherapy.ca or call 1.888.217.1804 to learn more information.
Learn more by visiting our website southcoastphysiotherapy.caPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online