HEALTH & FITNESS The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
“It’s Time You Prepare To Spring Into Action Without Neck Pain! ” Work Pain Free
Formany of us, sitting at a desk, computer or even lifting is a daily part of our work routine. What you may not know, is that the routine may be more harmful long- term than you can imagine. Our bodies were made to move throughout a variety of positions during the day. From sitting to walking, to squatting, your body needs frequent movement pattern changes. If you have more of a sedentary job, then the lack of variety in your positions throughout the day can be detrimental to different areas of your body. (continued inside) LOOK INSIDE FOR A FREE BACK PAIN SCREENING!
• Work Pain Free • 4 Easy Steps to Strengthen Your Core Muscles
• See What Our Patients Have To Say • The Ideal Protein Weightloss Method
HEALTH & FITNESS The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
“Improve Your Posture While At Work! ” Work Pain Free
Here are some tips to help you feel your best at work, be more productive and have more energy: 1. Change your positions frequently If you sit at a desk or even stand for prolonged periods, try to accomplish parts of your job in different positions. For example, if you sit at a computer, try to get up every 30 minutes to walk around for 1-2 minutes or do a different task. 2. Try a standing desk Standing is far better than sitting. If your job requires you to sit at a computer for most of the day, consider a standing desk. Being able to stand for 2-3 hours a day, instead of sitting the whole time, can make a big difference in the way that you feel and the health of your spine. There are some good standing desks on the market such as varidesk.com that make it easy to transition from sitting to standing. 3. Sit correctly at your desk When sitting, make sure that you are sitting tall, like a string is pulling through the top of your head. Your computer should be directly in front of you, instead of off to the side. It should also be at the height where the top 1/3rd of the screen is at eye level. Furthermore, make sure your keyboard is at the adequate height, creating about a 90-degree bend or less in your elbows. Armrests can be helpful to alleviate pressure
on the shoulders when typing.
4. Vary your foot position If your job requires you to stand for a long time, such as in retail sales, make sure that you stand with one foot slightly forward. Alternate this throughout the day. This posture engages your hip and leg muscles more to alternate pressures in the spine. 5. Watch how you bend Many jobs require frequent bending, and in similar manners repetitively throughout the day. This may feel fine while you are doing the task, but can lead to repetitive trauma on the spinal muscles and discs. The goal is to make sure that your back is straight and you use your hips and knees to bend down to the item you are trying to get to. In addition, if you can kneel at times with one foot forward and the othar back, this can help you protect your spine further. In physical therapy, not only do we alleviate aches and pains, but we also get your body moving. Part of our process is to educate you on different posture techniques to help you feel your best throughout the day and at work. If you are suffering with back, neck, shoulder, hip or knee pain, give us a call to talk to one of our experts. A simple improvement in the way that you move can make a big difference in the way that you feel.
“Employees with back pain are absent 4 more days per year than workers without back pain. ”
- Integrated Benefits Institute, 2013
4 EASY STEPS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR CORE MUSCLES
Have you ever had that sagging feeling at the end of a long day? You know, when your belly seems to protrude way out and your back aches. The main reason for this is your lack of core strength. Your core is made up of a variety of muscles that support your trunk and spine. These include your abdominal, erector spinae, multifidi, pelvic, and hip muscles. A healthy, strong and flexible core is the key to having great posture, a slim stomach, relieving back pain, and feeling energetic. The key to a healthy spine The stronger and better coordinated your core muscles, the healthier your back can become. Having a strong core is critical to alleviating neck pain or back pain. Common conditions such as sciatica, spinal stenosis, herniated discs and low back pain, can be significantly helped by improving core strength. Our physical therapists are the unique medical specialists trained in analyzing your movement and strength. We teach you how to properly activate your core muscles for long-term maximum spine health. If your core feels weak, or if you are having back or neck discomfort, call us today to speak with one of our PT specialists. Your spine will be glad you did!
1. Engage your transverse abdominis The transverse abdominis is a deep muscle that wraps around the lower section of your abdomen, much like a belt. The ability to actively engage this muscle helps to put your spine into better alignment. Begin to work this muscle, by lying on your backwith your hands on your lower abdomen. Focus on relaxing all other muscles, except for drawing your lower abdominals in towards your belly button. Hold these contractions gently, but firmly for 10 seconds, then repeat 10 times. Once you get the hang of contracting your transverse abdominis lying down, begin to contract it in sitting, then standing. This is a great exercise to do any time of day. This exercise is a must for any mom, as the abdominals become stretched out during pregnancy. 2. Strengthen your hip abductors The hip abductors are on the outside of your hips and consist mainly of your gluteus medius and minimus. These muscles are easy to exercise standing up. Simply hold onto a firm surface and lift your leg out to the side for 10-15 repetitions. Feel the muscles working on the outside of the hip. Do at least 2-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions each side.
