N E W S L E T T E R
NUTRITION WORKSHOP COMING SOON! P l e a s e c a l l ( 7 8 5 ) 2 7 1 - 5 5 3 3 t o r e g i s t e r t o d a y ! @ 6:30 pm Wednesday, November 28 th
"Helping YOU HELP YOURSELF this November."
Everyone to attend the Nutrition
Workshop will be entered in a drawing for a FREE 30-minute massage!
N E W S L E T T E R STAND UP TO YOUR SCIATICA PAIN FEEL YOUNGER. MOVE BETTER. GET STRONGER.
If you’ve experienced back pain, and even leg pain, you might have a deeper issue. Your minor aches and pinched nerves could be symptomatic of deeper issues. You might be facing sciatica. While “sciatica” may sound serious, it’s entirely curable. Inside, we’ll cover sciatica back pain. What Is Sciatica? Sciatica is pain that radiates alongside the sciatic nerve. This nerve, which branches from your lower back — spanning across your hips, buttocks and legs — can be injured or stressed in several ways. Mayo Clinic has pinpointed the most common cause of sciatica-related pain: inflammation along the spine, where compressed nerves are aggravated. While sciatica pain can be great, it can be treated. A lot of sciatica cases, in fact, can be resolved without operation — and in a few weeks. Even if you’ve suffered severe sciatica spawned from leg weakness, bladder changes or INSIDE : • A 30 Second Self-Test For Sciatica • 6 Helpful Nutrition Tips
• Patient Success Spotlight • Relieve Back Pain In Minutes
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica? Sciatica back pain is normally noticed as a pain radiating from the lower back. Often, this pain extends to the buttock, spiraling down the leg. If you’re suffering from sciatica, you might feel the discomfort anywhere along this nerve pathway. The pain can even extend to the calf. The pain itself can be dull, aching or even sharp. In some cases, the compressed nerve may feel like it burns, causing considerable pain. In other cases, the compressed nerve may simply issue a sharp jolt of pain. Some people experiencing sciatica may even have leg numbness, tingling or weakness. If sciatica isn’t treated, it can hinder mobility altogether. How Physical Therapy Can Help with Sciatica If you’re experiencing sciatica, contact a physician immediately. Medical News Today asserts that over-the-counter painkillers may alleviate pain, but in-depthphysical therapy isoftenneeded.Physical therapycan reducesciatica compression by carefully introducing exercises and relaxing treatments. These treatments, hand picked by medical professionals, can completely eliminate sciatica over time. If you’re experiencing back pain, don’t wait. Call one of our professionals today, and ask about physical therapy options. Your mobility is important, and your back can absolutely be healed. https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/what-is-sciatica#1 -https://www.medicinenet.com/sciatica/ article.htm - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sciatica/symptoms-causes/syc- 20377435 - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7619.php
nerve issues, there’s still hope. What Causes Sciatica?
In most cases, sciatica occurs when one of the back’s disks is herniated. It can also happen if the spine narrows — an effect called spinal stenosis. As we age, our backs undergo a lot of stress. This stress takes a toll, causing inflammation in several areas. If this inflammation reaches a certain point, it may compress these nerves — resulting in pain.
A 30 Second Self-Test For Sciatica
• Do you have back pain or leg pain while standing or walking? • Do you have a shooting pain in your leg when you stand up? • Do you need to sit down for a minute for the pain to go away?
30 SECOND SELF-TEST FOR SCIATICA 1. Sitting on a chair, look down. 2. Straighten one leg, with toes in the air. 3. Repeat for the other side.
What it means: If the leg with pain, numbness or tingling does not go up as high as the other leg, you likely have Sciatica. Your next step is to see what is causing the pressure on your sciatic nerve. Call us to schedule an appointment...Rebound PhysicalTherapy can help you relieve your Sciatica pain.
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
Honey Garlic Shrimp
INGREDIENTS • 1/3 cup honey • 1/4 cup soy sauce (reduced sodium) • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic • 1 lb medium uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined • 2 teaspoons olive oil
Loosens Lower Back
SINGLE KNEE TO CHEST STRETCH Lie on your back and bring one knee to your chest, keeping the other foot flat on the floor. Keep your lower back pressed to the floor. Hold for at least 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat 2 to 4 times with each leg.
1. Whisk the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger (if using) together in a medium bowl. 2. Place shrimp in a large zipped-top bag orTupperware. Pour 1/2 of the marinade mixture on top, give it all a shake or stir, then allow shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, or up to 8-12 hours. Cover and refrigerate the rest of the marinade for step 3. (Time-saving tip: while the shrimp is marinating, steam broccoli and microwave some quick brown rice). 3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place shrimp in the skillet. Discard used marinade. Cook shrimp on one side until pink— about 45 seconds—then flip shrimp over. Pour in remaining marinade and cook it all until shrimp is cooked through, about 1 minute more. 4. Serve!
CALL US TODAY IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING BACK PAIN
Patient Success Spotlight
6 Helpful Nutrition Tips
1. Drink green tea instead of sweet tea. Green tea has a natural component that helps speed up your metabolism. Skip the box tea and opt for the brew-it-yourself with boiling water and a tea-bag-type tea. 2. Pre-plan your meals. You plan your weekend getaways and activities, so why not your meals? Make it easy by preparing all of your food on Sunday so that you have enough meals for the week. The best part: You’ll save money. 3. Don’t skip breakfast. When you wake up in the morning, your body is running on fumes. Eating a breakfast with protein, carbs, and healthy fat kicks your metabolism into high gear and provides energy for the day. 4. Enjoy more fruits and veggies. It’s easy to sink into a vegetable rut, eating the same boring veggies week after week. Try to include a mix of in-season colorful veggies in your meals gives your body a nutrient kick. 5. Snack at work. Bring snacks to work and graze throughout the day. When you eat more often—five to six times per day—you’re far less likely to overeat and more likely to stay energized. 6. Hydrate often. Start off your day by drinking two glasses of water and keep drinking at each meal, as well as before and after your workout, to stay hydrated. Carry a water bottle with you as a reminder to stay hydrated.
I no longer fear movements because I'm afraid it will trigger a spasm. “When I came to Rebound I was having back spasms so severe and painful that they would immobilize me.They were particularly bad when twisting to the right (like when backing out from a parking space) or leaning backward (like getting a shampoo). I was beginning to avoid actions and activities for fear it would trigger the pain. The Rebound staff helped me develop my core muscles, took me through helpful exercises, massaged the tense muscles, and instructed me on helpful exercises to do at home. Things improved slowly but steadily and today I'm not limited in my activities. I no longer fear movements because I'm afraid it will trigger a spasm. I deeply appreciate the Rebound staff for evaluating the problem, treating it, and providing me a much greater quality of life. They are pleasant, thorough, and professional. My back spasms are a thing of the past." - S.W.
Discover How To Live Pain-Free!
At Rebound Physical Therapy, you will receive hands-on therapy treatments by our friendly, caring health experts during focused and individualized sessions.
FREE PT SCREENING!
1. CALL AND TALK TO YOUR THERAPIST
2. DISCOVER WHY YOUR PAIN HAS COME BACK
CALL US TODAY! WE OFFER 2 CONVENIENT LOCATIONS
3. GET YOUR CUSTOM RECOVERY PROGRAM
T: (785) 271-5533 Rebound Main Clinic
T: (785) 266-5850 Rebound South Clinic
FIND US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Call to schedule. Expires 12-15-18Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online