Berkeley East & West Thames
Head of Commercial
Candidate Briefing Pack
1. Executive Summary
2. Berkeley Group and Berkeley Homes East & West Thames
3. The Berkeley Vision Summary
4. Job Description & Person Specification
5. Why consider the role?
6. Application Process
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY The Management Recruitment Group are partnering with Berkeley Homes (East Thames) Limited to appoint a Head of Commercial. Berkeley Homes (East Thames) Limited is an operating company of Berkley Homes East & West Thames Region. Reporting directly to the Commercial Director, this newly created role represents an opportunity to take leadership responsibility for the commercial function of the business; initially focusing on two landmark schemes and subsequently managing future workload within the business, as and when future projects are undertaken. The longevity and scale of both current and future developments will see the new Head of Commercial playing a key role in the operational leadership of this business. In the short term, responsibility will be for two major developments including Kidbrooke Village and Royal Woolwich Arsenal Regeneration schemes. This gives the opportunity for the Head of Commercial to play a key role in the delivery of landmark, major projects that will promote enhancement of their career track record and experience. Reporting to the Commercial Director, the Head of Commercial will take lead responsibility for the management of the commercial elements of all developments under the Berkeley Homes ( East Thames) Limited business; leading, motivating and managing an in-house commercial function, consisting of Managing Surveyors through to Commercial Assistants and support staff. We are seeking candidates with a proven track record of working for residential developers or resi-led design and build contractors, with experience of having previously worked on large-scale regeneration, mixed-use schemes and/or residential towers. With extensive management experience, gravitas and credibility to lead an experienced team, we are looking for someone with exceptional commercial acumen and the ability to thrive in what can be a highly pressurised environment. A solid surveying background is expected, with a sound knowledge and understanding of forward planning, real-time residential and construction trends and ability to appraise the team’s outputs. This role will lead to a directorship within the business and we are looking to find someone that has the commercial and surveying experience, but also a candidate that is comfortable in directing teams of varying seniority as well as working in tandem with other divisions. To be considered for this role you will have demonstrated a sustained track record of progression in previous roles. This role will suit someone who is potentially between 2 and 4 years away from Commercial Director level and is seeking to progress to this level in the relatively-short term. The business continues to grow and has an ambitious pipeline of future projects beyond the current long-term schemes, thus giving a genuinely long-term, progressive and rewarding career opportunity. The appointed candidate will not only be viewed as the eventual successor to the current Commercial Director, but will also benefit from an industry-leading salary package and long-term incentive plan.
About the Berkeley Group The Berkeley Group build homes and neighbourhoods. We focus on creating beautiful, successful places in London and the South of England. We work together with other people to tackle the shortage of good quality homes, and make a lasting contribution to the landscape and to the communities we help create. Berkeley’s first homes were typically large executive style properties, but today the Berkeley portfolio reflects the aspirations of a much broader range of home buyers, encompassing medium to large-scale developments in towns, cities and the countryside, mixed use schemes, riverside apartments, refurbished historic buildings and urban loft spaces. The company has also gained considerable experience in creating sustainable communities within complex regeneration schemes and today all building takes place on brownfield sites. The Berkeley Group is made up of six autonomous companies: St George, St James, Berkeley, St Edward, St William and St Joseph. We are publicly-owned and listed on the London Stock Exchange as a FTSE 100 company. Berkeley’s business strategy is called Our Vision. This focuses on five key areas: our customers, homes, places, operations and people. Through this framework we are striving to become a world class business. Sustainability is at the heart of Berkeley. Our single biggest contribution is to create new places that grace their surroundings and will stand the test of time. The environmental performance of each site is monitored tightly and we publish independent research measuring our social and economic impact. The Berkeley Group was voted one of Britain’s Most Admired Company across all industries from 2012 to 2016 and Housebuilder of the Year in 2015. In 2014, we won the Queens Award for Enterprise and in 2015 we were the first house-builder in Britain to have 500 sites registered by the Considerate Constructors Scheme. The Berkeley Foundation was set up in 2011 by the Berkeley Group. So far it has committed over £9 million to over 85 charities and worthy causes. The Berkeley Foundation focuses on four key areas: homes, jobs, skills and care. Funding comes in a variety of ways: the Berkeley Group covers overhead costs; employees have so far raised over £3 million; and we are also very grateful for support from our consultants, subcontractors and supply chain.
Berkeley Homes East and West Thames
Berkeley is the Group’s longest established brand, founded in 1976 and today creating medium to large-scale developments in towns, cities and the countryside, encompassing executive homes, mixed use schemes, riverside apartments, refurbished historic buildings and urban loft spaces. Berkeley is proud to be one of the leading property development companies in London and the South of England.