3. Mini-squats with squeezes When you do dynamic exercises you are able to work a wide variety of muscle groups together. Put a ball, such as a soccer or volleyball between your knees. If you don’t have a ball, place a rolled up pillow. Gently squeeze the ball between your knees and practice the tightening of your transverse abdominis as described above. Now, holding onto a steady surface, squat down slightly and try to feel your thighs, stomach and back working together to lower you down and push you up. Start out with 2 sets of 10 reps, then work your way up over a week to 3 sets of 15. 4. Alternate arms and legs If you have back pain, consult your physical therapist before trying this. Perform this exercise by lifting your right leg up slightly, then your left arm. You will feel this contracting the muscles in your spine. Now gently lower and repeat on the other side. Try 10 repetitions, then over the course of a week, work your way up to 2 sets of 15 repetitions. Remember not to go into any pain with this exercise and you only need to raise your arm and legs up 2-3 inches off the floor.
Do you want a natural solution to improving your health? Gain your freedom from pain medication and avoid costly surgery with physical therapy!
We can help you: Naturally relieve stiffness and swelling. Prevent aches and stiffness. Be more active with your friends and family.
Have more energy. Feel better at work.
Mention or Bring in This Coupon Today For a FREE Back Pain Screening
Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule. Expires 05-30-17. CALL TODAY: (316) 283-7187
Exercise Essentials Try these pain relief exercises:
“ Mindful Actions Reduce Stress At Work . ”
Relieves Low Back Pain
PRAYER STRETCH - LATERAL While on your hands and knees in a crawl position, slowly lower your buttocks towards your feet. Also, lower your chest towards the floor as you reach out towards the side. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times.
Mindfulness can be practiced at any time, even while walking, drinking tea, or writing an email. Follow these simple action steps to let go of the illusion of control and instead cultivate resilience on the job. 1. Loosen the grip—Let it Go Emotional stress can manifest as physical tension. To help ease both, practice relaxing your body with this simple exercise: • While sitting at your desk, settle your attention on your hands, and/or on your shoulders. • If you find your grip extremely tight (or your shoulders tense), realize that this will make you feel stress. • Choose to loosen your grip and/or release the tension in your shoulders as much as you can (Breathing helps!). • Take a moment to observe the different sensations you feel when you bring your attention to your body. Remember, this is something you can do even as you plod through your to-do list! 2. Establish regular meditation Committing to a regular meditation practice—even just 10 minutes a day—can go a long way toward helping you feel calm in the face of work stressors. There are a wide variety of practices to choose from, so experment to find what works best for you. Adapted from http://greatist.com/happiness/how-to-never-feel-stressed-at- work-again By Charlotte Lieberman
Helps Neck Pain
STANDING EXTENSIONS While standing, place your hands on your hips and lean back to arch your back. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat 5 times.
WIN A VISA GIFT CARD Whoever has the most “check in’s” at Advanced Physical Therapy in Hesston or Newton on Facebook wins a Visa giftcard. Check in today!
There Were Two Roads and I Chose...
Attend a FREE Information Workshop about the Ideal Protein Protocol. Learn how good life can be in a much shorter time than you think. When we know better we make different decisions. Moving forward with Ideal Protein allows you a whole new view of living. When you look and feel your best, it is a brand new day, then a month, a year, etc!! Call 316-283-7187 for your reservation at the FREE Information Workshop, Monday, May 15 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Advanced Physical Therapy. Enjoy this month’s testimonial from a successful Ideal Protein client who makes anyone’s day happier by just reading it. Imagine experiencing this much success! Dixie Pomeroy, RN, BSN Ideal Image, LLC, Weight Management Consultant and Coach
Ideal Protein is the progressive and effective route to losing fat pounds and as important is the education of the program that will help you make the choices for a lifestyle of choosing ‘smart’ when you return to all those ‘regular’ foods. Maintaining is the key and we have that key. It is more simple than you might think to maintain the success of your new, lower weight. When ‘we know better’ it is like getting in on the ‘secret’! Basic understanding of protein, carbohydrates and fat is a large part of the foundation to staying healthy for the years ahead. Speaking of the years ahead, where will you be in 2 years if you continue on the course of your last 3 years? Think. If your answer aligned with more mobility, less (or no) medication, more understanding of healthful eating choices, increased energy and a BMI less than 25, then you are on a good course! If any lifestyle results of the course you are on do not point you in this direction, your next step is to change your course of action .
Success Story from Kevin Baird, 52 years old “I knew something had to change. I had put on 100 pounds over the last 15 years. I had severe pain to my joints and my left knee was not wanting to hold me up. The doctors said surgery would be dangerous especially with the extra weight. I had high blood pressure. I was border line diabetic. I tried to diet but was only able to lose 15 lbs over a year. Then my boss started a weight loss program with his wife and I could not believe the quick results. He seemed to have the weight melting off of him while I was depriving myself and barely losing anything. That was my introduction to Ideal Protein. The program took discipline but the results were amazing. It was so wonderful to be putting forth effort and to actually be getting results. I am now 85 lbs. lighter. However the weight loss was not the best part. I no longer have high blood pressure. My knee can now hold me up with much less pain. There was one health benefit I never expected.... I had a long history of asthma, difficulty breathing and yearly pneumonia. I went an entire fall, winter and now into spring without pneumonia or a severe asthma attack. My doctor probably misses me but my check book is happy not paying for emergency rooms, doctor visits and expensive medications. I am so glad I took the steps to change. I am so glad I was introduced to Ideal Protein. I am so much happier and healthier. Ideal Protein is a program that works. ” - K.B.
AfterPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker