The year is 1846 in County Cork, Ireland and Thomas Gibbons Hawkes is being born into a prominent family with a glassworking heritage. He emigrated to the United States and after working for other glass companies, he opened his own cutting shop and was incorporated as T.G. Hawkes & Company in 1890. European taste for sparkling cut glass at this time was emulated in the United States in what was called the Brilliant Cut Glass Period. Over 1,000 cutting shops were founded to meet the demand and T.G. Hawkes & Company flourished and remained in operation for 82 years. Fast forward to modern day and the T.G. Hawkes trademark is now owned and brought back to life everyday by Hawkes Crystal. The mission of Hawkes Crystal is not to reproduce original Hawkes designs, but to translate these original patterns and shapes into a new modern collection. This new collection and generation of Hawkes Crystal is about reinventing and honoring this very important artisan tradition. Master Brilliant Cutter and Designer, Aidan J. Scully is the proud acquirer of the Hawkes trademark and chose Tiffin, Ohio as the home for the Hawkes Crystal workshop and gallery. Mr. Scully is one of only a handful of Master Brilliant Cutters currently creating in the United States. A native of County Cork, Ireland, Aidan is proud to have apprenticed under Edward Flavin, one of the first five apprentices of famed Waterford Crystal. Hawkes Crystal is located at 207 South Washington Street in Tiffin and the magic of contemporary crystal awaits you!
16 | DestinationSenecaCounty.org
Made with FlippingBook Ebook Creator