Berkeley Homes East and West Thames is one of the best performing regions within the Berkeley Group which currently has 23 offices across the Group.
Berkeley East & West Thames is headed up by an extremely stable management team, with the majority of directors having been with the business for over 15 years. This stability has set the foundations for an extremely successful and profitable region, accounting for 25% of the entire group turnover.
Kidbrooke Village and Woolwich Arsenal Regeneration Schemes
Kidbrooke Village is located in one of London’s most popular locations, the Royal Borough of Greenwich and comprises of four distinct neighbourhoods, integrated seamlessly into one community. These include: The Village Centre (Birch House, The Square and Centrum Court), Meridian Gate (The Crescent), Blackheath Quarter (Urban Houses) and City Point. The development covers 109 hectares including 35 hectares of green space with the master plan costing £1bn. The development will eventually consist of 4,800 new homes and 35 hectares of parkland and open space. To date 1,457 homes have been delivered. This includes nearly 800 homes for private sale, over 600 affordable homes including 170 Extra Care Homes. Upon completion, Kidbrooke Village will consist of a new train station with direct trains to Central London in 16 minutes, shops and amenities including a residents-only gym, restaurants and leisure facilities. With planning consent for almost 5,000 homes of which 25% will be affordable in total to be delivered, Royal Arsenal Riverside is one of the most exciting riverside addresses, occupying a prime location along the River Thames with a forthcoming on-site Crossrail Station and buzzing retail hub. Having delivered the first homes in 2001, there have been 165 Senior Living Homes and over 2,600 completions so far consisting of 868 affordable homes. The riverside location and mix of heritage buildings and modern architecture create a unique setting with 700,000+ sq ft non-residential now proposed containing retail, leisure, community, office space and light industrial with the on-site Crossrail Station secured for 2018 delivery. There will also be a direct Thames Clipper service and one of the largest Green Roofs in Europe in Wellington Park. Already home to over 5,000 residents as well as a host of cultural, community, retail, leisure and employment spaces, Royal Arsenal Riverside offers a creative and vibrant environment for work, rest and play in South East London.
The Berkeley Vision Summary
Head of Commercial - Job Description
Commercial Director/Head of Construction/Executive Directors
Liaison Point For:
Project Production Directors
Commercial Management / Quantity Surveying Qualification (such as HNC / HND or Degree desirable) Professional Qualification (such as MCIOB, MRICS, CIPS or SCM desirable) CSCS Card Over 10 years’ experience in high rise residential and mixed use construction / development.
Effective Written and Communication skills
2. Good Understanding of Current Market, Its drivers and Supply chain, current trends 3. Awareness of what represents good value for money and what does not 4. Ability to challenge and carry out effective reviews 5. Experience in managing people(People Issues) 6. Demonstrable leadership and governance skills 7. Ability to Lead by example 8. Attention to detail 9. Good problem solving skills 10. Ability to manage interfaces with other disciplines and stakeholders 11. A mature working Knowledge of design and construction activities 12. Demonstrable track record in procurement of Main Contractors/Trade Contractors 13. Effective Knowledge of Forms of Contract and key legal principals affecting construction. 14. Effective Knowledge of the Construction Act and its requirements
Deputizing for the Commercial Director
16. Provide Reports and Recommendations as my be required by the Commercial Director and or the Executive Board in a timely manner 17. Act as the Ultimate “Goal keeper” for all the production disciplines 18. Take control of and responsibility of all Commercial matters from Project Release Stage 19. Contribute to Group or Company working parties or sub committees as may be required by the Commercial Director. 20. Be an influencer with external resources and supply chain to ensure that outputs or decisions are delivered in a timely manner. 21. Demonstrate leadership in health and safety, environmental and sustainability matters through positive behaviour, understanding and compliance with company policies and procedures and carry out health and safety duties in accordance with company governance. 22. Promoting and implementing the philosophy of service to internal and external customers. 23. Ensure the Commercial teams contribute too and adhere to the Berkeley Group Culture and values(Our Vision) 24. Establish effective inter discipline coordination and liaison in conjunction with other Senior Managers 25. Ensure Commercial Teams compliance with the Construction Act 26. Review and facilitate as required the training needs of the Commercial Team. 27. Continuously appraise the development needs of the Commercial team and carry out annual and 6 monthly development appraisals in conjunction with the Commercial Director or nominated individuals. 28. Drive for consistency in approach and continued improvement of the Commercial/Production Teams. 29. Provide support and direction to the Commercial team on prioritisation of work outputs. 30. Review and provide feedback to the production disciplines on the quality and accuracy of their outputs. 31. Provide advice, assistance and support to the Commercial teams as to the correct management, administration and application of the Contracts (Main, Trade, Sub and Housing Association and any other Contract which involves the Construction process). 32. Gain in depth understanding of the Berkeley Forms of Contract. 33. Gain in depth understanding of other stakeholders and their core procedures and processes.
34. Gain knowledge of and implement the necessary controls to ensure adherence to Company Core Commercial procedures and processes. 35. Establish effective handover meetings From the Pre Development team to the commercial team at release to Work In Progress stage. 36. Actively participate with a commercial focus in design reviews, design development, buildability exercises, and timely value engineering exercises and risk reviews and the alike. 37. Deliver effective and consistent Benchmark information back to the Pre Development Manager including:- a. Providing regular feedback on tendered costs and actual costs b. Maintaining individual Project Benchmark Reports in the approved Company format 38. Implement effective reviews at appropriate gates with other disciplines and stakeholders 38. Drive for delivery of budgeted build costs and delivery of best value 39. Proactively monitor Project and site activities and highlight unplanned and/or unbudgeted activities, challenge and take the appropriate timely action in conjunction with the Project Production Directors and Director of Construction 40. Provide effective management and reporting of the Companies Procurement process in conjunction with Build and Technical colleagues to ensure that:- a. Appropriate reviews of Tender design and production information take place b. The review considers what has been sold to the Customer c. Comprehensive package work scopes documents, interface schedules and other supporting documents are produced for tender purposes d. Appropriate supply chain is selected to tender based on capability and overall value for money e. Comprehensive tender equalisation take place to ensure all aspects of each tender is carefully reviewed and recognised in compliance with the Companies Core processes f. Comprehensive tender recommendations are issued information in compliance with the Companies Core processes g. Robust and comprehensive main / trade contract orders are placed within the planned programme and to the latest and best information in compliance with the Companies Core processes h. All contracts are reviewed for completeness and compliance with Company processes and procedures prior to issue for execution 39. Ensure all Contracts are administered correctly post award and in accordance with Company procedures and protocols. 40. Ensure all Staff work within the levels (as advised from time to time) of delegated financial authorities. 41. Lead the preparation, negotiation and settlement of any construction contractual / legal disputes and insurance claims. 42. Secure Project End Life documentation for archiving in accordance with Company procedures and protocols
Key Reporting Outputs/Documents
Monthly Cost Reports Contribution to Monthly Production Meetings Contribution to Weekly Pre Plan meetings Tender Recommendation Reports CCOP (Client Change Order Process) NIP (Notification of Instruction to Proceed) TES (Tender Event Schedule)
Key Reports In to Head of Commercial
Managing Surveyor: Kidbrooke Managing Surveyor: Woolwich
Key Reports Out
Commercial Director Head of Construction Executive Directors
Why consider the role?
A primary reason for the creation of the role is with succession planning in mind so the appointed candidate will benefit from a clear pathway to Commercial Director level within Berkeley Homes East & West Thames. The company seeks to provide workplace environments that encourage and enable our people to lead healthy lifestyles and make choices that support their wellbeing. We are therefore implementing a programme that promotes the wellbeing of our staff and creates healthy workplaces.
The scale and longevity of the regeneration schemes are unparalleled in the sector. This gives the opportunity for the Head of Commercial to play a key role in the delivery two high-profile major projects that will undoubtedly enhance their career track record and experience. Berkeley Homes East & West Thames is one of the best performing regions within the Berkeley Group which currently has 23 offices across the Group. There are further schemes planned for Berkeley Homes East & West Thames which will give further opportunity.
In addition to 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and generous pension scheme, Berkeley Group offers a diverse range of employee benefits, including:
• • • • •
Generous Car / Travel Allowance Industry leading bonus scheme
For a confidential conversation please contact Ashley Evans (E: firstname.lastname@example.org) of The Management Recruitment Group on 0207 959 2368. Applications should consist of a CV and short covering letter/supporting statement and should be emailed in confidence to email@example.com.
Long term management incentive scheme Clear career path and progression from day one
A market leading basic salary package will be offered to attract industry leading candidates, in addition to the offer of a long-term incentive plan.
Briefing, informal and formal stage interviews are due to take place at Berkeley East and West Thames in late November 2017.
68 King William Street London EC4N 7DZ
Regal House 70 London Road Twickenham TW1 3QS Tel 020 8892 0115
111 Piccadilly Manchester M1 2HY Tel 0161 638 0936
Tel 020 7959 2368Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14
Made with FlippingBook Annual report