Marathon Monthly January 2018 Physical Therapy
6 Easy Steps To Put You On The Path To A Happier, Healthier, More Active You!
1. Begin the day with protein. Eating protein for breakfast helps curb your appetite throughout the day and tends to improve your overall diet as well. While you may wind up consuming the same number of calories over a day’s time, you’ll be less tempted by high-fat snacks around dinner time. Keep in mind that there are plenty of plant-based proteins available, including hemp seeds, black beans, almonds, edamame, and pumpkin seeds among them. 2. Limit your drinks. By this,wearen’tonlyreferring toalcohol. Instead, try to cut back on the calorie-laden drinks popular this timeofyear.Concoctionssuchassweetened coffeedrinks,sodas,dietsodasandenergydrinks can be detrimental to a healthy diet. Focus on a higher consumption of water during the day and to make it easy have a glass by your desk or carry a bottle around with you. 3. Try wearable technology. Research shows that people who use wearable technology, gadgets such as Fitbits, Garmin, and Withings, tend to stick to their exercise routine more faithfully than those who don’t. With many of them, you can track your heart rate, steps per minute, sleep cycles, and more.
4. Increase Your Range Of Motion. Avoid shortcuts when it comes to exercising. Strive for using the greatest range of motion. Thismay includemaking longer lunges,stretching arms more while jumping rope, or leaning over further during yoga. Whatever the case, doing so helps your muscles do more work per rep, which results in breaking down more tissue by the end of your workout. If you have difficulty reaching a full range of motion, or have discomfort, consult your physical therapist. 5. Reduce fatigue. Asanyonewhohas triedandfailedatestablishing a regularexercise routinecanagree,fatigue is the numberoneenemy.Tohelpcombatthis,drinkbeet juice. Studies show that it can increase stamina by up to 16 percent. Furthermore, listen to music that keeps you motivated. Listening to the right music can actually expand your blood vessels by 26 percent. Work on a schedule routine that ensuresyougetenoughrest,exercise,andactivity. 6. Switch it up. If you’ve been plugging through the same fitness routinedayafterday,youmaynoticeareduction in strengthgain.Toavoidthis,trydifferentexercises,
working out at different times of day, using different repetitions, or lifting different weights. As 2018 begins to unfold, consider ways to add healthy decision-making to your lifestyle. Remember that putting things off doesn’t get you to where you want to be. We are here to help you reach your goals and achieve a healthy, pain-free lifestyle.Talk to your physical therapist at our practice today, or schedule a consultation to make your 2018 the healthiest yet.
Andrew's TopThreeTips for theNewYear!
1. Stand Tall. From your waist up, hold yourself upright and taller. It’ll facilitate improvementstoyourpostureandhelppreventneckandbackpain. 2. Work Your Balance. Every so often close your eyes and exercise your body’s ability to hold itself upright without having to rely on your eyes. Start withholdingontosomethingsturdyandgraduallymake it harderbyholding on less and then by holding nothing. Be aware of how the body feels with your eyes closed and feel for things like your back posture.
3: Check Your Shoes. On an older pair of shoes, check the bottom to see what the wear pattern looks like. If it’s all worn out on just the inside or just the outside, it will give you clues on your walking pattern and its safeness. Also having good, appropriately supportive shoes can help maintain your posture and also prevent pain in multiple regions of your body. *For those of you who have not yet met Andrew, he is one of awesome therapists and a health and fitness guru! Feel free to ask him questions... he is walking encyclopedia.
YouCanRelieveYOURArthritisPain 6 Essential Tips To Help Your Arthritis Pain What Can I Do To Gain Pain Relief Independently?
2. Weight loss Maintaining your recommended weight or losing weight if you are overweight can lessen your pain by reducing stress on your affected joints. Weight loss specifically helps ease pressure on weight-bearing joints such as the hips and knees. 3. Footwear & insoles If arthritis affects your knee, special footwear and insolescan reducepainand improvewalking. 4. Knee braces Forosteoarthritiswithassociatedknee instability, a knee brace can reduce pain, improve stability and reduce the risk of falling. 5. Heat & cold Many people find the heat of a warm bath, heat pack or paraffin bath eases arthritis pain. Others find relief in cold packs. Still others prefer alternating the two. Learn more about what can work best for you by talking to our specialists.
When it comes to treating arthritis, you may have more options than you realize. There is a lot you can do to reduce your aches and pains from arthritis, while gaining more mobility and function. People often experience pain from arthritis becauseofstiff joints,musclesandother tissues. In addition, muscles become weak, therefore not supporting the arthritic joints. Our customized physical therapy treatments promote muscle strength, improve range of motion, increase mobility and ease pain. In addition, coupling your treatments with the following can also help you live life to the fullest and get you back to doing the things you love : 1. Education & self-management When your treatment isover, our expertswill have equipped you with the knowledge and exercises you need to continue your progress on your own.
6. Exercise Exercise has been proven to help reduce arthritis pain while increasing strength and function. Knowing the right kind of exercises to do is the key. Talking with our physical therapists will point you in the right direction. There is a lot that you can do to relieve the pain from arthritis and protect your joints for the long-term. Find out more about our ARTHRITIS PROGRAM by calling us today and discover how to relieve and reduce the pain of arthritis.
Marathon Physical Therapy announces the introduction of the LightForce PRO Deep Tissue Laser
FAST & EFFECTIVE FOR PAIN RELIEF AND REDUCED INFLAMMATION. PROMOTES HEALING BY STIMULATING INCREASED ATP PRODUCTION. USED TO ACCELERATE THE HEALING PROCESS BY PRO ATHLETES IN THE NFL, MLB, NBA & HOSPITALS FOR SPECIAL SURGERY
Start recovery faster
Laser Therapy Relieves Pain and Inflammation Associated With
• Strains and Sprains • Soft Tissue Injury • Post Surgical Rehabilitation • Sports Injuries • Tendonitis & Tendonosis
• Shoulder and Knee Pain • Hand and Wrist Injuries • Foot and Ankle Conditions • And Much More!
Laser therapy allows your body to utilize its own healing powers by inducing a series of healing responses in your body. During treatment you will feel soothing warmth that identifies the beginning of an 18-24 hour process of modulated cellular activity leading to decreased pain and inflammation. Call Today (516) 487-9810.
(516) 487-9810 2
Patient Success Story
Juices And Smoothies For years we have seen a surge in the number of people who drink healthy green juices. However, we think that green juices and smoothies will be an even big hit in 2018, easily becoming one of the trendiest ways to stay healthy. These juices and smoothies are made from fresh fruits and vegetables, which makes them very nutritious. Here are some good smoothie recipes we recommend you try. Mix a number of different fruits and vegetables to your own liking: • Tropical green smoothie made from bananas, papaya, and pineapple • Apple, spinach and carrot juice • The avocado-pear smoothie • Basil-avocado smoothie • Cranberry pineapple smoothie We hope this tip will inspire you to stay healthy in 2018!
“I started at Marathon because I was having pain in my knees. I had read a review online that this was a wonderful facility and I was not disappointed! How lucky I was to start on a Wednesday and get an AMAZING team from the start! I loved having Vance as my therapist and Joe and Sachi were a dream team! I worked hard but had fun while doing it! Now I have tools to use at home to continue to strengthen my knees. They worked with me and pushed me further each week and now I can do so much more than when I started! Thank you to a fabulous staff!!!” - Nicole V. Knee Pain - “I can do so much more than when I started!” Print sudoku ttp://1sudoku.com 3 8 1 3 7 5 4 7 9 2 5 9 1 6 2 4
Exercise Essential 3 8 1 6 3
Helps Mobilize Hips CLAMS IN SIDE LYING 4
7 5 3
Lie on one side hips bent to 45 degrees, feet in line with hips. Slowly raise top knee up while keeping feet touching and pelvis still. Return to start position with same speed. Repeat 10 times on both sides. 5 9 6 2 7 9
7 5 8
6 7 1 4
7 2 4 3
See Our Facebook Video 3 Simple Exercises for Knee Pain 2 1 6 http://1sudoku.com n° 310547 - LevelHard
n° 318548 - LevelHard
1 4 6 2
5 3 2 9 6 5 7 3 2 1 5 8 9
5 3 8 1 7
5 6 3 7 2
8 3 4 8 1 3 5 6 1
3 7 5 4
n°36953 - LevelHard
n° 315994 - LevelHard
(516) 487-9810 3
Play on your mobile these puzzles and find their solutions by flashing the codes below : n°318548 n° 310547 n° 36953
Marathon Physical Therapy
www.marathonptny.com Tel: (516) 487-9810 Fax: (516) 773-7315
The Expert Care You Need and Deserve
556B MIDDLE NECK RD GREAT NECK, NY 11023
Page1: 6EasySteps Andrew’sTopThreeTipsFor TheNewYear Page2: YouCanRelieveYOURArthritisPain HealFasterWithLaserTherapy Page3: StayHealthyin2018WithSmoothies! PatientSuccessStory ExerciseEssential SeeOurFacebookVideo Page4: HowNottoShovelSnow INSIDE
Download at: www.marathonptny.com/spinebook
HOW TO NOT SHOVEL SNOW THIS YEAR! Avoid shoveling whenever possible
If you have lower back pain, snow shoveling is one of those activities that you should avoid whenever possible. Here are some options to get you started thinking about how to avoid shoveling this year. Find a volunteer to clear your snow. Many local nonprofit organizations, such as Boy Scouts, high schools and church youth programs require teens and young adults to provide a certain number of service hours in their community. Assisting someone with back pain by shoveling their driveways and walkways will almost always count towards their required minimum of service hours, so it’s a win-win: they will be helping you by shoveling your snow and you will be helping them fulfill their service requirements. If you fear you will or have injured your back while shoveling, contact us today to schedule an appointment. Our physical therapists will proceed with any necessary treatment, to help you return to a pain free and active life.
4Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker