CANDIDATE APPLICATION PACK
N o .21
IN THE UK FOR BOOSTING GRADUATE SALARIES
UNIVERSITY IN THE UK
OF GRADUATES WORKING OR IN FURTHER STUDY
in The Guardian University Guide 2020
(The Economist 2017)
A MESSAGE FROM THE DIRECTOR OF ESTATES AND CAMPUS SERVICES
YOU WILL BE JOINING ESTATES AND CAMPUS SERVICES AT AN EXCITING TIME AS WE CONTINUE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF OUR £400M ESTATE MASTERPLAN OVER THE NEXT TEN YEARS. WE HAVE AMBITIOUS STRATEGIES AND HIGH ENVIRONMENTAL ASPIRATIONS. Our £57m new Sports Facility is under construction and has BREEAM design certification of outstanding. On completion, we expect this to be the first sport and leisure facility to achieve an 'outstanding' rating. An international design competition has taken place and a team has been appointed for our £100m+ new academic building. Further projects are now at briefing stage. This role will play a vital part in delivering the University's aspirations. Fiona Bell
THE UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
WORK AT THE UNIVERSITY RANKED 21ST IN THE UK*
★★★★★ for Teaching, Employability, Internationalisation, Facilities, and Innovation. (QS Top Universities 2018)
QS World University Rankings 2018
4,000 international and EU students from 150 countries.
2,800 24,000 STAFF STUDENTS
* Guardian University Guide 2020
OUR MISSION AND VALUES
A UNIVERSITY’S PRIMARY PURPOSE IS TO EDUCATE AND TRANSFORM LIVES. TO THIS, WE WOULD ADD THAT IT’S ALSO TO TRANSFORM THE LIVES OF THOSE AROUND US. Our clarity of purpose is driven by our mission, vision and values. OUR MISSION: ‘To delight in creating, sharing and applying knowledge to make a difference to individuals and society.’ In our vision, we are committed to the delivery of transformational education, research and innovation. Ambitious • We pursue bold ideas in an environment where creativity, innovation and success is encouraged and celebrated • We nurture and value relationships and partnerships that foster a global outlook • We inspire and support staff and students to achieve their potential and meet the challenges of society • We never settle for second best WE ARE:
Responsible • We act with integrity for the greater good • We insist on upholding the highest academic and professional standards • We respect and celebrate diversity and equal opportunity through an inclusive culture • We aim for sustainability across all our activities Open • We work consultatively and collaboratively to benefit from new perspectives • We share ideas and maintain transparency • We are trustworthy and do what we say we will do • We listen and respond to the needs of our students and staff
You can read more detail on our plans for shaping the University’s future at port.ac.uk/vision.
THE UNIVERSITY’ STRATEGIC AMBITION COMMITS US TO INVESTING SIGNIFICANTLY IN OUR STAFF, FACILITIES AND ESTATE. WE HAVE DEVELOPED OUR ESTATE MASTERPLAN TO PROMOTE STUDENT EXPERIENCE, FACILITATE COLLABORATIVE LEARNING AND GROW OUR RESEARCH AND INNOVATION ACTIVITIES. The resources we will commit to achieving this plan will strengthen the brand and reputation of our University by providing an estate which both ourselves and our city can be proud of and which meets our current and future needs. As part of this investment we plan to grow our Estates and Campus Services Projects Team and are seeking an individual with the relevant expertise to contribute to the delivery of the masterplan, which will see investment in excess of £400m in the medium term. We are seeking to appoint a Project Manager to play a vital role in the delivery of the masterplan. The role holder will lead the development, procurement and delivery of estate development and improvement projects, typically valued up to £10 million in value across the University’s diverse estate portfolio. The successful candidate will have proven experience of leading and managing technically complex construction and property projects in a lead project manager role. You will have excellent interpersonal and communications skills. You will have in your portfolio experience of both new build and refurbishment projects and will hold a relevant professional qualification. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is keen to further develop their project management experience across a diverse variety of buildings and projects in a dynamic city centre environment.
Estates & Campus Services Department
Department/Service: Location: Position Reference No: Grade of Post:
Long Term Maintenance Team Manager
Effective date of job description:
PURPOSE OF JOB Project Management of various Capital & Long Term Maintenance Projects.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Project Management of various maintenance, new build & alteration/refurbishment Projects (Capital & Revenue). 2. Compiling & managing Project Teams which may include both Internal & External members. Obtaining Fee Proposals from External Consultants & making Appointments in accordance with University / Legal requirements plus monitoring & managing their performance, including appraising additional Fees claims to assess their validity. 3. Acting as Employer’s Representative where external Project Management has been engaged. 4. Producing Project Client Strategic Briefs & Financial Appraisals, including basic Initial Project Budget Estimates. 5. Generating Project Scopes of Work. Including providing brief for consultants and developing technical requirements for the project. 6. Project Risk Identification including Financial & Commercial. Risk Management strategies. 7. Project Programming including planning to minimize operational disruption & working within tight deadlines, Cost including budgeting, value for money analysis & cash flow management, and Quality control including inspections, witnessing, snagging & de-snagging. 8. Project Reports – Preparation and presentation on progress, financial monitoring and project issues to keep key stakeholders informed. 9. Managing appointed Contractors & working with the Estates Health & Safety Manager to ensure that Projects are delivered in line with CDM Regulations & the University’s Safe Systems of Work (including RAMS) / Health & Safety Policy & Regulations. Obtaining & managing Permits-to-Work along with any necessary isolations where required. Undertaking the role of CDM Principle Designer when appropriate/required. 10. Working with the Estates Environmental & Energy Manager to ensure that Project-related Environmental Management documentation is maintained in line with business & legislative requirements. 11. Obtaining quotations for work etc. in accordance with the University’s procedures including responsibility for the compilation of tender documentation and agreement of tender lists. Ensuring Design & Tender documentation is sufficiently robust. 12. Arranging / managing Planning & Building Control Applications. 13. Arranging surveys- Determine types of surveys required for projects. Appoint relevant specialists as required. 14. Assisting with implementation of the Estates Department Long Term Maintenance Programme, so that the University is fully compliant with all relevant Legislation / Standards & that the University’s property is maintained to enhance the Student Experience.
15. Working with Estates colleagues to ensure that Project Design Proposals are fit-for-purpose & consider future Maintenance. Provision of Technical Advice concerning Design & Specifications, etc. 16. Obtaining / maintaining Project / Building / Asset records – including Health & Safety Files / Operation, Maintenance Manuals & As-Built Information. Arranging for Estates Staff & Building Users to receive Demonstrations & Training in the operation of altered / new / refurbished Buildings. 17. Assisting with maintenance of the Estates Standard Engineering Specification. 18. Team working, including forming positive working relationships, proactively contributing to the effectiveness & success of the Estates Department. 19. Flexibly work, outside the University’s core hours, if required. 20. Any other duties, which may be of various nature, as may be reasonably required by the University. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS (KEY INDIVIDUALS THE JOB HOLDER WOULD BE WORKING WITH): • Director of Estates & Campus Services • Deputy Director of Estates • Long Term Maintenance Manager • Senior Project Manager
• Strategic Maintenance Manager • Reactive Maintenance Manager • Deans of Faculty & Faculty Managers • Heads of Central Services • External Suppliers of Goods & Services • Estates & Central Health & Safety Management [including Compliance Engineer] • Energy & Environmental Manager • Helpdesk Team • HR Staff
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
E E E E E
AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S
• Construction Project Management experience / knowledge.
• Knowledge of different Contract Procurement routes.
• Knowledge of modern & traditional Construction Types / Technologies.
• Knowledge of Change Management principles & procedures.
• Knowledge of using MS Office, including Word, Excel & Project + Web Browsers & E-mail Applications.
• Knowledge of Construction Health & Safety requirements including CDM Regulations.
D D D
• Knowledge of Consultant Forms of Appointment.
• Detailed knowledge of Contract Forms including JCT & NEC.
• Understanding of European Public Procurement procedures.
• Recent demonstrable knowledge & experience of managing Projects with M&E content.
• Experience of managing Building Maintenance programmes.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Well proven / competent Project Management skills having led multi-skilled teams.
• Ability to develop good working relationships with Colleagues & other University Staff, External Consultants & Contractors. E
E E E E
• Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
• Excellent Communication skills
• Ability to initiate work & respond to demands
• Excellent organisational ability
• Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and prioritise tasks without the need for extensive supervision E
• Ability to work collaboratively to reconcile differences between different Stakeholders
• Financial Management including ensuring best value & decision making skills
• Ability to think creatively when problem solving
• Experience of project management for a Public Sector Client-Side organisation
• Ability to work on all project stages including feasibility
D D D
• Seeking & ongoing continuous improvement
Legend Rating of attribute: E = essential; D = desirable Source of evidence: AF = Application Form; S = Selection Programme
QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• A Construction-related full Degree & / or full Corporate Membership of a Construction Professional Institution, e.g. CIOB, RICS, RIBA, APM, MBIFM. E
D D D
AF, S AF, S AF, S
• Full Driving Licence
• Demonstrable CPD
• CSCS Card
E E E E E E E
AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S AF, S
• Significant relevant experience in a Construction Project Management role
• Experience in Project Managing a variety of different types of Projects ranging in value from £250 to £1m+
• Significant experience of managing Budgets
• Experience of managing External Consultants
• Ability to deal diplomatically with issues and people
• Strong ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Honesty, integrity and confidentially
• Experience of working in a Higher Educational environment
Legend Rating of attribute: E = essential; D = desirable Source of evidence: AF = Application Form; S = Selection Programme
TERMS AND CONDITIONS Annual leave entitlement is 32 working days in a full leave year. In addition, the University is normally closed from Christmas Eve until New Year’s Day inclusive and there are a further five bank holidays. There is a probationary period of 12 months, during which new staff will be expected to demonstrate their suitability for the post. It is a condition of the appointment for the proper performance of the duties of the post that the appointee will take up residence at a location such that they are able to fulfil the full range of their contractual duties. This residential requirement will be expected to be fulfilled within 12 months of taking up the appointment. The University has a scheme of financial assistance towards the cost of relocation, details of which can be found on the University website.
It is the University’s policy to take up references for successful candidates and to ask them to submit documentary evidence of their qualifications on taking up their appointment. Candidates who are shortlisted will be asked to bring their passport and any other ‘Right to Work’ documentation to interview where it will be copied, checked and verified as part of the University’s prevention of illegal working process.
The appointee will be eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme. There is a comprehensive sickness and maternity benefits scheme.
HOW TO APPLY For a confidential conversation please contact our advisor Nick Coppard (email@example.com) of The Management Recruitment Group on T: 020 3962 9900. Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV (of not more than 4 pages), Project List and a Covering Statement (of not more than 1 pages).
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 5th January Interviews will take place in w/c 27th January
THE UNIVERSITY AND THE CITY: A BREATH OF FRESH AIR
LIVELY, VIBRANT AND STEEPED IN HERITAGE, THE WATERFRONT CITY OF PORTSMOUTH HAS LONG BEEN A GATEWAY – A PORT OPEN TO NEW AND GAME-CHANGING PEOPLE AND IDEAS.
A place of commerce and exploration, Portsmouth has innovation running through its veins.
Campus buildings are dotted throughout the ‘University Quarter’ in the city centre. We are part of the bustle of city life, and many of our staff live in Portsmouth while students often settle here after graduation, further enriching our city’s boundless creativity and vitality. AN ISLAND CITY The UK’s only island city, Portsmouth offers a wonderful quality of life. Easy to get around with a terrific sense of community, highlights include four miles of beach fronting the Solent, where you can enjoy sailing, windsurfing and other watersports. Foodies and culture vultures love Southsea’s thriving independent scene and, like any great city, Portsmouth has a fantastic range of bars, restaurants and cafés. For shopping, you have Gunwharf Quays, home to the 170m iconic Emirates Spinnaker Tower. A MARITIME HISTORY AND FUTURE Home to the Royal Navy, the Historic Dockyard attractions include HMS Victory and the award-winning Mary Rose Museum. Millions of visitors flock here from around the world. The city is also home to Ben Ainslie Racing and, in 2016, hosted the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series. SPORT The University is the proud main sponsor of Portsmouth Football Club. This strong partnership will play a huge role in the city, to help increase participation rates in higher education for the benefit of local communities. Every year, Southsea hosts the Great South Run, which has come to represent the passion for health and wellbeing in this waterfront city. ROAD, RAIL, SEA AND AIR We are just over an hour from London by rail, and Southampton Airport can be reached within 30 minutes. The International Ferry Port offers regular trips to Europe. The New Forest, the South Downs National Park and the Isle of Wight are within easy reach, as are the historic cities of Winchester and Chichester. Visit visitportsmouth.co.uk for more information.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker